Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islandsandmirrors

Death Note (2006 TV show)

Rate this topic

My husband and I just finished Death Note and I gotta say that its a favorite of mine. (Not an anime fan, but I’m definitely one after this show.) What makes this so good is that it’s a very NT (Mbti-related) show with Light Yagami being INTJ and L being INTP and the calculative competition needed to outsmart each other. And of course, Light being driven to create a society that feeds into his god-complex. I didn’t think I’d enjoy something as calculative and as morally-twisted as this show. It’s dark and compelling without trying too hard. 

The show got me hooked and had me feeling so many emotions. Especially the last few episodes.

Who else has watched this show? Did you watch it dubbed? @Gaius I. Caesar, @notme @ali_fatheroforphans

Death Note is great, but in the end it got a little unrealistic with the younger ones. They were too smart. Even L got some conclusions where I thought that that is not really realisitc. But all in all, it was great.

If you like that kind of series, watch Psycho Pass. It is a series about morals of our society and a little bit focused on the human behaviour and mind.

3 hours ago, Muslim96 said:

Death Note is great, but in the end it got a little unrealistic with the younger ones. They were too smart. Even L got some conclusions where I thought that that is not really realisitc. But all in all, it was great.

I think the reason for N and Mello being unrealistic a tad was because they needed to move quickly to avenge L. L’s biggest weakness was that he moved a little too slowly and N and Mello needed to “seal the thrift” and tie up any loose ends. 

Thats just my theory on why N was a bit unrealistic. I think he was around 20 whereas Light was around 24 by the end of the series?

3 hours ago, Muslim96 said:

If you like that kind of series, watch Psycho Pass. It is a series about morals of our society and a little bit focused on the human behaviour and mind.

I’ll definitely check that out! Love anything that has to do with human behavior. 

20 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I think the reason for N and Mello being unrealistic a tad was because they needed to move quickly to avenge L. L’s biggest weakness was that he moved a little too slowly and N and Mello needed to “seal the thrift” and tie up any loose ends. 

Thats just my theory on why N was a bit unrealistic. I think he was around 20 whereas Light was around 24 by the end of the series?

I’ll definitely check that out! Love anything that has to do with human behavior. 

Yes, could be, but I felt that the pace of the series was too high at the end.

You will enjoy Psycho Pass! Tell me what you think then.

And by the way, I always watch with Subs - the original Japanese voices are the best.

I watched it a while ago. 

The emphasis is really the psychological interplay between Light and L, which is fine, but there were different routes the story could have taken. 

Instead of random no-name Japanese criminals, why didn't he use it on big world figures? Cause anarchy and mass hysteria worldwide? Start a global crusade? Take over the world? That would have been a more interesting concept. Instead they limited the scope by keeping things local and small-scale. 

The way the show is written makes you focus on light and lights intelligence so much that you don't realize how stupid the writing is, it's more apparent around Ray Penbers wife, she's aware that her husband showing his ID is why he died yet she still showed light her ID, he literally says to her and I quote "If you want to join our team all we need is a valid form of ID" and she replys "Will a Japanese driving license be OK" .

yeah you idiot, a high school student needs to see your driving licence to make sure you can join the task force for the biggest case japan and the world has ever seen.

this woman has been grieving for weeks/months, she knows the mistake her husband made and your telling me she also makes the same mistake, I honestly can't understand it.

Just now, Beyond said:

woman has been grieving for weeks/months, she knows the mistake her husband made and your telling me she also makes the same mistake, I honestly can't understand it.

She seemed to get cornered in a vulnerable position. She was cautious and had her guard-up, but Light managed to coax out responses from her that would lead her into perhaps not thinking clearly when she handed the ID. I think Light’s manipulation became less obvious to her because of how composed he was and how he would say that right things to encourage talking about her grief. I think on some aspect, she felt safe and relief talking about Ray’s death and Light took advantage of the situation. 

3 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

My husband and I just finished Death Note and I gotta say that its a favorite of mine. (Not an anime fan, but I’m definitely one after this show.) What makes this so good is that it’s a very NT (Mbti-related) show with Light Yagami being INTJ and L being INTP and the calculative competition needed to outsmart each other. And of course, Light being driven to create a society that feeds into his god-complex. I didn’t think I’d enjoy something as calculative and as morally-twisted as this show. It’s dark and compelling without trying too hard. 

The show got me hooked and had me feeling so many emotions. Especially the last few episodes.

Who else has watched this show? Did you watch it dubbed? @Gaius I. Caesar, @notme @ali_fatheroforphans

I watched bits of it in Japanese,  I find English dub strangely irritating but I haven't watched Death Note in it's entirety.

6 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

She seemed to get cornered in a vulnerable position. She was cautious and had her guard-up, but Light managed to coax out responses from her that would lead her into perhaps not thinking clearly when she handed the ID. I think Light’s manipulation became less obvious to her because of how composed he was and how he would say that right things to encourage talking about her grief. I think on some aspect, she felt safe and relief talking about Ray’s death and Light took advantage of the situation. 

it was literally the one and only information she had and she couldn't even follow it, even if she felt vulnerable there is no excuse/reason that she could give for trusting light who she just met a few moments ago.

1 minute ago, Beyond said:

it was literally the one and only information she had and she couldn't even follow it, even if she felt vulnerable there is no excuse/reason that she could give for trusting light who she just met a few moments ago.

