Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Halal meat cooked in same oil as non halal

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salam

Does anyone know whether it is permissible to eat zabihah meat that is cooked in the same vat of oil as non-zabihah meat? I ask because some resturaunts do this and Muslims eat the zabihah meat from these places trusting that it's halal. 

Guest silasun

Wasalam

From najasah perspective: depends on marja. For Ayatollah Khamenei, doubtful meat (i.e. not sure if zibh or not) is not najis so the meat would be tahir.

But then does the halal meat somehow absorb this doubtful meat? If it does then the meat is no longer halal.

• Veteran Member
10 hours ago, silasun said:

Wasalam

From najasah perspective: depends on marja. For Ayatollah Khamenei, doubtful meat (i.e. not sure if zibh or not) is not najis so the meat would be tahir.

Is non-zabihah meat najis? I thought it was tahir anyway as long as it is not pork?

10 hours ago, silasun said:

But then does the halal meat somehow absorb this doubtful meat? If it does then the meat is no longer halal.

Yes this is the main question I have. 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Sumerian said:

According to Al-Sistani, non-dhabihah meat is najis sister. 

I second what the brother said.

Only exception is fish. For example, they could fry cod and catfish in the same vessel but the cod would be okay for to eat.

• Advanced Member

Salaam, as far as i know, its not permissable as cross contamination of juices/blood occurs. The same thing happens when you go to a sandwich shop and the person making the sandwiches just made a ham sandwich for the person in front of you-they need to change their gloves before they touch your sandwich ingredients, otherwise najasat transfers.

This can be infered by certain rules that pertain to how you wash a frying pan if non-halal meat has been cooked in it, or a dog has drank out of it...something like washing it seven times. I don't remember  exactly because it's not something I have had to worry about yet, its something ive seen in my study into Islam and our madhab.

There's also another issue/scenario if you have a serving tray and either wine or some other haram substance has come in contact with it. Its supposed to be washed with soil because pure soil  is tahir and will remove whatever the spiritual impurity is from the serving tray. A very devout and knowledgeable sister i know follows these rules. She was a muqalid of Ayatlah Khoi, and then Ayatullah Bahjat, and these rules she has continued to practice as its allowed to continue to practice the rules of a deceased marja if youve already been follwing them before they passed, but for new issues not covered by the deceased marja, guidance from a living marja must be obtained, so I don't know if ayatullah khamenei, Ayatollah sistani or any of the other Marjas include these rules as necessary to make something spiritually clean. Dog saliva is also supposed to be washed off w soil as opposed to soap due to the status of soil as a spiritually purifying agent. Soap and water is fine to get bacteria off of you, but it's not going to cleanse you spiritually. A lot of people get these two things confused. Their aql tells them that soap  should be sufficient for cleansing from dog saliva, but its not. Islam doesn't just look at the physical aspect of something, it looks at how we are affected spiritually by things, and to spiritually purify stuff is different than to sanitize and sterilize something.

This kind of reminds me of the situation I see in the Masjid all the time.. People take their shoes off before they enter the prayer area, but then walk all around the entryway floor area in their SOCKS where people walked in with their shoes on:/  They then proceed to walk all over the place where we put our heads and our hands when we pray.. I don't get it, it's as if they have gotten stuck in thinking that it's the SHOES that are the problem, when in reality, its the cleanliness issue of the transfer of DIRT,  regardless of how it gets in tbe masjid, (dirty shoes, dirty socks, dirty bare feet-its ALL THE SAME:(  that is the problem. When people walk with their socks all over the floor that people  walked all over with their shoes, theyr going to be using their socks as a sponge to accumulate all that filth on the floor, and then walk it into the Masjid where we pray:/  I've even seen people go into the restroom in their socks with no sandals on, and then walk right back out into the Prayer area and sit down on the carpet where they're going to pray:/ The same kind of thing happens when people let their kids run loose around the Masjid during programs, and the kids are running around outside in the parking lot with their shoes off, and then they come back in the Masjid and run all over the Masjid where we put our hands on our faces to pray on the floor:/

This is a reason why we take our shoes off when we go in our homes, so we don't track filth all over our house from outside, but something happens at the Masjid where we don't seem to understand that walking on the floor everybody just walked with their shoes is the same as walking in the Masjid with their shoes on. It's cross-contamination. The socks and/or bare acting as a carrier for the filth.

