bunny55

Serious Question about Hijab - Living in the West

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Keep in mind that "real danger" is a pretty strong term, much different from social discomfort.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

The brother is correct.

Real danger means your life is in bodily harm.

Not that people look at you the wrong way or say hurtful things.

Ignore the whispers of Shaitain and be inspired by Sayyida Zahra and Sayyida Zaynab.  Ask Allah for strength and courage to help you.

Whatever you put your mind to, you will do it.  Look inside your heart and understand what fears you are struggling with.  Do your utmost to remove them and you will pull through.  Make the Imam of Your Time proud.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

As a physician, i would say that if you are suffering from a medically justifiable psychologically maladaptive condition such a depression, severe anxiety, agoraphobia or other such illness then you may have justification to remove your hijab or find another way to cover yourself that is not as identifiably muslim. Like some orthodox jewish women are bald and wear wigs .

I think above all our Merciful and Beneficial Lord who loves us more than our Parents will judge you based on your niyyat not always the resultant action.

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى guide your niyyat and actions.

I am also dismayed but not surprised by the forthright judgemental opinions, especially my fellow brothers.

The first part of hijab is that men should keep their glances down and not be looking at women especially na-mahram non muslims, I am sure these brothers are  performing their islamic obligations before passing judgement. Also I am sure they are also all keeping beards and never wearing unislamic clothing  like tight jeans or shorts above the knees.

Edited by Hasani Samnani

@Hasani Samnani

You do not have the authority to tell people to remove their hijab.  That is up to the jurist to determine if she can't.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:42 PM, bunny55 said:

Salaam fellow brothers and sisters, 

I have a 100% serious question with regard to wearing of the hijab. I would very much appreciate it if opinionated answers can be avoided as I would like direct evidence from different Marjas/authentic sources etc. Additionally, kindly refrain from telling me right vs. wrong as I am aware of the basic requirements as to why a woman has to wear a hijab and that it's obligatory/mandatory in Islam. Again, I would like to emphasize on evidence over opinionated responses. 

Here's my dilemma: 

Hijab wearer in the West (North America) for approx. a decade. Lately (since the past few years), my life has become very difficult due to the hijab. There has been several incidences of ignorance/racism that I have faced since wearing it and the "looks" from non-Muslims have just become worse since Islamophobic times. The social pressure has destroyed my self-esteem/confidence to walk in public for even routine tasks and as a result, I have developed psychological problems due to an extreme negative impact on my mental health. I rarely step outside of the house and if I do, I instinctively 'hide' from people whenever possible. My family has commented on that several times and have said that for the sake of my mental well-being, I should take if off and just dress modestly. Furthermore, I fear for my safety as well each time I have to travel to certain parts of the country/countries for work/or general travel because there has been attempts of harm from non-Muslims who additionally had a very unwelcoming attitude or treated me as a pest because of the hijab (I'm sick of undergoing name-calling in public too). Therefore, the hijab has made my life miserable in the West and as much as I desperately want to do everything commanded by God, the circumstances have become difficult to a point where my health is severely being impacted. In such type of a situation where carrying on with a religious obligation has made a believer's life miserable/difficult, what are the Marjas views? Would it still be haraam to take the hijab off at the cost of my psychological well-being? Are there any ahadith that shed more light on this situation? West being home and having no Shia muslim support network, I am totally lost and don't know where to seek an answer; this platform being the only place where I've come for help. 

(P.S. I have also been to psychologists/psychiatrists who either did not understand my religious dilemma or wanted me to take it off to get better). 

Thank you all in advance for your answers. 

Move to a place where hijab is common place(like Dearborn , SE Michigan), noone will stare at you. 

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

@Hasani Samnani

You do not have the authority to tell people to remove their hijab.  That is up to the jurist to determine if she can't.

@Laayla

I am afraid dear sister you did not read my response very carefully and I always try to be very careful with my words so they will not be twisted, despite that, you are grossly attempting that. 

I never told her that I have the authority for anything,  I said that she may ( key word here ) have medical justification for an action. I agree that this would conditional to an allowance granted by her marjaa. I have found the Marjeat to be remarkably accepting of medical conditions when rules need to be bent or broken.

I did not tell anyone to remove their hijaab and your false accusation is both slanderous and inflammatory, maybe not you did not intend such a act and in spirit of Ramadan I forgive you and May Allah forgive me for my own errors of omission and commission.  

But before making a wild accusation against anyone especially your brother or sister in Islam, i would suggest you think and ponder before responding. 

Fee Emaanullah and Was Salaam wa barakatahu.

Edited by Hasani Samnani

Living in Italy I can relate with your experience. I'm wearing my hijab - that I absolutely love - but not always. People living in islamic countries can't probably understand how wearing an hijab in Europe or USA can expose you to a real danger, continous discrimination and moreover make you the target of unwanted attention. A modest clothing and a normal scarf here it's already regarded like something weird.

Hijab is not just to cover, in each religion the top of the head is considered sacred and covered or shaved, especially during worshipping. This is the mystical meaning of hijab. When you get it you are fine with it. My advise is: don't force yourself: it would be like fasting without praying. Step by step, you'll get there inshallah.

7 hours ago, Hasani Samnani said:

@Laayla

I am afraid dear sister you did not read my response very carefully and I always try to be very careful with my words so they will not be twisted, despite that, you are grossly attempting that. 

I never told her that I have the authority for anything,  I said that she may ( key word here ) have medical justification for an action. I agree that this would conditional to an allowance granted by her marjaa. I have found the Marjeat to be remarkably accepting of medical conditions when rules need to be bent or broken.

I did not tell anyone to remove their hijaab and your false accusation is both slanderous and inflammatory, maybe not you did not intend such a act and in spirit of Ramadan I forgive you and May Allah forgive me for my own errors of omission and commission.  

But before making a wild accusation against anyone especially your brother or sister in Islam, i would suggest you think and ponder before responding. 

Fee Emaanullah and Was Salaam wa barakatahu.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Looks like I misunderstood your first post.  Thank you for your forgiveness. Since you showed me mercy, Allah swt also give you mercy and forgiveness in this holy month.

The sister needs to attempt to contact the rep of her marja3 and explain her situation, to get permission to remove her hijab if her life is in danger.

Coincidentally I just saw this:

Nike's new hijab is designed to make sport more comfortable for Muslim women and goes on sale in 2018.

The light fabric has tiny holes for breathability and the length has also been designed to stop it coming untucked during activity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39205965/nike-becomes-first-major-brand-to-launch-hijab-for-women

_95034449_nikehijab.jpg

Moving to/Living in a non-Muslim country is only permissible as long as one is able to observe Islamic duties freely. 

الذين توفاهم الملائكة ظالمي انفسهم قالوا فيم كنتم قالوا كنا مستضعفين في الارض قالوا الم تكن ارض الله واسعة فتهاجروا فيها فاؤلئك ماواهم جهنم و ساءت مصيرا

Sura Nissa(4), Aya 97