Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
SoRoUsH

Why is there a God?

Rate this topic

سلام

We are encouraged to ponder upon "Why there's something instead of nothing." Thinking about this question will eventually lead us to an intelligent creator.

However, we rarely ask, "Why is there a God instead of no God?"

This question is different from "Is there a God?" It's also different from "How do we know there is a God?" It's also different from "How do we know there is one God instead of many?"

If we accept there is only one God and we know this, then we can ask "Why?"

Why is there a God?

Why is the existence of a God necessary? (Not asking, "Is the existence of God necessary?")

Thanks!

5 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

سلام

We are encouraged to ponder upon "Why there's something instead of nothing." Thinking about this question will eventually lead us to an intelligent creator.

This question is different from "Is there a God?" It's also different from "How do we know there is a God?" It's also different from "How do we know there is one God instead of many?"

Why is there a God?

Why is the existence of a God necessary? (Not asking, "Is the existence of God necessary?")

Thanks!

Why is there a reality?

On 5/8/2018 at 4:50 PM, SoRoUsH said:

Can you elaborate?

For example, it is self-explanatory that triangles are three-sided.  certain truths (i.e. necessary truths) are self-explanatory.  It is necessarily true that triangles are three-sided.  

For example:
It is not self-explanatory (because it is not a necessary truth) if a triangle were big and red.  It is therefore sensible to ask why is this triangle red and big.  This is because it could have been small and orange instead!.  You can also ask, why does this triangle exist?  This is because the triangle did not have to exist.  But it doesn't make sense to ask, why is the triangle three-sided.  If a triangle were one-sided or four-sided then a triangle wouldn't be a triangle!  We call such necessary truths analytic truths because their predicate is contained in the meaning of the subject such that to deny the predicate is to deny the very meaning of the subject itself.  

For example, a bachelor is an unmarried man.

This truth is analytically necessary and therefore self-explanatory.

Why is there a god?

without a god would be nothing and to ask why is there a god would be to ask why is there anything and to ask why is anything would be to ask why is there you, why is there me, why is there world or universe or multiverse god is something that is everything but still he is one and the only the creator and the destroyer without him there would be nothing and that is why as my fellow brother mentioned above GOD is self explanatory and to give you exact answer of why is there a god well i don't have such a vast brain why not ask the almighty you will feel the answer in your heart when you will observe his creations and his wonder just look the world around you and then close your eyes and think about everthing you know and then you will know his existence he is the reason of everything and he was before every before and he will be after every after just feel him in your heart.

We know triangles exists. We know they are three-sided. But what I'm asking is why do triangles exist?

We know God exists. We know God's attributes. But why does God exist?

I guess once we determine that God does exist, then as part of God's definition, He must exist.

It is part of God's definition that, if God didn't exist, nothing else would exist. God being the creator of all things is equivalent to the three-sidedness of triangle.

So, the fact that things exist implies that God must necessarily exist.

Based on this view, those who question or doubt or deny God's existence deny that He is الخالق.

Makes sense?

On 5/8/2018 at 11:26 AM, SoRoUsH said:

سلام

Why is there a God?

Thanks!

If you recognize that the Creator is Intelligent. Why would you question the existence of the Higher Intelligence ? or the necessity of Existence as it should be obvious from your own admission that there is a Higher Intelligence so - 

Nothing wrong is asking a question, just trying to make sense of the basic concepts and logic here.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, Reza said:

The question of "why" is only valid for creation, not God itself. 

God's existence, by definition, has no "why". 

I'd like to echo and add on to this.﷽

"Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,

Allah, the Eternal Refuge.

He neither begets nor is born,

Nor is there to Him any equivalent." [Surah 112: Al-Ikhlas]

We can't specifically say that God exists for a reason, for this knowledge isn't with us nor can we rationally predict that God would exist for a purpose. This would limit him to the level of creation would it not? We can, however, determine why God wouldn't have a specific purpose. Here we talk about a diety that is eternal (not coming into existence, nor leaving existence). When on the topic of the eternal, shouldn't an eternal being have an eternal purpose? Not only that but if an eternal being had a purpose, who or what gave it that purpose? We can say that God has a purpose in our existence but to say that God himself has a purpose for existence would be irrational.

Furthermore, we were created with the purpose that we should worship none other than God. With this, we were CREATED with a purpose. Focus on the word "created". If we were created with a purpose, how can one who is uncreated and eternal have a specific purpose for existing is my question?

Warning: This is my opinion and I MAY BE WRONG! If you notice there is a mistake please correct me. Not only that but my wording may be a little off since I'm don't respond to questions like these often so again please correct me if you notice anything off.

It's a tough question. I've never thought about it. 

I think we can all agree that God is the Unknowable Essence, eternal in the past and future. 

The reason of existence of something that is beyond my understanding is not something I can answer or will ever be able to.

I think to ask why God exists, implies that God was created and ordered or given a purpose, which by definition is wrong.

We are created and given a purpose, not God.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:47 PM, SoRoUsH said:

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not asking whether God exists, but why does God exist.

Why is a triangle 3 sided? Or why does 1+1=2 ?

Your asking questions about fundamental logic which is indivisible.