Hidz

Mental health (Anxiety and Schizophrenia)

Salam , 

Im hidayah , new member of Shiachat . I hope to ask something about mental health according to Shia perspective ? Just want to know the perspective about this topic . This just the side question. The reasons I’m writing the topic is how to handle my mental health. Here’s are my story . I had mental illness and disorder since I was a child and it getting mild at the age of 12 and got worse at the age of 18 years old . At the age of 18 , I had experience listening a voice in my head and everyone seems to talk about me all the time . I had worse at that time and I skipped most class . I went to psychiatrist and taken the medicine but I felt worse , after changing the medication I felt better but then get worse . Worse that I want to kill myself . I being diagnosed schizophrenia and had auditory hallucinations and some visual . Until now , I have to endured it and I have developing anxiety . I had it long time ago . Whenever I need to speak in public or things that need people attention , I always feel nervous and anxious . How to handle this mental illness cuz it being disturbing my prayer and daily life . It’s there any other way to handle my illness .  Sorry if this is bothering you 

28 minutes ago, Hidz said:

It’s there any other way to handle my illness .  Sorry if this is 

Welcome to shia chat we are ready for any support for you ,InshaAllah you become better everyday .

10 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Welcome to shia chat we are ready for any support for you ,InshaAllah you become better everyday .

Thank you  brother .

and nice to meet you , the issues is that I’m facing right now that I heard people talk bad about me at my back and my mental illness got worse . I had handle it the best as I can but I can’t seem to handle much longer . In sha Allah I would be better .

Www.mateenjc. com

Also you can contact with Sheikh Mate en which he is an expert in this field beside that we are at your service.

‏‪Autism Awareness Workshop‬‏:‏ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZB7poMxFUhLBPIvd5U7eJofBQmBWGBFW

Assalamualaykum dear sister Hidayah,

Let me start off by saying mashAllah beautiful name. Alhamdulillah you are seeking help through Islam. Allah swt has the cure to everything and I'm sure 100% your situation has a solution in order to live a life where you can feel content InshAllah. 

It's a bit difficult to give specific information without knowing your whole medical history but don't put too much hope in medication from the psychiatric because those are never solutions in the long term. What country do you live in? Is there any history of mental health illness in your family? Sis, Allah gives all of us different tests and whateverour test might be, Allah meant it to straighten us. Don't ever ever lose hope that you can become better and functional in life, I've seen people with schizophrenia or other mental health related problems make tremendous progress to the point of just having a normal life. 

It's a combination of heartfelt prayers, good diet, and most importantly the true believe that Allah swt can heal you. There are practitioners of the medicine of ahlulbayt which is basically basedon ahadith to treat diverse situations. Regardless of what western medicine tells you, such as "there's no cure, only management" it is not true. There is recovery but it's a process and you must believe it. 

Try your hardest to ask Allah to remove your worries/anxiety as many times as you can. 

http://www.duas.org/worries.htm

Try to do as many duaas as possible from the above link and be consistent. Even if it's just one but do it everyday. 

http://www.duas.org/alaviya/dua36.htm

This is to cure illnesses and same thing, try your best to do it once everyday at least. 

Remember, Allah swt is the ONLY one who can get you out of this and HE will InshAllah just keep seeking help. Have you tried counseling? 

Thank you once again brother . I will try to contact him In sha Allah 

8 minutes ago, Hidz said:

heard people talk bad about me at my back and my mental illness got 

First thing is that you don't busy your mind with their rumors be more self cofident InshaAllah with help of Allah you will cure

https://mateenjc.com

2 minutes ago, StarryNight said:

Assalamualaykum dear sister Hidayah,

Let me start off by saying mashAllah beautiful name. Alhamdulillah you are seeking help through Islam. Allah swt has the cure to everything and I'm sure 100% your situation has a solution in order to live a life where you can feel content InshAllah. 

It's a bit difficult to give specific information without knowing your whole medical history but don't put too much hope in medication from the psychiatric because those are never solutions in the long term. What country do you live in? Is there any history of mental health illness in your family? Sis, Allah gives all of us different tests and whateverour test might be, Allah meant it to straighten us. Don't ever ever lose hope that you can become better and functional in life, I've seen people with schizophrenia or other mental health related problems make tremendous progress to the point of just having a normal life. 

It's a combination of heartfelt prayers, good diet, and most importantly the true believe that Allah swt can heal you. There are practitioners of the medicine of ahlulbayt which is basically basedon ahadith to treat diverse situations. Regardless of what western medicine tells you, such as "there's no cure, only management" it is not true. There is recovery but it's a process and you must believe it. 

Try your hardest to ask Allah to remove your worries/anxiety as many times as you can. 

http://www.duas.org/worries.htm

Try to do as many duaas as possible from the above link and be consistent. Even if it's just one but do it everyday. 

http://www.duas.org/alaviya/dua36.htm

This is to cure illnesses and same thing, try your best to do it once everyday at least. 

