In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Are There More Sunni than Shia?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Because in the beginning being Shi'i involved siding with the truth and could cost you your life especially between 1AH-2AH etc..

Sunnism was also propagated in the Islamic conquests so naturally it was exported as opposed to Shi'ism.

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Al-Hajjaj_b._Yusuf_al-Thaqafi#Al-Hajjaj_and_Shias

• Advanced Member

We shouldn't follow the 'majority' rule if we really wanna discover the truth. Anyway, majority of the Muslims in the world don't bother researching about Islam ( I know it's a big generalization, but I think it's the reality).

• Advanced Member

99% of Sunnis (and no this is not an exaggeration, this is a plain fact) believe the hadith of the Prophet S.A.W  during his farewell hajj was "Follow my Quran and Sunnah" and not how it is ACTUALLY written "Quran and my Ahle Bayt A.S". If that 99% ever bothered to pick up the books and read it for themselves believe me that alone would cause a huge tilt in numbers. 

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Jaffar_is_in_use said:

There is nearly 1.7 billion Muslim in this world. But only under 500 million of them is Shia. Why are the Sunnah such a larger group and spread out so much more then Shia ?

Like there are more Christian than Muslims. 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Kirmani said:

99% of Sunnis (and no this is not an exaggeration, this is a plain fact) believe the hadith of the Prophet S.A.W  during his farewell hajj was "Follow my Quran and Sunnah" and not how it is ACTUALLY written "Quran and my Ahle Bayt A.S". If that 99% ever bothered to pick up the books and read it for themselves believe me that alone would cause a huge tilt in numbers. 

Bro 99% of them dont even know why sunni shia came in the first place

like when i ask my sunni friends they dont even know their histroy that well

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, Jaffar_is_in_use said:

There is nearly 1.7 billion Muslim in this world. But only under 500 million of them is Shia. Why are the Sunnah such a larger group and spread out so much more then Shia ?

God intended that to be because they represent a major part of Islamic orthodoxy.  So why not? 

Although I am Shi’a, I believe that Traditional Sunni Islam is more protected in that it aims to establish a connection to the Prophet (S) “directly” via the practice of the Sunnah.   The Prophetic presence is more palpable in Traditional Sunni Islam.  

Shiaism also has its strengths but I won’t bother talking about it here.  

Here's a question for shias: Why would the Qur'an say the ummah of Muhammad is the best of ummahs is the vast majority of them are vastly misguided, or, in the views of some shias, destined for hellfire, or, in the time of the companions, committing grave injustices against ahl al bayt and destined for hell? Why would Ali allow the caliphate to be usurped for 20 something years without putting up a fight? If he was known by shias as the "Lion of God"? Why would Prophet Muhammad say to hold on to the ahl al bayt in addition to the quran, if some ahl al bayt, (such abdul qadeer al jilani and Said Nursi) were descendants of Fatima? (If I'm not mistaken, Said Nursi,  is descended from BOTH Hz Hasan (RA) and Hz Hussein (RA). Why is Fethullah Gulen a syed? these are all sunnis. they are saying to provide financially for the ahl al bayt and protect them. (which, i admit, radical tyrannical sunni rulers like Yezid (whose name in sunni Turkey is an insult) and Muawiyah, failed to do).  These are merely the points made by sunnis. 

Edited by Sinan

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sinan said:

Here's a question for shias: Why would the Qur'an say the ummah of Muhammad is the best of ummahs is the vast majority of them are vastly misguided, 

Because they are the best of Ummah from all Ummahs. They pray, they fast, they believe in Tawheed, they believe in all the prophets, they do hajj etc. And the best of the people among the Prophet Muhammad (saws) Ummah are those who believe in Wilayah and who are the true followers of Ibrahiim (as).

Why would Prophet Muhammad say to hold on to the ahl al bayt in addition to the quran, if some ahl al bayt, (such abdul qadeer al jilani and Said Nursi) were descendants of Fatima? (If I'm not mistaken, Said Nursi,  is descended from BOTH Hz Hasan (RA) and Hz Hussein (RA). Why is Fethullah Gulen a syed? these are all sunnis.

Hold on the Qur'an and Ahlulbait (as), the Infallible ones, the ones who belong in verse 33:33, not the fallible descended of Ahlulbayt (as) members.

• Moderators

or, in the views of some shias, destined for hellfire,

Lol destined to hellfire, please keep that nonsense away from us, such a believe can't be found with Shia;

22– Imam Ali (AS) said, ‘Paradise has eight doors: a door through which the prophets and the truthful ones will enter, a door through which the martyrs and the righteous will enter, five doors through which our shi`a and our lovers will enter …, a door through which the rest of the Muslims will enter, that is, those that bear witness to ‘There is no god but Allah’ and who do not bear an atom’s weight of enmity towards us, the ahl al-bayt.’ [al-Khisal, p. 408, no. 6] 

Why would Ali allow the caliphate to be usurped for 20 something years without putting up a fight?

