In the Name of God بسم الله

It is disliked to recite poetry in ramadan.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam. Can someone explain these 2 hadiths from wsaiulshia. 

13 – Chapter on the dislike of reciting poetry at night, and during the fast, and during the month of Ramadan, even if it is a true poem

[ 13137 ] ـ 1 محمد بن الحسن بإسناده ، عن علي بن مهزيار ، عن  محمدبن يحيى عن حماد ابن عثمان قال : سمعت أبا عبدالله ( عليه السلام )يقول : تكره رواية الشعر للصائم وللمحرم ، وفي الحرم ، وفي يوم الجمعة، وأن يروى بالليل ، قال : قلت : وإن كان شعر حق ؟ قال : وإن كان شعرحق 

1 – Muhammad b. al-Hasan by his isnad from `Ali b. Mahzyar from Muhammad b. Yahya from Hammad b. `Uthman.  He said: I heard Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام saying: The narrating of poetry is disliked for the faster and the muhrim, and in the Haram, and during the day of Jum`a, and that it be narrated by night.  He said: I said: Even if it is a true poem (shi`r haqq)?  He said: Even if it is a true poem.

[ 13138 ] 2 ـ وبالاسناد عن حماد بن عثمان وغيره ، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام ) قال : لا ينشد الشعر بليل ، ولا ينشد في شهر رمضان بليلولا نهار ، فقال له إسماعيل : يا أبتاه فانه فينا ؟ قال : وإن كان فينا 

ورواه الكليني ، عن علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه عن أبن أبي عمير ، عنحماد بن عثمان 

ورواه الصدوق مرسلا عن الصادق ( عليه السلام ) . 

2 – And by the isnad from Hammad b. `Uthman and other than him from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: He said: Do not recite poetry by night and do not recite poetry during the month of Ramadan by night or day.  So Isma`il said to him: O my father, so (if) it is regarding us?  He said: Even if it is regarding us.

And al-Kulayni narrated it from `Ali b. Ibrahim from his father from Ibn Abi `Umayr from Hammad b. `Uthman.

And as-Saduq narrated it in a mursal fashion from as-Sadiq عليه السلام.

• Advanced Member
  A comprehensive look at narrations we have in this context shows that disliked poems are the pointless ones that usually were to defame and ridicule people especially at the ignorant era, or imaginations to describe beautiful women which were only to satisfy illegal sexual desires. In other words, the concept of being a poem to be disliked in the first narration, is applicable to the ones that are not fake and unreal. In this narration, the narrator asks like this “Even if the poem does not involve lies and is real?” And Imam replied, “Yes. To recite a pointless and useless poem is disliked even if that does not involve lie.” Otherwise how can we accept that to recite the poems that the poets were Imams themselves to be disliked on friday nights or friday eves! There is a narration that supports this idea. Kumayt (a famous poet of ahl al-bayt) has narrated from his father, Once I went to my master Imam al-baqir (as) and told him that I have composed a poem for him and would like to recite it before him. Imam replied, “These days are Ayam al-biid (it is not suitable to recite poems on these days). I said, “These poems are especially for you ahl al-bayt (as)”. Imam let me to recite, then I started to recite my poems. 

Wishing you all the success