Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
notme

Describe a being from another world

Salam

Here's an article encouraging us to broaden our thinking on what beings from another world might be like. Sci-fi is fun, but don't let it take over your way of thinking. Whatever we can think of out there, the reality is almost definitely much, much weirder.

https://www.universal-sci.com/headlines/2017/10/29/why-our-imagination-for-alien-life-is-so-impoverished

If there is sentient life besides us in the universe, what do you think it would be like? I think the possibilities are unlimited.

22 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

They will probably look just like humans.

Why? 

Because they would be created "in God's image"? That's the usual reason given for otherworldly beings to look similar to us, but I always interpret the idea of "God's image" metaphorically not literally. 

I can imagine something sentient but similar to the networks of fungi that are under our forests.

Or beings that live on entirely different timescales. We might perceive them as non-living because we don't see the life process taking place in microseconds or over millions of years. 

Or beings of pure energy, not bound to space and time - would that be like angels? I don't only mean other planets - I mean all sentient life that exists in the creation. 

There are things we can't even imagine. 

Edited by notme
Spotted a typo

14 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

What about Jinn? 

Also a being from another world, though one that is close to ours. Aren't jinn made of fire and have free will? Seems like us, but the body is of different substance. Do they have a described shape? I don't know of one. 

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

l imagine them to look like dead.

Environmental lncompatability, you know.

Of course, we will look the same way.

Exchange of diseases, you know.

The Martian Chronicles. The Martians were wiped out by Chicken Pox.

But the only way diseases could be exchanged is if they're at least mostly similar to us. Environmental incompatibility makes more sense, but we have scuba suits and space suits for when we go into inhospitable environments. Maybe other beings would too. 

3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l also worry about the communication difficulties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhJljblPcY

Frustration is so hard to understand.

I don't know why arrogant humans think we could communicate with aliens. We can't even learn the languages of the "more primitive" creatures on our own planet. We make our dogs and horses learn to understand human language rather than us learning to give commands in theirs.

When we can communicate with ants and trees, maybe we could hope to communicate with aliens of an entirely different background. 

3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

'"more primitive" creatures' Like children?

No. Every child is a genius. Most of us just learn to not be. Maybe if the aliens try to communicate with children they will have better success. 

"More primitive" creatures like everything on Earth not human. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

When we can communicate with ants and trees, maybe we could hope to communicate with aliens of an entirely different background. 

After reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) we will be able to communicate with already some devices created that can in a minimum form translate a few words such as new tools for translation of baby sounds also exsitance of aliens mentioned in some Hadiths but communication with them with current science is not possible.

5 hours ago, notme said:

Salam

Here's an article encouraging us to broaden our thinking on what beings from another world might be like. Sci-fi is fun, but don't let it take over your way of thinking. Whatever we can think of out there, the reality is almost definitely much, much weirder.

https://www.universal-sci.com/headlines/2017/10/29/why-our-imagination-for-alien-life-is-so-impoverished

If there is sentient life besides us in the universe, what do you think it would be like? I think the possibilities are unlimited.

Bruh

maybe we cant even imagine them at all

i mean like we expect every being to have arms and legs and eyes

just because we have that doesn’t mean that other beings will have the same

maybe aliens are created from water(if they even exist)but i do believe that they exist

my point is we might not be able to imagine their appearance at all

1 minute ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Regardless of who they are, wouldn't Allah resurrect everyone at the same time on the day of judgement? Therefore we might find out then? 

Ye but we might not even notice them

since we will be toooo scared

4 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Yeah or maybe humans will be lined up all together, and we might not be allowed to see other creatures. 

Just the thought of it terrifies me

i mean we will kinda know if we’re going to heaven or hell in our grave but still

we are going to be judged by Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى

that scares me

inshallah i hope that we will be one of those people who will enter jannah without any judgement 

2 hours ago, Natsu said:

Just the thought of it terrifies me

i mean we will kinda know if we’re going to heaven or hell in our grave but still

we are going to be judged by Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى

that scares me

inshallah i hope that we will be one of those people who will enter jannah without any judgement 

I think there is also a group that will be uncertain in the grave due to excessive sins.  