True. Very true. I think the purpose for her carelessness was to show that people are more likely to be taken advantage of or hurt when going through an emotional time. She seemed to sort of latch onto him as a source of comfort after letting her guard down. 

I guess that’s some people for you. Gotta be cautious sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, Hussaini624 said:

Light lost his sanity towards the end. A perfect representation of what too much power can do to you.

Exactly, and he had composed himself for so long until he finally cracked. 

The scenes where the build-up happened and when he started getting flashbacks of his life was what got me. He could have had a very different life. He could have been successful, married, have a generally good life. But no. He decided to corrupt himself and he destroyed his entire family. For what? And in the end, died a very painful and slow death. 

People are greedy. That’s why evil is in the world—to help us stay humble and show our imperfections.

6 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

@Islandsandmirrors Have never watched or heard of it, but might give it a go :) seems interesting.

Definitely recommend if you do decide to watch it! 

There are some websites you can watch it on, but I also believe it’s on YouTube. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

14 hours ago, Reza said:

I watched it a while ago. 

The emphasis is really the psychological interplay between Light and L, which is fine, but there were different routes the story could have taken. 

Instead of random no-name Japanese criminals, why didn't he use it on big world figures? Cause anarchy and mass hysteria worldwide? Start a global crusade? Take over the world? That would have been a more interesting concept. Instead they limited the scope by keeping things local and small-scale. 

Uh, he actually did. I don't know if you watched the whole series but while he started in Japan, he did start killing criminals all over the world. That's also why, for example, when N is introduced in the story, he is working at the behest of the US government and the people under him are FBI agents and so on.

15 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

It was also my first anime and it was just AWESOME.

I would also suggest giving Code Geass a look. If you're interested in the sort of two clever guys' high stakes chess match kinda feel that Death Note has, you'll definitely enjoy Code Geass. It also has very interesting themes about revolution, morality and so on. Another good choice might be Monster, though it's far less dramatic than most anime are (I'm sure the first thing that stood out to you about anime was how extravagant and cheeky things often are). Indeed, I think Monster's story would be far better if it was, say, a TV series than an anime but, either way, excellent show that looks at (again) morality, psychological trauma, and so on.

1 hour ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

Uh, he actually did. I don't know if you watched the whole series but while he started in Japan, he did start killing criminals all over the world. That's also why, for example, when N is introduced in the story, he is working at the behest of the US government and the people under him are FBI agents and so on.

I did watch it all, a long time ago. 

Im referring to presidents, prime ministers, kings, CEO’s etc. As far as I know, he never did that.

3 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

It was also my first anime and it was just AWESOME.

I would also suggest giving Code Geass a look. If you're interested in the sort of two clever guys' high stakes chess match kinda feel that Death Note has, you'll definitely enjoy Code Geass. It also has very interesting themes about revolution, morality and so on. Another good choice might be Monster, though it's far less dramatic than most anime are (I'm sure the first thing that stood out to you about anime was how extravagant and cheeky things often are). Indeed, I think Monster's story would be far better if it was, say, a TV series than an anime but, either way, excellent show that looks at (again) morality, psychological trauma, and so on.

I’m glad you liked it! 

We are watching Code Geass right now! (First time for me, not the first time for my hubby.) I’m loving Code Geass so far too. I see the similar themes of curruption in power/those who attain it in both DN and CG. I like the incorporation of the robots too because it symbolizes society as a whole being controlled by the ones in position of power. 

I’ll definitely check out Monster!  Love psychological trauma and its effects! I’ll probably create separate threads after finishing each anime so we can all start discussing them. And haha, yes, I’ve noticed how some anime are very extravagant, and it was the main reason why I avoided most anime for the longest time. I’m glad Death Note opened up my perceptions and challenged my previous views. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

The first half of Death Note was great, but went downhill after ep 25 IMO.

Check out Kaiji (2 seasons) and Monster (74 eps) as well, and if you want to see the absolute best the medium has to offer, watch Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Legend of the Galactic Heroes [the original version, not the inferior remake]; 2 movies + 110 eps).

2 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’m glad you liked it! 

We are watching Code Geass right now! (First time for me, not the first time for my hubby.) I’m loving Code Geass so far too. I see the similar themes of curruption in power/those who attain it in both DN and CG. I like the incorporation of the robots too because it symbolizes society as a whole being controlled by the ones in position of power. 

I’ll definitely check out Monster!  Love psychological trauma and its effects! I’ll probably create separate threads after finishing each anime so we can all start discussing them. And haha, yes, I’ve noticed how some anime are very extravagant, and it was the main reason why I avoided most anime for the longest time. I’m glad Death Note opened up my perceptions and challenged my previous views. 

Hah! Looks like your new husband has corrupted you. I like him already.

Another good choice might be Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, if you like fantasy. It deals with the nature of good and evil (and, again, god-like power, which is a common theme in anime) but the focus is a lot more on personal relationships. It's considered the best anime by many, many people. Similar themes are also explored in the Fate series (Fate/Zero, in particular, is relatively dark and gritty). Plus, it has insane action so pretty good all around.

Oh, and by the way, they renewed Code Geass for a third season - I think it comes out later this year or next year - after sooooo long. It'll be interesting to see how they continue the story from there.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra