Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
zoegeracci

What Are Your Thoughts & Beliefs About Americans?

I'm American and I'm curious what you guys believe and think about Americans? Hoping to just learn what people in other countries think of us, and maybe even clear any misconceptions that are out there. Are there any countries where people don't like Americans, or any countries where the people really like Americans? Why or why not? Is there anything about Americans you like or don't like? Please share!

Also feel free to ask me any questions you have about Americans or the US, I would love to answer! Also please share your opinions about us!

I lived in California for a few years. Americans are cool. They are (mostly) kind, hard-working, honest, and tolerant people. I count among them some of my best friends, both muslim and non-muslim. Of course, they are not all like that, but all the ones I met and got to know are.

Most of them are decent folks. I have a Baptist friend from America.

Many members on this forum are also US citizens, btw. Some are converts of caucasian or African-American descent.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

2 hours ago, zoegeracci said:

like Americans, or any countries where the people really like Americans? Why or why not? Is there anything about Americans you like or don't like

Hi first of all Iranians Love Americans but most of them don’t love American Governments but what media shows is that Iranians hate Americans but it is not true & it is a propaganda by Hollywood movies wich shows hating of American government is equal to hating American people that is completely nonsense.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Hello Zoe,

You have a lovely family, and a beautiful baby.

Thank you for coming to SC, to learn more about people from different backgrounds.

Have you travelled outside America?

We are waiting to see what Trump plans to do in the Middle East over the summer.  As you know Trump is a businessman and he is looking for how to bring or make money for America.  Do you think he should go to war by invading other countries and sending American troops to make "regime change" just so the 1% make money out of the backs of the poor, weak and innocent lives?

You have a child, could you ever see yourself be seperated from your baby just like what the Trump Administration is doing to the Mexicans?

I think we need to start asking serious questions about the ethics and morality of the US government.

As for the American public, I beleive many are so sucked into the capitalitic system, they have no idea what is happening around the world.   I hope you are more aware since you are searching and asking.  Thank you and have a great day.

1 hour ago, notme said:

You claim to represent Americans? Ok, so what do you plan to do about Trump? 

I don't claim to represent Americans... I claimed to be American

I want to use my words for only kindness, but I can tell you that we probably have similar opinions about Donald Trump... I do not support him whatsoever and I have to pray to Allah all the time that He would help me to love all people, even Trump supporters in the same way that Isa loved even the worst of sinners

1 hour ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

Most of them are decent folks. I have a Baptist friend from America.

Many members on this forum are also US citizens, btw. Some are converts of caucasian or African-American descent.

good to know, thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Hi first of all Iranians Love Americans but most of them don’t love American Governments but what media shows is that Iranians hate Americans but it is not true & it is a propaganda by Hollywood movies wich shows hating of American government is equal to hating American people that is completely nonsense.

wow that is so awesome! I have some Iranian friends, and they are SO KIND!! I love Iranians too! But understandable... our government is not looking so good nowadays, especially with our president :( 

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Hello Zoe,

You have a lovely family, and a beautiful baby.

Thank you for coming to SC, to learn more about people from different backgrounds.

Have you travelled outside America?

We are waiting to see what Trump plans to do in the Middle East over the summer.  As you know Trump is a businessman and he is looking for how to bring or make money for America.  Do you think he should go to war by invading other countries and sending American troops to make "regime change" just so the 1% make money out of the backs of the poor, weak and innocent lives?

You have a child, could you ever see yourself be seperated from your baby just like what the Trump Administration is doing to the Mexicans?

I think we need to start asking serious questions about the ethics and morality of the US government.

As for the American public, I beleive many are so sucked into the capitalitic system, they have no idea what is happening around the world.   I hope you are more aware since you are searching and asking.  Thank you and have a great day.

Thank you so much, I feel so blessed to have my family!

I have been to Spain, Mexico, Israel, Palestine, and Turkey. I want to travel more god willing. 

I actually think it's really sad how America has invaded the middle east and other countries to "help their governments" (this is what they tell Americans) but really they are only doing it for their own interests like oil or something. It's all very corrupt. I unfortunately don't have much hope for Trump, I don't support him. Although I am thankful that he hasn't seemed to get us in too much trouble so far. I was afraid when he became presidents that the world was going to end :worried:

But yes I agree about them taking children away from immigrants. I have seen it all over the news the past few weeks, and it's been breaking my heart. It's horrible :'( I actually recently voted for people who would help to end that in the most recent local election. I wish I could do more. 

