Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why is Imam Ali (A.S.) Ya Seen?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ 

Please can you help me understand why Ya Seen is a name of Imam Ali (A.S.) and how it relates to the surah Ya Seen (36) from the Holy Quran? I don't know why I love this surah so much. After many years, the opening few ayat always give me shivers of joy.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

From tafsir Al Qommy:

قال الصادق عليه السلام: يس اسم رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله والدليل عليه قوله: إنك لمن المرسلين على صراط مستقيم

In the Hadith by Imam Sadiq (AS) he indicates that Yassin is the name of the profet and the evidence for it are the verses that follow: "You are one of the Envoys#on a straight path".

There is no wonder you feel joyness when you recite it because it is called "The heart of Quran" as we can read in the "Thawab Al Aamal" with reference to imam Sadiq PBUH said: "Everything has a heart and the heart of Qur'an is Yassin" whoever recites it before he sleeps or during his day before the evening, he was protected and fortunate until the evening falls, 
and whoever recites it in the night before he sleeps, he would be assigned by Allah to one thousand of angels who will protect him from the evil of every demon, and every illness, etc...

في كتاب ثواب الأعمال باسناده إلى أبى عبد الله عليه السلام قال: إن لكل شئ قلبا وان قلب القرآن يس، ومن قرأها قبل ان ينام أو في نهاره قبل ان يمسى كان في نهاره من المحفوظين والمرزوقين حتى يمسى، ومن قرأها في ليله قبل ان ينام وكل الله به ألف ملك .يحفظونه من شر كل شيطان رجيم ومن كل آفة،

• Veteran Member

I ;like  to add the following verse of sura yaseen, ie no 12

Ayat no. 12

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْيِي الْمَوْتَىٰ وَنَكْتُبُ مَا قَدَّمُوا وَآثَارَهُمْ ۚ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ أَحْصَيْنَاهُ فِي إِمَامٍ مُّبِينٍ

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Surely We give life to the dead, and We write down what they have sent before and their footprints, and We have encompassed everything in a manifest Imam. (36:12)

The traditions from Imams mention that Imam Mubeen is Imam Ali AS

• 3 months later...
  • Veteran Member

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْيِي الْمَوْتَىٰ وَنَكْتُبُ مَا قَدَّمُوا وَآثَارَهُمْ ۚ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ أَحْصَيْنَاهُ فِي إِمَامٍ مُّبِينٍ

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Surely We give life to the dead, and We write down what they have sent before and their footprints, and We have encompassed everything in a manifest Imam. (36:12)

When this ayah was revealed, Abu Bakr and Umar were standing beside the Prophet (pbuh) they asked whether Imam-e-Mubeen was ‘Tauret’? He (pbuh) said ‘No’, then they asked whether it was ‘Injeel’ to which he again said ‘No’, they further asked whether it was ‘Quran’ he again replied in negative. At this moment Mawla Ali (as) appeared from the front, he said pointing towards Imam Ali that he is “Imam-e-Mubeen.” (Ref: Durr-e-Mansoor, Vol 5 P 261, Jalaluddin Suyuti, Ubaid bin Hamid bin Jureira, Ibn-e-Abi Hakim)

• Veteran Member

/naba’‑in‑‘ażim/ (The Great News)

1. Hafiz‑Muhammad‑ibn‑Mo’min‑Shirazi, one of the scholars of the Sunni Community, has narrated a tradition from the Prophet (S) on the commentary of the first verse of this Surah, and he (S) said:

“It means the vicegerency of Ali; about which everyone will be asked in the grave, and no one in the East or West, in the seas or over the land passes away without the angels asking him about the vicegerency of Amir‑al‑Mo’minin, and he will also be asked what his religion is, who his Prophet is, and who his Imam is”.

2. Another narration says that on the day of the Battle of Seffin, a man from the troops of Sham (Damascus), having his armor on and carrying a Qur’an with him, entered the battlefield while he was reciting Surah Nabaa.

Then Ali (as), himself, faced him and questioned him:

“Do you know what /naba’‑in‑‘ażim/ (the Great News),

in which they differ, is?” The man replied: “No, I do not know”.

Imam Ali (as) said: “I am, by Allah, the very /naba’‑in‑‘ażim/ (the Great News)

that you differ in and you quarrel against my vicegerency. You turned away from my vicegerency after you had pledged allegiance to it, and only on Dooms Day will you really comprehend, once more, what you had understood about it before”.

3. A narration from Imam Sadiq says: “‘The Great News’ is the same as Vicegerency”.

https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-19/surah-nabaa-chapter-78#explanation-proposition-vicegerency-and-naba‑in‑ażim-great-news

Edited by skyweb1987