Because Imam Ali (as) is wiser than any of the companions who really cared about the Islam and the Ummah and because of his knowledge and wisdom he knew that the people will leave Islam if there will be wars between Muslims in such an early time of Islam. The one who really caused wars with Muslims were Aisha, Daughter of Abu Bakr, Muawiyah and bani Umayyah, causing division and fitnah.

Edited by Abu Nur

14 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Because they are the best of Ummah from all Ummahs. They pray, they fast, they believe in Tawheed, they believe in all the prophets, they do hajj etc. And the best of the people among the Prophet Muhammad (saws) Ummah are those who believe in Wilayah and who are the true followers of Ibrahiim (as).

Hold on the Qur'an and Ahlulbait (as), the Infallible ones, the ones who belong in verse 33:33, not the fallible descended of Ahlulbayt (as) members.

https://quran.com/33

if you read from verses 33:28-33:33 you'll see it is talking about the Prophet's wives and their chastity. And how they are to be a role model for the women of the Islamic ummah. (just as the sahabah, in the sunni view, are to be a role model for men of the Islamic ummah). EDIT: and also, the women of the ummah in general matters. 

Edited by Sinan

6 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Lol destined to hellfire, please keep that nonsense away from us, such a believe can't be found with Shia;

22– Imam Ali (AS) said, ‘Paradise has eight doors: a door through which the prophets and the truthful ones will enter, a door through which the martyrs and the righteous will enter, five doors through which our shi`a and our lovers will enter …, a door through which the rest of the Muslims will enter, that is, those that bear witness to ‘There is no god but Allah’ and who do not bear an atom’s weight of enmity towards us, the ahl al-bayt.’ [al-Khisal, p. 408, no. 6] 

I've seen people post such things on shiachat, if I understood correctly.

Edited by Sinan

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sinan said:

if you read from verses 33:28-33:33 you'll see it is talking about the Prophet's wives and their chastity. And how they are to be a role model for the women of the Islamic ummah. (just as the sahabah, in the sunni view, are to be a role model for men of the Islamic ummah). 

No, we don't believe in such a interpretation. There is vast witnessing of companions and all the family of Ahlulbayt (as) have preached that 33:33 is meant for the 5 infallibles ones and rest of the infallible Imams.

Narrated Aisha:

One day the Prophet (S) came out afternoon wearing a black cloak (upper garment or gown; long coat), then al-Hasan Ibn ‘Ali came and the Prophet accommodated him under the cloak, then al-Husayn came and entered the cloak, then Fatimah came and the Prophet entered her under the cloak, then ‘Ali came and the Prophet entered him to the cloak as well. Then the Prophet recited: "Verily Allah intends to keep off from you every kind of uncleanness O’ People of the House (Ahlul-Bayt), and purify you a perfect purification (the last sentence of Verse 33:33)."

Sunni reference:

• Sahih Muslim, Chapter of virtues of companions, section of the virtues of the Ahlul-Bayt of the Prophet (S), 1980 Edition Pub. in Saudi Arabia, Arabic version, v4, p1883, Tradition #61.

24 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

No, we don't believe in such a interpretation. There is vast witnessing of companions and all the family of Ahlulbayt (as) have preached that 33:33 is meant for the 5 infallibles ones and rest of the infallible Imams.

Narrated Aisha:

One day the Prophet (S) came out afternoon wearing a black cloak (upper garment or gown; long coat), then al-Hasan Ibn ‘Ali came and the Prophet accommodated him under the cloak, then al-Husayn came and entered the cloak, then Fatimah came and the Prophet entered her under the cloak, then ‘Ali came and the Prophet entered him to the cloak as well. Then the Prophet recited: "Verily Allah intends to keep off from you every kind of uncleanness O’ People of the House (Ahlul-Bayt), and purify you a perfect purification (the last sentence of Verse 33:33)."

Sunni reference:

• Sahih Muslim, Chapter of virtues of companions, section of the virtues of the Ahlul-Bayt of the Prophet (S), 1980 Edition Pub. in Saudi Arabia, Arabic version, v4, p1883, Tradition #61.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=37&id=94&Itemid=89

1 minute ago, Abu Nur said:

How such a interpretation is not contradict to the hadith of Sahih Muslim?

Are people really so blind to read to whom the verse is referred to?

perhaps the source your using is wrong? i copied and pasted and found a shiite source (biased, no offense). also, some hadeeth are weak. 

3 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

It is not wrong source. It is well know hadith. 

I don't know what to tell you, I guess a hadeeth can be weak, because I trust ibn katheer's tafseer over a single hadeeth. but let's just agree to disagree. there's a lot of family crisis going on in my house and i don't want to squabble with the people here over pointless things, because right now you all are my only family.