As far as the capitalistic system I agree. I wish more people truly cared about people and caring for people than they did money. Americans are much more money hungry people and that is their main priority. God even challenges me everyday to see how I can be generous and put him first and serving his people and his kingdom instead of being greedy or indulging in different comforts. I do what I can do to love God and love people and I pray for my country and that God would help it's leaders and it's people to love our people and the people of the world like God does, and like Isa does. Please be praying for my country as well. 

Do you have any kids? 

20 minutes ago, zoegeracci said:

I don't claim to represent Americans... I claimed to be American

I want to use my words for only kindness, but I can tell you that we probably have similar opinions about Donald Trump... I do not support him whatsoever and I have to pray to Allah all the time that He would help me to love all people, even Trump supporters in the same way that Isa loved even the worst of sinners

Very nice to hear. I'm American too, an army veteran, and a convert to Shia Islam. Trump actually makes me feel ill, but I'm still working on what to do about it. Certainly I will vote against him next presidential election, but I'm not sure how much of the United States will survive that long. I just make sure I speak out against as many atrocities as I can as loudly as I am able. 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:23 AM, zoegeracci said:

Thank you so much, I feel so blessed to have my family!

I have been to Spain, Mexico, Israel, Palestine, and Turkey. I want to travel more god willing.  Great!  I don't recognize the zionist state, I beleive it to be occupied Palestine.

I actually think it's really sad how America has invaded the middle east and other countries to "help their governments" (this is what they tell Americans) but really they are only doing it for their own interests like oil or something. It's all very corrupt. I unfortunately don't have much hope for Trump, I don't support him. Although I am thankful that he hasn't seemed to get us in too much trouble so far. I was afraid when he became presidents that the world was going to end :worried:

But yes I agree about them taking children away from immigrants. I have seen it all over the news the past few weeks, and it's been breaking my heart. It's horrible :'( I actually recently voted for people who would help to end that in the most recent local election. I wish I could do more.  Huckabee referred it as obeying the law and said it is biblical practice to do so.  

As far as the capitalistic system I agree. I wish more people truly cared about people and caring for people than they did money. Americans are much more money hungry people and that is their main priority. God even challenges me everyday to see how I can be generous and put him first and serving his people and his kingdom instead of being greedy or indulging in different comforts.

I do what I can do to love God and love people and I pray for my country and that God would help it's leaders and it's people to love our people and the people of the world like God does, and like Isa does. Please be praying for my country as well. 

Do you have any kids? 

yes, I do.  I don't mention personal information on the public forum.  I like to remain annonymous when it comes to family questions.

Hello Zoe,

Thank you for sharing your viewpoints.  I'm heading to bed.  I had an exhausting weekend.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, zoegeracci said:

This makes me so glad to hear, thanks for your opinion! 

Americans are very innocent people. Most Americans are oblivious to their surroundings, and they believe whatever their controlled media tells them. :D 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:40 PM, notme said:

You claim to represent Americans? Ok, so what do you plan to do about Trump? 

Nothing. Nothing at all. We won't do anything.

Because we can't. We don't have any power. Would I like to be able to meet the Imam Khamenei so I could offer him some tea and ask every last question about Islam that I've had? Would I like to see the beaches and jungles of Cuba? Would I purge myself of materialism, pay my debts, and go live in a Hermitage somewhere for the rest of my days? Yeah, of course. However, that thing that they tell us American kids in school "You have the freedom to be whatever you want" is a great big fat phony-bologna. You don't & you never will, because a society where everyone gets to be who they want obviously couldn't function. No, we can't "do" anything about Trump, but we will sure carry-on like we're fighting a bloody and destructive revolution as Americans love exaggeration and hyperbole.

We'll watch "The News™" and whine about our offended sensibilities on social media, we will make grandiose declarations of opposition all while we churn out blog after blog about our unique & perfect solutions to every problem that Americans face, "If only they would listen to us!" In reality, we are living in a hypernormalized society that is going to collapse in on itself in a fashion that will make the end of USSR look like a curtain call after a community theater comedy.

Americans can't actually do much to influence the policy direction of this country. Our means of doing so has been dead since around the time JFK had the interior of his skull painted on the pavement of Dallas, TX. The process was completed with Reagan's first term as President. The legislators that "we elect" don't  even write their own legislation:  they are bought & owned by people I will never know who operate think tanks that write  what amounts to legislative form letters that the representative merely tacks their name onto. There are mounds of circumstantial evidence that makes my case for how American Life actually is--- but circumstantial evidence isn't really worth much with skeptics and anyone who tries to argue these points is swiftly and immediately labeled as "mentally Ill" or a "conspiracy theorist" (which is funny because the evidence isn't even hidden, it's all in plain sight).

America is a rotten system because the very foundation of the system is usury, upon which sits walls of the passions & are framed in by a worldview that is less an actual view of the world as much as an itinerary for consumerism.

This isn't the most encouraging thought to share on America's Independence day, but I'm not going to be sprayed by a bottle and then believe that it's raining.

Edited by GD41586
Improved wording

Americans are not a monolith, like any other country in the world you got good and bad. If you're talking about the many that are politically ignorant, well I hate to break it to you, that's most of the world. Ask someone in Iran, about the holocaust of 10 million Congolese, ask someone in Venezuela, about US/Iranian relations, they won't know much. Heck, even I have trouble talking to people about global politics, economics, etc. including members of my own family. This is by no means something that is unique to Americans.

People primarily pay attention to circumstances which affect them, so for Iranians for example, they are much more likely to be aware of US policies in the Middle East than they are about policies in Latin America. For Americans, most of them don't see what is happening to people in other countries or even the poor in their own, so there is just a lot of ignorance, and you could argue that as a country that is involved in so many places all around the world, they have more of a moral responsibility than say a citizen of a small Asian or European country has to learn about the world, but it is an unfortunate reality that citizens of countries that are empires often don't pay much attention because they don't see the stuff that happens on the other side. It was true of the Germans, Japanese, the British, the Soviets etc. What took them down is their policies became unsustainable economically or they were defeated militarily.

Having lived in UAE, UK and USA and being from Pakistan - my experience is that USA is the greatest country in the world.

Sure we have problems but which country doesnt.

I find Americans to be more giving than any other country and it is a land of opportunity for those who are willing to work hard.

Our politicians are corrupt...just like politicians across the world but with globalization people are waking up and getting a better understanding of the world.

Obama was one end of the spectrum so it was only natural for the pendulum to swing to the opposite side for Trump to get elected. Things will normalize.

I have hope that America can be greatER.

"Americans" is a very broad term, which may also include Canadians, as well as central and South Americans, such as Mexicans. Therefore, it is irrational to paint them all with a single strawman.

When the world gets this, it will be the end of absurd North American policies, such as the Muslim ban, surveillance of Muslims in the United States, as well as the various destabilizations, plunder, and rape of the Middle East the United States and Canadian governments are involved in.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:58 PM, Laayla said:

Please remember, the number of deportations increased substantially after Obama came into office.  The policy of separating children from parents also came about under Obama.  The media only made a big deal about it now because it plays into the narrative they're pushing to get more people to watch their shows and click on their website.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, zoegeracci said:

As far as the capitalistic system I agree. I wish more people truly cared about people and caring for people than they did money. Americans are much more money hungry people and that is their main priority. 

Please remember, Americans give more money to charity (both locally and internationally) than any other country in the world.  By far.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, Ron_Burgundy said:

Americans are very innocent people. Most Americans are oblivious to their surroundings, and they believe whatever their controlled media tells them. :D 

This is true anywhere in the world.  The average citizen of any country is just going about their daily lives trying to make a living for themselves and their family.  They generally believe whatever the media tells them.  

My thoughts about Americans and American society could fill multiple volumes, but if I had to sum it up in a short statement, it would be:

American society is the most heavily regimented in the world. At first glance this may seem strange, because on the surface, there is a seemingly endless choices everywhere you turn. But if you think in terms of the actual nature of society, disregarding everything superficial, then you can come to this conclusion that American society is heavily regimented and controlled.

Think about the way that most Americans think. I'm talking about your average American; not the exceptions here and there. How much does this average American deviate from the "official" American perception of the war? Would this average American disagree with, for example, the dropping of the atomic bomb? Would he disagree with the Korean war and what was essentially a mass murder of the Korean people? Would he disagree with the current war in Yemen (if he is even aware of it)?

Now let's assume this person is very enlightened and questions all of those things. Would he question why every sporting event is heavily sponsored by alcohol companies? Would he question why you cannot buy a house in American society without becoming an indentured servant of the bank? And so on.

Very few people question the very foundations upon which the society and economics of this country are rested.

And I have said this many times: this regimentation of American society (which is not a fake, military school regimentation of everyone wearing uniforms but rather a regimentation of the collective mind of the American people) is precisely why so many people emigrate. It is not freedom that is the main selling point but rather: order. People from relatively lawless societies (or at the very least: disorderly societies) gravitate towards the order that exists in America.

The problem is that the source of this order is in some ways also the source of the lack of introspection which is prevalent among the people.

