Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
peopleofchadar

Fasting in Extremes

Rate this topic

My brother is living in sweden in a region place where the sun sets only for for a very short time

According to the the calculator here : http://izhamburg.de/ (this is a shia center in Germany), his fast would be a bit more than/around  22 hours. which gies basically 1.50-2.00 hours to consume food.

Can someone point to fatwas on this topic. 

Thank you all very much

In Sweden because the temperature of the air makes this area at some time during the afternoon for twenty hours or more. What about the fasting and prayers on the hot summer days?
Question
We live in Sweden. The Swedish state is located in the northern hemisphere. This geographical location makes us not see the night in the summer. And in the winter it was very short in the afternoon. The atmosphere and the air temperature in this country have an effect on our prayers.

The Office of Grand Ayatollah Makarim Syirazi (Mudda Zhilluhu al-'Ali):

In the variety of fiqh literature we come across things that talk about nonstandard issues that state to do good deeds according to standard standards. For example things that are not standard in ablution are washed according to standard size and so are in other problems. Therefore, in areas where day and night come out of the standard standard, it should act in accordance with standard areas (such as areas of normal air temperature).Later some people from the Finnish region have asked us about such long days that they do not have the ability to fast. In answering that question, so that they would not be caught in the doubt, we chose the horizon of Tehran and said that here (Teheran) is at five o'clock after midnight and breaks the fast at eight o'clock after Dhuhr. You can also match the local time of the imsak at five o'clock and eight o'clock after Dhuhur breaking the fast. Therefore, such persons perform their worship in accordance with the syar'i times of normal airspace areas that are at least on a meridian's line with them.

Office of the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (Mudda Zhilluhu al-'Ali):

Mukallaf should pay attention to the times of daily prayer and fasting according to the horizon of the area where he lived. But if (he)   unable to fast or difficult for him to fast, because the length of the day, then the time of fasting adah has fallen and qadha -nya become mandatory.

Office of Grand Ayatollah Shafi Gulpaigani (Mudda Zhilluhu al-'Ali):

In accordance with asumi the question posed, according to short days (one or two hours) or long (twenty two hours) he must perform the task of praying and fasting. Yes, in areas that night and day for example each six months, it seems, adequate for charity in accordance with the times of the nearest area.And if you are able then you have to move the normal area.

Answer Ayatollah Mahdi Hadawi Tehrani (May Allah Almighty Continue His Blessing) is as follows:

In areas that have normal day and night time, meaning that during twenty-four hours the sun sinks and rises normally then (you) must practice syar'i tasks in accordance with the time of day and night. And if the length of day makes them exhausted then the obligation of fasting ( adâ ) for them to fall and they must replace it ( mengqqaq at other times). And they can replace the abandoned fast on the short winter days

http://www.islamquest.net/id/archive/question/fa7170

3- According to Ayatullah Sistani, it is obligatory in these areas to read the prayers according to its particular times; but it is obligatory for Ramadan to be fasting if fasting is possible during Ramadan, and if it is not able to fast during Ramadan , The fasting will be abandoned from him and the Qada is obligatory upon him; and if he can not do it, he should give a poorly-delivered meal (Al-Husseini Sistani, explaining Al-Masalah, questions about prayer and fasting, P. 615,  issue 88, v2and Tabataba'i Yazdi, Al-Uta'a al-Moqaqi, the Susqueat al-Sistine, c. 2, Trqqbbt al-Hilal, p. 461, issue 10, section 220).
Ayatollah Sistani said about the Ramadan fasting in these areas:"If a Muslim lives in a city or a country whose length of the day is twenty-three hours and the length of the night is only one hour, or on the image, it is obligatory for him to take the fast of the holy month of Ramadan and if it is not possible, the fast Ramadan is suppressed from him; if he later could Qada , though by moving to a city or adjacent country. If a Qada can not, then give a poor diet to  for every day (Hakim, Jurisprudence for Westerners, p. 104, issue105). "

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

4 hours ago, peopleofchadar said:

According to the the calculator here : http://izhamburg.de/ (this is a shia center in Germany), his fast would be a bit more than/around  22 hours. which gies basically 1.50-2.00 hours to consume food.

He gets like 5 hours to eat. 

:salam:

I looked at sweden timings, Maghreb 21:50 and Fajr 01:36.

Very long but not impossible... I could not live there for such reasons though.

Btw, timetable shows an imsak of 30 minutes, and 36 minutes between sunset and Maghreb... Quite long isn't it?

4 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

He gets like 5 hours to eat. 

1 hour ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I looked at sweden timings, Maghreb 21:50 and Fajr 01:36.

Very long but not impossible... I could not live there for such reasons though.

Btw, timetable shows an imsak of 30 minutes, and 36 minutes between sunset and Maghreb... Quite long isn't it?

I appreciate the reply, but I am looking more for rulings 

Just now, peopleofchadar said:

I appreciate the reply, but I am looking more for rulings 

Wait when Ramadhan start till it goes to half, we truly have about two hours to eat. And at this time it is hard to eat and drink enough water, because of the short time. 

Are we making religion harder than it needs to be? I remember this question was asked few years ago, and there were many options available for people living in such areas. I think one option was to keep fast according to the timings of the area closest to the place where you live. There was even one option for fasting for just 12 hours. I will need to search sistani.org and look if I can find those rulings, unless rules have changed. 

Edited by rkazmi33

17 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

Are we making religion harder than it needs to be? I remember this question was asked few years ago, and there were many options available for people living in such areas. I think one option was to keep fast according to the timings of the area closest to the place where you live.

Its only if the sun doesn't set or you cannot differentiate dark from light. 

Food isn't the hard part in these places, it's water, in my opinion.  I frequently fast for 24 hours at a time, sometimes up to 48.  But that's without food, not water.  If you can avoid exertion and sweating and get in enough water with a little bit of fat and protein, it'll be difficult, but more doable than you think.