Rate this topic

How does everyone on Shiachat view the Monarch of Safavid dynasty Shah Ismail I? Was he good? Was he evil? 

Some Shia Muslims praise him, some distance themselves from him and most Sunnis tend to dislike him because of his efforts to make Persia the bastion of Shia Islam. 

I know we've discussed the history of Iran being converted to Shia Islam before but I want to discuss this person alone and what you think his motivations and intentions might've been. 

My overall judgement on Ismail I is a positive one. If we have a backbone at all in the world politics today, or a demographic strength to even be of some consequence, it is because of this man. If the madhab of Ahlul Bayt(as) stands strong and proud in Iran, it is because of him. It is he who laid the foundations for the later reforms adopted by Shah Abbas to firmly ground tashayyu in Iran. He provided an asylum for the Shia scholarship and laity fleeing Ottoman persecution. Yes, there are some problematic aspects of his personality, such as his lavish lifestyle, some of his near-Ghuluww beliefs, his claims to possessing supernatural powers etc etc. But these  should not be viewed in isolation, but alongside his services to the madhab of Ahlul Bayt(as), which are great and undeniable.

I couldn't care less about what Sunnis think. Throughout Islamic history, they have gloated at our persecution and massacres and never ever lifted a finger to save us, even though they were always the majority. To be logically and morally consistent, they should condemn the Shi'i genocide under the Umayyads and the Abbasids, or the ethnic cleansing of the Shias under Salahaddin and the Ayyubids in Egypt and the Levant, or even their oppression by the Ottomans with equal readiness and gusto. Odds are high that you will not even be able to get a Sunni to admit to this persecution. Also, ask them why is it that the Shafi'i madhab predominates in Egypt, the Levant and South-East Asia, the Maliki madhab in North Africa and the peninsular Arabia and the Hanafi madhab in Iraq, Central Asia and South Asia. It is because these madahib were patronized by the local rulers at some point of time or the other. What did Saladdin do to Egypt after the fall of the Fatimids? 

The accounts of alleged atrocities committed by him on the Sunnis are grossly exaggerated.

Nobody says that he was a perfect man. He was not some religious figure or holy personality. But he was a great ruler and I esteem him for the services he rendered to our madhab.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn
spell error

On 6/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Monarch of Safavid dynasty Shah Ismail I? 

You mean Abu'l-Moẓaffar Ismā'īl ibn Shaykh Ḥaydar ibn Shaykh Junayd. :D 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismail_I

Edited by wolverine
link

2 hours ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

Nobody says that he was a perfect man. He was not some religious figure or holy personality. But he was a great ruler and I esteem him for the services he rendered to our madhab.

He was a realist. He knew that he made mistakes:

Ismail was also a prolific poet who, under the pen name Khaṭāʾī (which means "he who made a mistake" or "he who was wrong" in Persian), 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismail_I 

May God forgive his mistakes.

Edited by Hameedeh
Member asked to edit. Strike through fonts added.