I don't judge a whole people at once. I see Americans as individuals just like any other people. I make up my mind after getting to know the specific individual. 

The few Americans I have met and gotten to know somewhat have all been very friendly and humble alhamdolillah. 

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Chris Hedges Revolutionary speech 

https://youtu.be/qQU4x3DqzuQ

Thanks Bro.  This is a good example of why all of U.S. need to rise up against the "dominant culture" in the Western Hemisphere.

There are only 323.4 million of U.S. (2016) against the threat of the 591.7 millions (2016) south of U.S and the 15-18millions that have already invaded U.S.

422.5M in South America, 41.7M in Central America and 127.5M in Mexico . . . ALL with nearly the same socio-political expectations of Land Reform, handouts and mandatory Satanism (Catholic domination) ---Every bit anti-American, racist, and other things objectionable. What happens to the 1st Commandment Christians: Satanize or Die ? Not counting Jews and Muslims.

Can't Wait for Land & Home Reform ?  Socialism, disguising itself as Charity, takes your home as being too-big-for-you and handing it to the illegal entry.[Who still pays the mortage?]  And like Feminists, "white guys to the back of the line" and "off the bus". Then they will do the same to the Black-American.

Edited by hasanhh
sentence added

On 7/9/2018 at 6:54 PM, Carlzone said:

I don't judge a whole people at once. I see Americans as individuals just like any other people. I make up my mind after getting to know the specific individual. 

The few Americans I have met and gotten to know somewhat have all been very friendly and humble alhamdolillah. 

Caveat: at first, all you see and hear is a personality. Do you know what they think.? Do you know their value system?

On 7/9/2018 at 7:59 PM, hasanhh said:

Caveat: at first, all you see and hear is a personality. Do you know what they think.? Do you know their value system?

Well of course not all of them, but one of them was an american professor in an English course at the university. I chose to read the Quran in English as a part of the course and i also wrote about prophet Yusuf (even though Muslims warned me from doing this out of fear that he'd discriminate me). But on the contrary, he praised me in front of the whole class and was positive as to what i wrote and he gave me an A. So I believe he was a very friendly and open-minded American alhamdolillah. 

On 7/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, baradar_jackson said:

It is not freedom that is the main selling point but rather: order. 

A few things come to mind:

1. You must have both car registration and insurance to drive a vehicle.

2. You must obey traffic signs and lights, and roads are (generally) restricted to autos only (no rickshaws, bikes, walking). And these things actually are enforced.

3. Generally speaking, you can’t bribe people overtly to get a job or position.

4. Supermarkets have everything year round, at fixed, defined, and non-negotiatable prices. No bargaining or haggling.

5. Strict laws against trespassing or soliciting.

6. The perceived stability of the financial and political system. 

7. A media and education system with a well defined, self serving set of ideological boundaries, that give the order a form of distinguished thought and philosophy.

8. A place of air-tight contracts, excess legalities, constant rules, and every means to enforce them. 

Not to say that these don’t exist elsewhere, but it seems much more pronounced in the US.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:45 PM, Reza said:

A few things come to mind:

1. You must have both car registration and insurance to drive a vehicle.

2. You must obey traffic signs and lights, and roads are (generally) restricted to autos only (no rickshaws, bikes, walking). And these things actually are enforced.

3. Generally speaking, you can’t bribe people overtly to get a job or position.

4. Supermarkets have everything year round, at fixed, defined, and non-negotiatable prices. No bargaining or haggling.

5. Strict laws against trespassing or soliciting.

6. The perceived stability of the financial and political system. 

7. A media and education system with a well defined, self serving set of ideological boundaries, that give the order a form of distinguished thought and philosophy.

8. A place of air-tight contracts, excess legalities, constant rules, and every means to enforce them. 

Not to say that these don’t exist elsewhere, but it seems much more pronounced in the US.

Absolutely.

It's the entire appeal of the society. People don't think about it that way; I think many of them are more imagining that they can make a lot of money in the States (although that's true for some people, sure). Mostly it's the strict order that makes them want to stay.

22 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Mostly it's the strict order that makes them want to stay.

It's also the fact that though there is a lot of corruption in the US at the higher levels of govt., in general it doesn't seem to affect people's day to day activities. In my home country, I have literally been stopped by cops for the stupidest reasons because they wanted bribes.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, Mohamed1993 said:

It's also the fact that though there is a lot of corruption in the US at the higher levels of govt., in general it doesn't seem to affect people's day to day activities. In my home country, I have literally been stopped by cops for the stupidest reasons because they wanted bribes.

Very good point as well.