Jump to content
ali_fatheroforphans

Do you find it hard to discuss God/Religion?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salam,

I don't like it how society is making it difficult for common people to talk about religion. Yeah, we certainly have scholars who talk about religion all day, and that is great. However why is talking about religion and God in an informal setting difficult for people? I believe that many people want to talk about God, but they don't know how to express themselves. People don't know how to talk without offending the beliefs of others.

Treating topics which have always intrigued the minds of humans as 'sensitive' is irrational in my opinion. Keeping the concept of God as some personal thing is not right. Yes, it is our own personal journey to discover the truth and understand the essence of God, however why can't this be openly discussed, other than in Islamic seminaries and mosques?

I might have this view maybe due to my own personal experiences. Do you find it hard to casually discuss God with your non-Muslim friends?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are right, brother. Discussing God and religion in what would be called 'public' spheres of civic life is becoming increasingly difficult these days.

All my friends at the university are non-Muslims. There is one non-conformist Sunni girl in my class (doesn't wear the hijab, doesn't pray, seems learned about religion though,but I don't know whether she fasts or not) and another young lady who is quite non-conformist but professes to a 'Wahhabi' but is actually quite non-conformist (no hijab, no namaz, makeup, male friends etc etc). Apparently I am the only observant Muslim in the class (or maybe my entire department), but differences in commitment towards religion and sectarian differences (the Wahhabi one is anti-Shia, not so much the Sunni one; she's Barelwi I presume) preclude the possibility of any dialogue between us.

My closest friends are theists, but they do not want to pick any particular religion. They also disagree with some of the 'conservative' positions that Islam takes, and which are not in line with the current postmodern- liberal politico-ideological consensus. But in general, they are well disposed towards Islam. They do not swallow the liberal-secularist slush without a grain of salt, and are quite revisionist and skeptical in their outlook, and uniformly so.

I remember having an argument with a non-Muslim classmate of mine (a liberal) over the legality of incest on Facebook, and a best friend of mine (he's a secular deist) supported me against her.
Nowadays, with countries like France and Switzerland banning everything from minarets to hijabs, forcing Muslims to shake hands with na-mahrams, and forcing Muslim hoteliers and retailers to sell pork and alcohol in their establishments under the garb of 'secularism', it will be more difficult to speak up about your religious choices in public.
May Allah swt aid us in these trying times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always seem to have a very good time discussing religion with practicing Christians and other adherents of monotheistic faiths. It always seems to end in disagreement but ending on the note we are much more similar than we are different and that is something to celebrate. When it comes to people who are secular and the "I'm not religious but spiritual types" who are often very liberal on issues like Abortion, homosexuality etc they often shut you down for having conservative beliefs. I find it hard to discuss religion with these people who just claim  "Jesus and god loves everybody therefore you can commit any sin you want" 

Edited by Wholehearted Shi'a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

I think you are right, brother. Discussing God and religion in what would be called 'public' spheres of civic life is becoming increasingly difficult these days.

All my friends at the university are non-Muslims. There is one non-conformist Sunni girl in my class (doesn't wear the hijab, doesn't pray, seems learned about religion though,but I don't know whether she fasts or not) and another young lady who is quite non-conformist but professes to a 'Wahhabi' but is actually quite non-conformist (no hijab, no namaz, makeup, male friends etc etc). Apparently I am the only observant Muslim in the class (or maybe my entire department), but differences in commitment towards religion and sectarian differences (the Wahhabi one is anti-Shia, not so much the Sunni one; she's Barelwi I presume) preclude the possibility of any dialogue between us.

My closest friends are theists, but they do not want to pick any particular religion. They also disagree with some of the 'conservative' positions that Islam takes, and which are not in line with the current postmodern- liberal politico-ideological consensus. But in general, they are well disposed towards Islam. They do not swallow the liberal-secularist slush without a grain of salt, and are quite revisionist and skeptical in their outlook, and uniformly so.