Remember, Allah swt is the ONLY one who can get you out of this and HE will InshAllah just keep seeking help. Have you tried counseling? 

Salam sis , I from Malaysia and I didn’t know much about my family background cuz I’m adopted and I currently live with my foster parents . All I know is that beside Schizophrenia , I had autism , Down syndrome , SCT and dyslexia . I know that my grandma have narcissistic but other family I didn’t know them well . 

1 minute ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

First thing is that you don't busy your mind with their rumors be more self cofident InshaAllah with help of Allah you will cure

https://mateenjc.com

I try brother , I ignored them but the longer I ignored the more painful to hear them talking especially they seem to laugh at me . Sometimes I react a bit violence to them , trying to hit them so bad but I restrained myself to that 

35 minutes ago, Hidz said:

Salam sis , I from Malaysia and I didn’t know much about my family background cuz I’m adopted and I currently live with my foster parents . All I know is that beside Schizophrenia , I had autism , Down syndrome , SCT and dyslexia . I know that my grandma have narcissistic but other family I didn’t know them well . 

Sis, all those "diagnosis" they gave you don't mean much at the end of the day. The importance of the genetic components to mental illnesses is small compared to other factors. The hope for you to get better is still there no matter what. I know sometimes our circumstances don't seem favourable but Allah swt always gives us a way out if we seek him. How old are you know? Are your fosterparents supportive and understanding of your situation? Please let me know what have you tried besides medicine from psychiatric doctor? Therapy or anything else? 

34 minutes ago, Hidz said:

And thank you , sis . Thank you for your advice . In sha Allah I will be better , May Allah bless you . Sorry for not saying thank you earlier . Yes we all have different test from Allah and I accept that but it’s easier than being said . I being suffer it for to long and I need my medication or else I end up having a bad mood swing and a bit violence . I got irritated so fast . 

33 minutes ago, Hidz said:

ignored them but the longer I ignored the more painful to hear them talking especially they seem to laugh at me . Sometimes I react a bit violence t

In this situation try to relax yourself bodily & mentality by non medicine practices also listen to relaxing sounds & Quran recitation that you like & consider that they are more busy to waste their time for backbiting you also read biography of Imam Musa Kadhim (as) that his title means the person that forgives & swallow his anger.

1 minute ago, StarryNight said:

Sis, all those "diagnosis" they gave you don't mean much at the end of the day. The importance of the genetic components to mental illnesses is small compared to other factors. The hope for you to get better is still there no matter what. I know sometimes our circumstances don't seem favourable but Allah swt always gives us a way out if we seek him. How old are you know? Are your fosterparents supportive and understanding of your situation? Please let me know what have you tried besides medicine from psychiatric doctor? Therapy or anything else? 

I’m 22 years old and my foster parents is a bit random , sometimes they care and mostly they don’t . They shouted at me when I had a mental breakdown and scolded me when I cry . They didn’t care much about my health care and didn’t support me much . They depend on psychiatrists  all they know is to send me to the hospital . 

2 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

In this situation try to relax yourself bodily & mentality by non medicine practices also listen to relaxing sounds & Quran recitation that you like & consider that they are more busy to waste their time for backbiting you also read biography of Imam Musa Kadhim (as) that his title means the person that forgives & swallow his anger.

Okay , I try my best to relax myself and try to find other way to help me with my illness . Yes , it’s a good idea to listen to reciting of Al Quran . For me it’s hard to ignored people talk about me . I’m a sensitive person . 

2 hours ago, Hidz said:

For me it’s hard to ignored people talk about me . I’m a sensitive person

I know but you must work on it don't try forgot them make it a good think  & shield for yourself

7 hours ago, Hidz said:

Okay , I try my best to relax myself and try to find other way to help me with my illness . Yes , it’s a good idea to listen to reciting of Al Quran . For me it’s hard to ignored people talk about me . I’m a sensitive person . 

Listening to recitations of the Holy Qur'an would help you to not focus on the disturbing voices that you hear. Or you could listen to a relaxing bird sounds video, such as this one:

Hearing strange voices is frustrating but, try your best not to show anger to the voices when there are other people around you (family, friends, neighbors). They don't hear the voices and they will get fearful to be near you. Do you have a hobby that you enjoy? If you are busy creating some kind of art, this might help you relax. 

When you are busy doing something that you like (a hobby) your mind will be on that thing and the bothersome voices might stay away. If the voices come to you, then think of something else and ignore them. If your hobby is reading, for example, if you start to hear a voice, read out loud and don't pay attention to it. 

Thank you for the advice Mod and sis , I will try my hardest to ignored it . Often I heard the voice said that it try hard to sway me from being a Shia and talk bad about me . I’m busying myself with my hobby . I like reading , sculpt , learning new knowledge . 

Salam , sis and brother .