I dont know why we as Muslims, who clearly have the most practical, logical and defined guidlines to live our lives according to do things like this --.--

So yea, its a cross contamination issue.

W/s

Sorry for the rant!

• Advanced Member

Rereading the original question again, it made me think of taking a bath in bath water someone just washed their dog in:/ Pretty sure im not going to be considered clean from a spirituall perspectivet OR a bacterial perspective,lol..but yea, if the meat is coated with a mixture of oil that is mixed with non halal fat/blood/meat juice, im pretty sure its not permissable.

W/s

Guest silasun
6 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Is non-zabihah meat najis? I thought it was tahir anyway as long as it is not pork?

Yes this is the main question I have. 

It is najis. But if you have a doubt whether it was zabiha or not (and to be fair, a good chunk of non-halal meat in the West is zabiha) then you can take it as tahir, although you aren't allowed to eat it until you're sure it's zabiha.

Edited by silasun
  • Moderators

The halal meat would be najis. When haram meat is placed inside the oil, and since haram meat is already najis, the nijasah transfers into the oil and contaminates the entire oil. When the halal meat is placed inside the oil that became najis, the najis oil transfers into the halal meat and contaminates it too, thus making the halal meat turn najis.

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Hassan- said:

The halal meat would be najis. When haram meat is placed inside the oil, and since haram meat is already najis, the nijasah transfers into the oil and contaminates the entire oil. When the halal meat is placed inside the oil that became najis, the najis oil transfers into the halal meat and contaminates it too, thus making the halal meat turn najis.

Oookay thank you. So basically you're telling me that the halal Popeyes that I've been craving is off limits because only the bone-in chicken is halal but not their chicken tenders and most likely they cook it in the same oil... :cry:

I will call and check to see if they separate the oil but I'm doubtful. 

Thanks for everyone's help!

• Advanced Member

@ireallywannaknow

Salaamun aleikum, umm, do you happen to live near the Bay Area in California? I keep hearing about a Popeyes that SUPPOSEDLY exists somewhere in this area, and they SUPPOSEDLY have halal fried chicken, but so far, no one has been able to direct me to the location, and every Popeyes i have called says its not their location nor do they know which location it is:/ 

<slightly annoyed>

Lol,

W/s

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, shia farm girl said:

@ireallywannaknow

Salaamun aleikum, umm, do you happen to live near the Bay Area in California? I keep hearing about a Popeyes that SUPPOSEDLY exists somewhere in this area, and they SUPPOSEDLY have halal fried chicken, but so far, no one has been able to direct me to the location, and every Popeyes i have called says its not their location nor do they know which location it is:/ 

<slightly annoyed>

Lol,

W/s

Wa alaikum Salam nah I live on the east coast, sorry! 

• 2 years later...
Guest Syeda

Hi, is it allowed to eat halal fish that is fried with non halal fish. For example Snapper fried in the same oil used for dory? According to Ayatollah Sistani please. 

• Veteran Member
On 6/19/2018 at 12:52 PM, ireallywannaknow said:

Salam

Does anyone know whether it is permissible to eat zabihah meat that is cooked in the same vat of oil as non-zabihah meat? I ask because some resturaunts do this and Muslims eat the zabihah meat from these places trusting that it's halal. 

Salaam alaykom

The non halal slaughterd meat is najis and makes the oil and anything that it touches with mositure-wetness najis also. Hence without thenpot being purified or and oil changed the next meat or anything else that is placed in it will become najis. Hence one cannot eat that. 

• Veteran Member
22 hours ago, Guest Syeda said:

Hi, is it allowed to eat halal fish that is fried with non halal fish. For example Snapper fried in the same oil used for dory? According to Ayatollah Sistani please. 

Other fishs are not najis so najasat shall not transfer. 

• Veteran Member
22 hours ago, Guest Syeda said:

Other fishs are not najis so najasat shall not transfer. 

However take precaution not to comsume any part of the non scaled fish

• Veteran Member

Salaam alaykom 

First may we ask 

Is the resturant owned by a muslim? Or are you certian that is halal meat it has been confirmed to you in the first place ? 

Second is it probable to you that they will fry it together ? Or is it 50% they may and 50% they may not ?