ss99

Help calculating khums

Rate this topic

Let’s say mi khums year ends on Dec 31 on the year 1.

Then I buy something on January on the year 2, but I didn't make any profit yet for this year.

Can I deduct the amount I spent from the profit I will make later on year 2?

Salaam Alaykum

I don't understand what you meant by saying " my Khums year ENDS on Dec 31". Khums day is ONE day in year, and in that day you pay 20% of whatever left for you (there are some other rulings regarding jewelry and leftover foods, so you need to check with your Marji). If you don't pay that money on that day, you did sin. Make your money Halal by paying your Khums on time. If you spend the Khums money, 20% of whatever you buy with your money, is not yours.

May Allah help you and all Muslims (do dua for me)

On 6/12/2018 at 4:39 AM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

I don't understand what you meant by saying " my Khums year ENDS on Dec 31". Khums day is ONE day in year

Wa Alaykum Assalam.

Yes, that's what I mean, I'm sorry if it was confusing. 

If my khums day is on Dec 31, then I buy something on Jan 1st, meaning I didn't made any profit for the second year, can I still deduct what I have spent from my profits later on the year?

I mean, if I buy something on Jan 1st for $200 but I haven't made any profit yet, then in february I earn $1000. Let's say those are my only expenses and earning for the year. When I have to pay khums later, do I have to pay khums for the whole $1000 (because when I bought it I didn't make any profit yet), or just for $800?

On 6/12/2018 at 4:39 AM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

If you don't pay that money on that day, you did sin. Make your money Halal by paying your Khums on time. If you spend the Khums money, 20% of whatever you buy with your money, is not yours.

What should I do if I've never paid khums? It means everything I bought is haram for me to use, so how can I make it halal?

May Allah grant you the best and always guide you to the right path

Salaam Alaykum Sister

About your first question, you only pay Khums on Dec 31 of each year. You do not pay anything on Jan or Feb or any other month. Only one day of the year, you calculate your Khums and give it to your Marji. Let me give you an example. Imagine you earn $60k each year(after tax), and you spend $40k for bill, rent, food, and everything else. You ONLY pay Khums on Dec 31 of that year(= 0.2×(60k-40k)). Pay attention to extra jewelry or food or whatever else left at the end of the year. If you buy a clothe and not use it till Khums day, you need to pay its Khums.

You don't pay any Khums on Jan, Feb, and all sebsequent months of the next year until Dec31. In other words, you use your money in the second year till you get to Dec 31.Again on Dec31, you calculate how much money left in your bank account, how much you owe money, how much food left at home, etc. Finally you add and substract all of them and calculate your Khums.

About your second question. I checked it online. It has a lot of details. You need to check with you Marji.

Here are some Khums rulings(below link). Read and follow them. Sister, pay Khums. Imam Mahdi blamed and cursed those who don't pay Khums because Khums is used for Imam Mahdi and indigent Syed people.

www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2286/

On 6/14/2018 at 6:09 AM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Salaam Alaykum Sister

About your first question, you only pay Khums on Dec 31 of each year. 

Wa Alaykum Assalam

I think I found the answer for my first question:

1792. If a person does not make any profit in the beginning of the year, and spends his capital, and then makes some profit before the year ends, he is allowed to deduct the amount spent from his capital, from the profit.

About your second question. I checked it online. It has a lot of details. You need to check with you Marji.

Well I have been tracking all my earnings and expenses for the last 1-2 years, so if I pay 20% of my earnings instead of the savings I should be fine, at least regarding the money and stuff I bought the last to years, right?

Here are some Khums rulings(below link). Read and follow them. Sister, pay Khums. Imam Mahdi blamed and cursed those who don't pay Khums because Khums is used for Imam Mahdi and indigent Syed people.

www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2286/

I've been reading the Khums rulings and I'm still confused. There are some rulings that seem to contradict each other, and I've been reading the rulings of several Maraji :cry:

Maybe I'll read them one more time later and if I'm still having doubts then I'm gonna ask their offices.

Thank you for your help, may Allah bless you.