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

If our creation is a mercy, then surely mercy was extended to make other creation. They are far from us, with their own civilizations, environments, prophets, and revelations. A world through similar trials as ours. Are they biologically different? 

Why cant we reach out to them? 

12 hours ago, Reza said:

Why cant we reach out to them

Because the distance between stars is unfathomable. Even light takes years to reach the nearest star outside our own system. Maybe it's not even possible to communicate between worlds, except with the intervention of Allah. 

We do reach out anyway. But we have to accept the possibility of never getting a response. 

55 minutes ago, Reza said:

You heard of the Fermi Paradox?

Of course! But there are countless reasonable answers. 

The Fermi paradox (for anyone who doesn't read astronomy) asks the question: if the universe is full of life, where is everyone? 

The universe is really, really big. At the dawn of human civilization, a person might reasonably believe his clan or tribe is the only group of humans that existed. At a time when the world's human population was in the hundreds of thousands, it was perfectly possible for a human to set out on a journey away from his home and never encounter another person for the rest of his life. Yet other human clans and tribes did exist. We've seen their artifacts all around the world. 

That, to me, is the most compelling refutation of the Fermi paradox.

It is possible that we are the only civilization in the Creation, but it's very improbable, given the vastness of the universe. 

2 hours ago, notme said:

Of course! But there are countless reasonable answers. 

The Fermi paradox (for anyone who doesn't read astronomy) asks the question: if the universe is full of life, where is everyone? 

The universe is really, really big. At the dawn of human civilization, a person might reasonably believe his clan or tribe is the only group of humans that existed. At a time when the world's human population was in the hundreds of thousands, it was perfectly possible for a human to set out on a journey away from his home and never encounter another person for the rest of his life. Yet other human clans and tribes did exist. We've seen their artifacts all around the world. 

That, to me, is the most compelling refutation of the Fermi paradox.

It is possible that we are the only civilization in the Creation, but it's very improbable, given the vastness of the universe. 

Actually it begs the question, if there are other advanced civilisations, then where are they? Surely they'd be out there jumping from planet to planet? Why can't we see them?

I personally think intelligent aliens are fake. 

10 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Surely they'd be out there jumping from planet to planet? Why can't we see them?

What would we see? Some sentient ant colony in the Andromeda Galaxy would be detectable to our primitive telescopes as they traverse their galaxy and set up homes on their Goldilocks planets?

When Voyager probe passed by Earth on its way to the outer solar system, scientists watched closely to determine whether there was perceptible sentient life on Earth. You'd be surprised how little distance one must go to not be able to detect signs of civilization, even knowing for certain that it is there. 

9 minutes ago, notme said:

What would we see? Some sentient ant colony in the Andromeda Galaxy would be detectable to our primitive telescopes as they traverse their galaxy and set up homes on their Goldilocks planets?

When Voyager probe passed by Earth on its way to the outer solar system, scientists watched closely to determine whether there was perceptible sentient life on Earth. You'd be surprised how little distance one must go to not be able to detect signs of civilization, even knowing for certain that it is there. 

But if they were advanced they'd be making themselves obvious by travelling through space, wouldn't they?

17 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

But if they were advanced they'd be making themselves obvious by travelling through space, wouldn't they?

How close must we be to earth to see the many orbiting man-made satellites? Do you think those Andromeda ants can see us? 

1 hour ago, notme said:

How close must we be to earth to see the many orbiting man-made satellites? Do you think those Andromeda ants can see us? 

May be we are ants for them :D

5 hours ago, notme said:

No, I'm saying they must have travelled near us. The only plausible argument is "they're not that advanced at all".

Edited by Sumerian

3 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

No, I'm saying they must have travelled near us. 

Why? I think you must not understand just how big the universe is, or even just the galaxy. It takes four years for light from the next star to reach us, and it's theoretically impossible for anything to travel faster than light.