Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it Haram to spearfish/Bowfish then eat the fish

Rate this topic

Guest Amir

My mom says its haram to have fish thats killed in the water, is that true,since i want to go bow fishing with my friends and I would be killing the fish in the water with my bow and arrow. Thank you.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
48 minutes ago, Guest Amir said:

My mom says its haram to have fish thats killed in the water, is that true,since i want to go bow fishing with my friends and I would be killing the fish in the water with my bow and arrow. Thank you.

Never heard of anything like that

i mean whats the difference if a fish is killed in or outside the water BUT u should ask a knowledgeable person about this 

• Advanced Member

2624. If a fish with scales is caught alive from water, and it dies thereafter, it is Pak and it is halal to eat it, even if the scales are shed off later due to some reasons. And if it dies in the water, it is Pak, but it is haraam to eat it. However, it is lawful to eat it if it dies in the net of the fisherman. A fish which has no scales is haraam even if it is brought alive from water and dies out of water.

2625. If a fish falls out of water or a wave throws it out, or the water recedes and the fish remains on dry ground, if some one catches it with his hand or by some other means before it dies, it will be halal to eat it after it dies.

Source

I don't know if there's any life in the fish after you hit it with a spear or bow BUT for example, you hit it, it still has some life left in it, you take it out of water and you see that it dies outside then there is no issue. As opposed to for example people electrocuting fishes or killing them with explosives, where they die inside the water instantly and float to the surface - that is haram to eat.

27 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

actually after asking it seems your mom maybe right... you cant kill fish in the water

Like nobody ever does

every sailor captures the fish and then kills it

Edited by Natsu
  • Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Natsu said:

2630. If a fish is cut into two parts out of water, and one part of it falls into water while it is alive, it is halal to eat the part which has remained out of water, and the recommended precaution is that one should refrain from eating it.

2626. It is not necessary that a person catching a fish should be a Muslim or should utter the name of Allah while catching it. It is, however, necessary that a Muslim should have seen or ascertained that the fish was brought alive from the water, or that it died in the net in water.

I guess there is something to fish dying in water that makes it not halal... unless it was in a net??

5 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

2630. If a fish is cut into two parts out of water, and one part of it falls into water while it is alive, it is halal to eat the part which has remained out of water, and the recommended precaution is that one should refrain from eating it.

2626. It is not necessary that a person catching a fish should be a Muslim or should utter the name of Allah while catching it. It is, however, necessary that a Muslim should have seen or ascertained that the fish was brought alive from the water, or that it died in the net in water.

I guess there is something to fish dying in water that makes it not halal... unless it was in a net??

Well there are alot of things that we dont know

only Allah knows exactly why

• Advanced Member
15 minutes ago, Natsu said:

Q: Canned tuna fish is sold in western countries and usually represent a perfect solution for many Muslims there when they fail to find ḥalāl meat. Question: Is it allowed to eat tuna fish cans when it is impossible to know whether it died after taking them out of water?
A: For scaled fish to be ḥalāl one should be certain that a human being took it out alive from water and it died outside water; otherwise, eating it is impermissible. In this ruling, there is no difference between canned tuna fish or other kinds of fish. However, if it is imported from Muslim countries, it is ruled to be ḥalāl. Also, if one doubts as to whether it has scales or not, it is apparently ruled as ḥalāl unless the opposite is known.

http://www.leader.ir/en/book/72?sn=12221

Ayt Sayyed.Khamaeni

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Natsu said:

at the same time 
http://www.leader.ir/en/content/20709/Scaled-fish-died-inside-fishing-net

Q: What is the rule on scaled fish died in the fishing net?

A: The scaled fish died in the fishing net is ḥalāl

it is a confusing matter tbh...

12 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

at the same time 
http://www.leader.ir/en/content/20709/Scaled-fish-died-inside-fishing-net

Q: What is the rule on scaled fish died in the fishing net?

A: The scaled fish died in the fishing net is ḥalāl

it is a confusing matter tbh...

Yes 

but i follow seyed sistani so everybody should follow their own marja

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Natsu said:

Yes 

but i follow seyed sistani so everybody should follow their own marja

Syd sistani has the same confusion

"It is, however, necessary that a Muslim should have seen or ascertained that the fish was brought alive from the water, or that it died in the net in water.

3 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

Syd sistani has the same confusion

"It is, however, necessary that a Muslim should have seen or ascertained that the fish was brought alive from the water, or that it died in the net in water.

Ye ik 

but in most of the muslim countries

it is caught by sailors by using net

at least thats what ik

13 hours ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Source

I don't know if there's any life in the fish after you hit it with a spear or bow BUT for example, you hit it, it still has some life left in it, you take it out of water and you see that it dies outside then there is no issue. As opposed to for example people electrocuting fishes or killing them with explosives, where they die inside the water instantly and float to the surface - that is haram to eat.

Who would do that?

i mean also western people wont just kill the fishes with explosives

thats too much

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Natsu said:

Who would do that?

i mean also western people wont just kill the fishes with explosives

thats too much

It is done with small charges in some countries to save time and they can't be bothered with waiting. Bad practice as it kills a lot of fish, even small and mess up with the ecosystem.