Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Alcohol - lunch with friends and paying for this

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam, 

I had lunch today with some friends, i invited them, and we ended up going to an Italian restaurant. This friend is a mulsim but not very practicing. He chose a dish that contained wine in it. I payed for the lunch. 

So my question is, is this haram? And if it is, then what would be advisable in this case as the host.... just say 'sorry but my religion prohibits me to deal or pay for alcohol?'... 

And what if it was non mulims colleagues, and they chose something that had alcohol or pork in it?

Thanks

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Salaam Alaykum Brother

You shouldn't have done that. Do tawbah.

Whenever you go out with your friends or colleagues, tell them that prior to ordering anything. You should not be ashamed of that. Your belief is different and they should understand and respect you.

I remember that my boss invited me to his house, and his wife put a glass of wine on the table. I became upset, and told him that my religion doesn't let me to sit behind this table because of wine. He then put his wine in the kitchen, not on the table.

May Allah keep you away from all sins

May Allah reward you for your steadfastness. Very happy to know you are so firm in the religion. 

• Moderators
On 6/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, Natsu said:

Woah brother,we humans cant avoid sins and you’re saying it in such a way that makes it look like Allah doesn’t forgive anyone

It was pun on the word commuting; no one gets my puns. :furious:

My apologies if I offended anyone.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101
  • Moderators
On 6/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, Natsu said:

Woah brother,we humans cant avoid sins and you’re saying it in such a way that makes it look like Allah doesn’t forgive anyone

He was kidding, Brother. It was a joke. A misspelled word. Instead of committing sins, he wrote commuting sins. Two different words. 

Edit: Sorry. I should have read the reply above me. He already replied.

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
edit
  • Advanced Member
On 6/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

I don't know if this matters or changes anything in this situation of OP

but alcohol vaporizes  from 70 degrees Celsius, so if the dish is cooked well enough it shouldn't contain any?
Furthermore. Sayyed Al- Sistani considers it to be tahir. 

However, according to https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/thirteenth-greater-sin

It goes beyond just vaporising during cooking, because you're also purchasing and allowing the means of production? It seems the entire process is haram?

One more tradition says, that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) cursed ten types of people in connection with wine:

1) One who plants a sapling with the intention of producing wine.

2) One who cultivates this sapling so that wine may be manufactured.

3) One who crushes the grapes.

4) One who drinks wine.

5) One who serves the wine.

6) One who transports wine.

7) One who takes delivery from the supplier.

8) One who sells wine.

9) One who buys it.

10) One who uses the income that is earned by (making or selling) wine.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, The Light said:

What about someone who works as a cashier in a retail store, which sells alcohol alongside other normal products? Is that job problematic?

Hope this helps:

Question
: What is the ruling on a Muslim working in a restaurant in which he must serve alcohol to patrons of the restaurant?

Answer: It is not permissible to do anything in connection with alcohol or wine.

Question: I am running a store and I have non-Muslim customers who want me to sell them alcoholic drinks. Can a Muslim buy and sell intoxicating alcohol to non-Muslims?
Answer: It is not permissible to buy and sell alcohol.
  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Hope this helps:

Question
: What is the ruling on a Muslim working in a restaurant in which he must serve alcohol to patrons of the restaurant?

Answer: It is not permissible to do anything in connection with alcohol or wine.

Question: I am running a store and I have non-Muslim customers who want me to sell them alcoholic drinks. Can a Muslim buy and sell intoxicating alcohol to non-Muslims?
Answer: It is not permissible to buy and sell alcohol.

Thanks for your answer, but this doesn't directly answer the question.

When someone works in a retail store, the only purpose of that store is not to sell only alcohol, but everything. Alcohol only is a small percentage of items that are sold. In addition, the cashier only handles the monetary transactions, and he/she does not profit from that which is sold, but only works for a salary. 

It's better to ask a marjaa regarding these issues.

Edited by The Light
  • Advanced Member
16 hours ago, The Light said:

Thanks for your answer, but this doesn't directly answer the question.

When someone works in a retail store, the only purpose of that store is not to sell only alcohol, but everything. Alcohol only is a small percentage of items that are sold. In addition, the cashier only handles the monetary transactions, and he/she does not profit from that which is sold, but only works for a salary. 

It's better to ask a marjaa regarding these issues.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Ok, I think I found some rule that gives some permission. There's a Q & A in Ayt. Sistani's code of practice, work and investment section, question 288:

"288. Question: Is a muslim allowed to work in grocery stores that sell liquor in one of its sections, and his work is only as a cashier?

Answer: He is allowed to receive the price of the items other than liquor and also the price of liquor, if the buyers are non-Muslims."

Is there a contradiction or am I missing a point, in where "liquor" is different than alcohol or "receiving price" means something else?