I remember having an argument with a non-Muslim classmate of mine (a liberal) over the legality of incest on Facebook, and a best friend of mine (he's a secular deist) supported me against her.
Nowadays, with countries like France and Switzerland banning everything from minarets to hijabs, forcing Muslims to shake hands with na-mahrams, and forcing Muslim hoteliers and retailers to sell pork and alcohol in their establishments under the garb of 'secularism', it will be more difficult to speak up about your religious choices in public.
May Allah swt aid us in these trying times.

I wonders how many guys that Wahabi girl has pumped because I’ve seen tons of wahabi girls like that then they start to wear the hijab and act all religious and cause chaos. I’ve also seen ones that take off there scarfs because “she’s not ready yet” more like she hadn’t had enough guys to chat up and pump yet. Now a days talking about religion most of the time causes chaos but talking about God and his blessings upon us is not,it actually unites people and believe in One God only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, Anonymous2144 said:

I wonders how many guys that Wahabi girl has pumped because I’ve seen tons of wahabi girls like that then they start to wear the hijab and act all religious and cause chaos. I’ve also seen ones that take off there scarfs because “she’s not ready yet” more like she hadn’t had enough guys to chat up and pump yet. Now a days talking about religion most of the time causes chaos but talking about God and his blessings upon us is not,it actually unites people and believe in One God only.

LOL :hahaha::hahaha: !!!!!
I don't know whether she's been pumping guys or not, bro, that'd be qazf :hahaha:! But I have sure seen her loiter and fool around with a lot of different guys !! I think all Wahhabis are like that; these dolts need to set their own home in order before takfiring us Shia. 
I know that in a co-ed environment, it's impossible to avoid contact with the na-mahrams, but one would at least want to observe the bare minimum of haya in opposite gender interactions. That Wahhabi one is uncouth, barely civilized and doesn't know the basic etiquette of conversation; I don't see why a young man with even a semblance of sophistication would even want to go near her, unless the only thing he's interested in is.....well......as you've said, getting pumped, ha ha ha !!
The other day my professor was taking a class on the conflict in Afghanistan, and somehow the discussion veered towards Wahhabism and the sectarian dimensions of the conflict, and that hag said, "The Shia are not true followers of Islam."
I was like, "Oh yeah, here's my beard, my namaz, my fasting....and where's your hijab !!!!??" But I didn't say anything aloud, otherwise the class would have turned into a shouting match, and the professor would have asked me to leave, because you know that they can't keep a discussion civil, and I truly did not want to derail the lecture. Garbage receptacles like her are not worth my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

LOL :hahaha::hahaha: !!!!!
I don't know whether she's been pumping guys or not, bro, that'd be qazf :hahaha:! But I have sure seen her loiter and fool around with a lot of different guys !! I think all Wahhabis are like that; these dolts need to set their own home in order before takfiring us Shia. 
I know that in a co-ed environment, it's impossible to avoid contact with the na-mahrams, but one would at least want to observe the bare minimum of haya in opposite gender interactions. That Wahhabi one is uncouth, barely civilized and doesn't know the basic etiquette of conversation; I don't see why a young man with even a semblance of sophistication would even want to go near her, unless the only thing he's interested in is.....well......as you've said, getting pumped, ha ha ha !!
The other day my professor was taking a class on the conflict in Afghanistan, and somehow the discussion veered towards Wahhabism and the sectarian dimensions of the conflict, and that hag said, "The Shia are not true followers of Islam."
I was like, "Oh yeah, here's my beard, my namaz, my fasting....and where's your hijab !!!!??" But I didn't say anything aloud, otherwise the class would have turned into a shouting match, and the professor would have asked me to leave, because you know that they can't keep a discussion civil, and I truly did not want to derail the lecture. Garbage receptacles like her are not worth my time.

Not only these wahabi girls embarrass themselves but also prove we are right and thus why they can’t keep up with their stuffed up wahabi school of thought,they go around pumping and chatting up guys until she’s “ready” and the only guy that that would pump are the ones that like to tap and go every other girl like her cos she’s easy and stupid. Don’t waste your time arguing with them they are Simply ignorant and corrupters. If she knew the true Islam she wouldn’t go around pumping guys. Salafi/wahabi school of thought  is overly strict this is why they run around like sex dolls because they can’t handle the salafi/wahabis stuffed up strict rulings. 

Edited by Anonymous2144

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×