Edited by Sinan

• Moderators
Just now, Sinan said:

I don't know what to tell you, I guess a hadeeth can be weak, because I trust ibn katheer's tafseer over a single hadeeth. but let's just agree to disagree. there's a lot of family crisis going on in my house and i don't want to squabble with the people here over pointless things, because right now you all are my only family. 

It is not weak hadith, can't you really understand it? No Sunni deny such a hadith.

Just now, Abu Nur said:

It is not weak hadith, can't you really understand it? No Sunni deny such a hadith.

again, i really dont wanna fight, im in a vulnerable state with my family, my love life, my friends in real life, and i dont want to lose what little love and connection i already have. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Sinan said:

again, i really dont wanna fight, im in a vulnerable state with my family, my love life, my friends in real life, and i dont want to lose what little love and connection i already have. 

What fighting? And What is your family have to do of what is the truth? What do you mean by losing?

Edited by Abu Nur

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Sinan said:

again, i really dont wanna fight, im in a vulnerable state with my family, my love life, my friends in real life, and i dont want to lose what little love and connection i already have

you must ask from yourself  that love of Prophet (pbu) & his Ahlulbayt in this world & hereafter is more important to you or love of what you have this world ,if you choose love of prophet & Ahlulbayt (as) certainly they give you in this world & hereafter better than currently you have ,but are you sure that what you love already can be remain forever for you or not btw at end it depends on your choice .

Is the chain of narrators of hadith Kisa authentic and how important is this hadith? Please explain the events that are mentioned in this hadith and the events that were followed by the revelation of the verse of Tat’hir.
question
Is hadith Kisa an authentic hadith? Please explain the events mentioned in this hadith and in the verse of Tat’hir. Is it true that it was not mentioned in book of Mafatih al-Jinan and was added later?
Concise answer

Despite the fact that there is some dispute in regard to the details of the events mentioned in hadith Kisa and the verse of Tat’hir and a slight difference in the wording of the ahadith, but both Shi’as and Sunnis have accepted that they took place. However, the hadith that has been narrated from Lady Fatimah in some books is not reliable and does not have an authentic chain of narrators.

Hadith Kisa which is mentioned in hadith collections is important for two reasons. First: proving Imamate and authority for the Ahlul-Bayt Second: proving their infallibility.

The revelation of the verse of Tat’hir and the story of Kisa took place in the month of Dhi al-Hijjah. However, it is not clear what day it took place on. All we know is that it took place before the day of Mubahalah.

Detailed Answer

A: A Brief Look at the Narrators

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa10521

Kısa hadisinin önemliliğini açıklayınız
Soru
Kısa hadisinin önemliliğini açıklayınız?
Kısa Cevap

Hadis kitaplarında ve mefatihu’l – cinan adlı dua kitabında zikredilen hadisi şerifi iki açıdan  önemli ve ehemmiyeti vardır: Birisi imamet ve velayet diğeri ısmet (masumiyet) cihetidir.

Ehlibeyt’in İmamet ve velayeti bazı şahit ve delilerle hadiste sabit ediliyor. Peygamber (s.a.a.) hadisin kendisinde nakledilmiş o has eylemi ve söylemi ile velayet ve imameti Ehlibeyte has kılıyor. Ehlibeyt hariç hiç kimsenin içinde bulunmadığı evde onları bir aba (cübbe) altında toplaması ve Hz. Ali’nin halifeliğine delalet eden cümleleri sarf etmesi ve en sonda Peygamber (s.a.a.) ile Ehlibeyt arasında var olan derin bağa delalet eden yüklemleri istifade etmesi bunun delilidir. Ehlibeytin (a.s.) ısmetininin ispatlaması itikadi ve kelami kaynak kitaplarında şu aşağıdaki cümleye isnat ediliyor: “Onlardan ricsi (pislik ve kötülük) götür ve onları tertemiz kıl. Dolayısıyla hadiste iki önemli mesele; birisi imamet diğeri ismet var olmaktadır.

Ayrıntılı Cevap

http://www.islamquest.net/tr/archive/question/fa10521

Hadith al-Kisa - Hadith of the Event of the Cloak - Haaj Mahdi Samavati

Examining the Science of Hadith & The Main Shia Books - Sayed Jawad Qazwini - Masjid-e-Al

• Advanced Member
On 7/25/2018 at 6:16 AM, Sinan said:

if you read from verses 33:28-33:33 you'll see it is talking about the Prophet's wives and their chastity. And how they are to be a role model for the women of the Islamic ummah. (just as the sahabah, in the sunni view, are to be a role model for men of the Islamic ummah). EDIT: and also, the women of the ummah in general matters. 

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235058442-did-fatima-as-die-angry-with-abu-bakr-and-umar/