Rate this topic

Basically my questions goes like these,

If a person oppresses themselves, does that make them an oppressor or the oppressed? Seems paradoxical IMHO if I were to accept the former because if I were to focus solely on the situation of this scenario at face value, it seems to be the person is coming across as the oppressed. So, how is it possible for them to be the oppressor while at the same time be oppressed by themselves?

Could it be the person might be doing the Art of Inner Jihad (Self Struggle) where they're fighting the Animalistic Evil Tyrant Side of 'Self' from within that wants to possess them to embrace indulging in forbidden acts against Humanity regardless of their beliefs? If so, then who are we to truly label such people who are struggling with themselves as oppressors? Shouldn't we give them therapy to overcome their self-oppression.

Oppression is defined as cruel or unjust exercise of authority of power. Struggle with the self isn't oppression. The person is doing it out of his own free will. Unless another person is using authority to mistreat you or take away your rights, it isn't oppression.

@hasanhh To answer your questions, no. I haven't read a single femi-nazi literature or any form of literature that vaguely resembles femi-nazi in anyway.  And I haven't read the Schema Therapy, so I guess I can research on that. As for the lexicographic rule you're stating, fair point but you're implying on your statement that Oppression has an objective definition that is precise and everyone can agree on when according to most dictionaries the definitions come across broad.

OXFORD

OPPRESS

VERB
[WITH OBJECT]

1 Keep (someone) in subjection and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority. E.g. ‘a system which oppressed working people’

1.1 Cause distress or anxiety to. E.g. ‘he was oppressed by some secret worry’

OPPRESSION

NOUN
[MASS NOUN]

1 Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or exercise of authority. E.g. ‘a region shattered by oppression and killing’

1.1 The state of being subject to oppressive treatment. E.g. ‘a response to collective poverty and oppression’

1.2 Mental pressure or distress. E.g. ‘Beatrice's mood had initially been alarm and a sense of oppression’

MERRIAM WEBSTER

OPPRESS

[transitive verb]
1a.  archaic : suppress
1b : to crush or burden by abuse of power or authority. E.g. 'The country has long been oppressed by a ruthless dictator.' 'oppressed minorities'.

2 : to burden spiritually or mentally : weigh heavily upon. E.g. 'oppressed by a sense of failure' 'oppress by intolerable guilt'.

OPPRESSION

1a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power. E.g. 'the continuing oppression of the … underclasses —H. A. Daniels'
b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power. E.g. 'unfair taxes and other oppressions'

2 : a sense of being weighed down in body or mind : depression. E.g. 'an oppression of spirits'

@starlight Thanks for your input. Straightforward and simple. So, what I'm understanding from your statement is that since the term 'Oppression' is being defined under a political stance (since that's what it looks like at face value based on the many definitions I've stated out) , then this term cannot be implemented under a broad scope when understanding Self-Struggle.

Self-Struggle =/= Oppression Against Self.

I think you got it backwards. Fighting and supression is not inherently oppression. Fighting to eliminate injustice and evil is not oppression, otherwise we'd have to call the prophet (sawa) an oppressor. Taking away the God given rights of people or fighting for the triumph of evil is opression. Self struggle or jihad anafs is fighting to eliminate the evil that resides within us. 

1 hour ago, Shi3i_jadeed said:

I think you got it backwards. Fighting and supression is not inherently oppression. Fighting to eliminate injustice and evil is not oppression, otherwise we'd have to call the prophet (sawa) an oppressor. Taking away the God given rights of people or fighting for the triumph of evil is opression. Self struggle or jihad anafs is fighting to eliminate the evil that resides within us. 

Makes sense. Thank you for your post because the term "Oppress" and "Oppression" has broad definitions based on these dictionaries I posted. Hence, it is confusing to understand the terms themselves since they become ambiguous and open for interpretation. :(

" zulmato nafsi", this term used in dua e kumail to indicate the " oppression" that we do on ourself. But that doesn't make us oppressed. Why?( And there is no paradox) Simply because it doesn't involve anyone else. It is a matter between ourself and Allah. By oppressing ourselves with haram acts we have voilated and also misused the blessings that Allah has given us. 

My point is that for oppression to take place there has to be a doer and a receiver but with the 'self', there is just us. Hence if we oppress ourself, we don't become oppressed we simply become what its called in Arabic ' fasik' transgressor. 

5 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Makes sense. Thank you for your post because the term "Oppress" and "Oppression" has broad definitions based on these dictionaries I posted. Hence, it is confusing to understand the terms themselves since they become ambiguous and open for interpretation. :(

Mixing adjectives with verbs doesn't help either.

Oppressive: an adjective: 1] difficult to hear; 2] physically or mentally distressing.

Oppress, verb, 1] to subjugate, 2] to weigh heavily

Oppressor, noun,

Oppression, Communist propaganda, word chosen for hysterical accusation

7 hours ago, Reza said:

I thought we were capable of “oppressing” our organs (eg: tongue, stomach, private parts, etc) by taking away their right to purity (eg: bad language, haram food, zina). Is this what you mean as oppressing oneself?

My point on creating this topic in the first place is to generate some semblance of awareness of the reality for how ambiguous the term Oppression has become and people just carelessly throw the term around to describe a Suppressed Individual as either an Oppressor or Oppressed. This is especially rampant in politics where Western Nations under Judeo-Christian Influence (Europe and USA) and Islamic-Dominated Nations (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq) are carelessly throwing this terminology around calling each other Oppressors to stifle peace and create endless confusion for the ignorant masses.

You'd be surprised how people are more willing to believe in the archaic definitions of a term/word.

E.g. The archaic meaning of Debate under Intransitive Verb according to Merriam Webster Dictionary means to Fight or to Contend.

Hence, my topic is to express my confusion towards the reality of how people are defining terms/words so loosely and ambiguous to the point where they ultimately lose their purpose.

I'm afraid I also lack common sense despite my decently sound Aqal.

6 hours ago, OliveAbbas said:

" zulmato nafsi", this term used in dua e kumail to indicate the " oppression" that we do on ourself. But that doesn't make us oppressed. Why?( And there is no paradox) Simply because it doesn't involve anyone else. It is a matter between ourself and Allah. By oppressing ourselves with haram acts we have voilated and also misused the blessings that Allah has given us. 

My point is that for oppression to take place there has to be a doer and a receiver but with the 'self', there is just us. Hence if we oppress ourself, we don't become oppressed we simply become what its called in Arabic ' fasik' transgressor. 

Your post is the best one I've seen so far since you understood perfectly well for what I implied in my topic. Thank You for helping me understand what truly is Oppression.