Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
rkazmi33

Madonna- [Edited Out] complex

Rate this topic

@Amira00 It's one thing to discuss the things being done by ISIS and another thing to make a hit TV show based on these practices. 

If the point is just to discuss such inhumane practices it can be done with the use of documentaries and lectures rather than a more glossy medium like a drama.  

2 hours ago, Amira00 said:

I actually think the complete opposite. Unmarried women are more so degraded than married women in my opinion, especially in our cultures. Unmarried women are prized more if they are more obedient, dress more modestly, talk less/ are less "mouthy" , if they're smart etc. Also, unmarried women are almost like commodities to be passed from father to groom. (I'm generalising ALOT here and I'm looking at worst case scenario, I know it's not that bad in all parts of the world). And married women are valued more in my opinion, because they're essentially bringing up and raising the future generations, so I don't get how this relates to the Madonna-W complex. I don't think that the change in the way women aren't treated before and after marriage is that drastic, unless it's in a third world, extremely sexist country. 

I don't know it may be a middle class thing. In my community, people actually feel proud that women are pampered so much before marriage, and they deal with such harsh conditions after marriage. My mother was pampered a lot before marriage, but her life was really hard after marriage. Now whenever I try to help her in house-work, she tell me if you want to help me, get married. She became very strict with me when I was married, and she is cold-hearted towards my married sister. Whenever I mention her problems, she always says, no she is living a very good life, she has no problem, everything is fine. I don't agree with this thinking. I think if you pamper a person, it will become harder for that person to deal with hardships. 

You would think that women should be valued more because they are bringing up and raising future generations. But that's what's strange about handmaid's tale also, handmaids are the most valuable resources, still they are degraded and abused the most. I even heard a  comment from a woman, that you are considered a child until  you get married. As soon as you get married, you are considered an adult. 

Edited by rkazmi33

4 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I agree with you, that men generally do have such tendencies to treat women in a bad way, look down and emotionally abuse them.

Being a Pakistani, a lot of our jokes do revolve around degrading women. Just look at some popular Pakistani YouTubers, most of them will make jokes about how a woman has to 'clean the dishes etc'. Millions of people watch such videos, and even girls laugh at how they are being portrayed. We need to stop this culture, and teach men that women are valuable. Why are women always shown to be in the kitchen? Why are they shouted at or sent to the kitchen, in literally so many dramas. If this is "culture", then it can go straight in the trash bin.

This is so true. Jokes degrading wives especially are so common. I grew up listening to that humor and until I got married, I never realized how offensive and hurtful all those jokes are. Now, it's so hard for me to listen to them. I agree even women on facebook share such offensive jokes about wives, I just want to ask them: you are a woman yourself, why do you think this is funny? 

17 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

This is so true. Jokes degrading wives especially are so common. I grew up listening to that humor and until I got married, I never realized how offensive and hurtful all those jokes are. Now, it's so hard for me to listen to them. I agree even women on facebook share such offensive jokes about wives, I just want to ask them: you are a woman yourself, why do you think this is funny? 

As I said earlier it's all about how you were raised if you saw your parents as lovebirds than most probably you will be a loving husband or wife as well. And jokes are jokes you don't take them to heart. If someone thinks they are offensive you don't joke with them, but if you are comfortable with each other then it doesn't matter.