Rate this topic

What is your opinion of seperating prayers ?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of seperating prayers ?

• Yes
    • No

:salam:

So something interesting was brought to my attention this past weekend. While it made practical sense to me I still thought I would run it past everyone here and ask to get a general opinion on it.

A Shia brother mentioned that he intentionally seperates his prayers for Zuhr/Asr & Maghrib/Isha. He told me that he prays his Zuhr prayers at the time on his calendar (Shia calendar which does not list seperate times for Asr & Isha the way a Sunni one does). He waits some time (an hour or so) before he reads Asr and for Isha he waits an hour or so (he says he prefers to read Isha later in the evening after his kids are asleep, it allows him time for reading Quran, etc...). 

Naturally, this struck me as a little out of the norm for Shia. I do want to mention that this did seem more practical from a prayer perspective should time allow for it.

What's everyone's opinion on this ?

4 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

So something interesting was brought to my attention this past weekend. While it made practical sense to me I still thought I would run it past everyone here and ask to get a general opinion on it.

A Shia brother mentioned that he intentionally seperates his prayers for Zuhr/Asr & Maghrib/Isha. He told me that he prays his Zuhr prayers at the time on his calendar (Shia calendar which does not list seperate times for Asr & Isha the way a Sunni one does). He waits some time (an hour or so) before he reads Asr and for Isha he waits an hour or so (he says he prefers to read Isha later in the evening after his kids are asleep, it allows him time for reading Quran, etc...). 

Naturally, this struck me as a little out of the norm for Shia. I do want to mention that this did seem more practical from a prayer perspective should time allow for it.

What's everyone's opinion on this ?

I am for a separation of the five prayers in the shia world, with a re-introduction of the five adhans. This should be the norm, and people would choose if they combine. 

Not that I believe this makes it more right, but it is more logical. Five prayers = five times. 

I am curious as to when shias switched to a three adhan model.

Ps : what your friend does with one hour between dohr and asr is not correct to my knowledge. Either you combine or you pray at the fadhila.

Edited by realizm

57 minutes ago, realizm said:

what your friend does with one hour between dohr and asr is not correct to my knowledge. Either you combine or you pray at the fadhila.

oh ok.

He'd have to rely on a Sunni calendar then since Shia ones don't list Asr or Isha times.

44 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

I heard it was mustahab even in the Shia view to separate prayers so I do usually separate my prayers. 

but how do you determine when to pray Asr and Isha ?

5 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Salam, do you believe that the Prophet and his family, peace be upon them, used to join their prayers the majority of the time or separate between them?

I would imagine they prayed at separate times if the situation didn’t require them to combine them.

3 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

What's the harm in separating prayers?

There's no harm. However, if I know that I would be busy at Asr then I will perform at Zohr itself and not take any risk. In this fast paced life that's the case everyday. 

Question: Why do Shiites combine their prayers? Is it permissible to do so?

Answer: It is permissible to combine Zuhr and Asr prayers and to perform them separately as it is permissible in both manners. Performing the two prayers separately is better. It is narrated that the Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) offered his prayers in both combined as well separate manners. He combined his prayers without being in an urgent situation like war or storm.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01150/

4 hours ago, realizm said:

Ps : what your friend does with one hour between dohr and asr is not correct to my knowledge. Either you combine or you pray at the fadhila

this is not true... you can pray them whenever as long as they are in sequence and in between their time frames

the asr must be prayed at least a few minutes after the dhor adan

1 hour ago, kirtc said:

this is not true... you can pray them whenever as long as they are in sequence and in between their time frames

the asr must be prayed at least a few minutes after the dhor adan

I am pretty sure I read this before.

I will look up in sha Allah

5 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

but how do you determine when to pray Asr and Isha ?

I pray separately. Imams (A.S) said , "our shias are those who pray 51 rakat namaz daily". By separating prayers I manage to prayer nafal prayers along with wajib prayers as well, this way I get connected with Allah 5 times a day rather than 3 times a day and give more time to Allah.

In Ramadhan I left nafal prayers to finish my qaza prayers first. InshAllah I will continue nafal prayer once I am done with my wajib Qaza prayers.

For timings of 5 namaz I use apps, Shia toolkit and alqibla (one of the shia Alim said this app is checked by scholars of Qum)