I’m happy that you guys really helpful . But lately I can’t stand anymore the voice that being haunted me for this couple days . I wish to denounce myself as a Shia Muslim and I still support you guys . I really hope you guys understand that I being in hard moment . I’m sorry and I will tell you why I denounce myself from Islam is because of judgemental of the voice and most importantly i felt that the religion doesn’t matter to me . For now I would not convert any religion and I become agnostic instead 

Salam Sister,

I am sorry to hear about your long standing struggles. It must be so difficult, all credit to you for hanging in there and continuing to move forward and looking for different venues of support. It is very good of you to post here, do not feel bad/embarrassed/shy/hesitant to ask for help from any possible source that you think may help you.

I am a psychiatrist in training. I would like to give you some information based on my observation and study so far. It would be helpful if you try to look for support from multiple sources and try not to discredit any potential sources of help before you have completely and properly tried them out. What I mean is, you should definitely look towards your inner self and try and get closer to Allah as has been suggested by others here as well. You should also try and bring some routine in your life and try to make your life as healthy as you can by eating well, getting proper and timely sleep, taking some time out for some physical activity (walking, jogging, working out), spending some time with your close ones (any close friends who understand your situation and don't judge you).

I would like to emphasize the importance of medical/psychiatric treatment. I understand you may not have too much benefit from it. I would however like to let you know that mental illness is not something that is answered by one medicine for sometime. I know one becomes tired and questions the effectiveness of medication over time, but this is a part of trying and testing till the perfect medicine is found that suits your particular condition. In addition, I understand there are side effects of being on these medications but it is also important to remind yourself that in the long run, when eventually the medicine best suited for you starts showing results, at that point the side effects will really feel like a very small price to pay for the benefit that is experienced. I do not blame you however, not all psychiatrists come along and communicate with patients like yourself in a comprehensive manner and play about with a mixture of different medications and that can be so difficult for you. What my point is, please do not undermine the importance and effectiveness of psychiatric treatment in mental illness. In addition, a lot of what you need is also managed by a multi-disciplinary team consisting of a psychologist, occupational therapist etc. So do try and get in touch with a psychiatrist that really understands your problem and guides you to these additional venues that can improve your quality of life.

It is a difficult path I know. But Allah gives us hardships that He knows we can overcome and realize more of our strengths and live up to them in the process. Don't ever give up or feel there is no way out. A lot of the times our problems are blessings in disguise. I wish you the best, feel free to PM me if you need any info regarding specific medical/psychiatric advice.

Peace.

4 minutes ago, Khudi said:

Salam Sister,

I am sorry to hear about your long standing struggles. It must be so difficult, all credit to you for hanging in there and continuing to move forward and looking for different venues of support. It is very good of you to post here, do not feel bad/embarrassed/shy/hesitant to ask for help from any possible source that you think may help you.

I am a psychiatrist in training. I would like to give you some information based on my observation and study so far. It would be helpful if you try to look for support from multiple sources and try not to discredit any potential sources of help before you have completely and properly tried them out. What I mean is, you should definitely look towards your inner self and try and get closer to Allah as has been suggested by others here as well. You should also try and bring some routine in your life and try to make your life as healthy as you can by eating well, getting proper and timely sleep, taking some time out for some physical activity (walking, jogging, working out), spending some time with your close ones (any close friends who understand your situation and don't judge you).

I would like to emphasize the importance of medical/psychiatric treatment. I understand you may not have too much benefit from it. I would however like to let you know that mental illness is not something that is answered by one medicine for sometime. I know one becomes tired and questions the effectiveness of medication over time, but this is a part of trying and testing till the perfect medicine is found that suits your particular condition. In addition, I understand there are side effects of being on these medications but it is also important to remind yourself that in the long run, when eventually the medicine best suited for you starts showing results, at that point the side effects will really feel like a very small price to pay for the benefit that is experienced. I do not blame you however, not all psychiatrists come along and communicate with patients like yourself in a comprehensive manner and play about with a mixture of different medications and that can be so difficult for you. What my point is, please do not undermine the importance and effectiveness of psychiatric treatment in mental illness. In addition, a lot of what you need is also managed by a multi-disciplinary team consisting of a psychologist, occupational therapist etc. So do try and get in touch with a psychiatrist that really understands your problem and guides you to these additional venues that can improve your quality of life.

It is a difficult path I know. But Allah gives us hardships that He knows we can overcome and realize more of our strengths and live up to them in the process. Don't ever give up or feel there is no way out. A lot of the times our problems are blessings in disguise. I wish you the best, feel free to PM me if you need any info regarding specific medical/psychiatric advice.

Peace.

Salam sister , 

thank you for the advice that you give me . I admit that I didn’t take medication before this cuz of the medication that made me dizzy and drained . I tried to kill myself and thought of suicide but I didn’t act upon it . I  had lose hope of the pressure of the voice and this voice is own by man who act if he can help and act innocent . I want to ask sis , how to handle the critical of other people and the voice inside my head