Reza

**Ramadan 2018 General Discussion/Plans/Iftar**

I can't wait for Ramadan. Let's put everything behind and worship Allah like true slaves. Forget about lame workout or diet plans etc. Ramadan is much more than that - it is a month which can save us from the punishment of the grave and help us attain taqwa. I'm up for Ramadan. :)

3 hours ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

Does anyone know if Ramadan is tomorrow or Thursday in Scandinavia for sayed sistani?

Still havnt heard anything regarding it being tomorrow, inshaAllah it will be on Thursday.

Month of Ramadhan is very soon here so I want already wish Ramadan Kareem for all of you Brothers and Sisters. As reminder and wanting all best for you, please if possible recite Dua'a Abu Hamza Thumali specially in this month, Imam Sajjad (a.s) used to recite near the beginning of the fast. May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى bless you and hear your dua's.

7 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Still havnt heard anything regarding it being tomorrow, inshaAllah it will be on Thursday.

The crescent moon was not seen Tuesday night in North America. Wednesday will be the last day of Shaban here. Thursday will be the first day of the Holy Month of Ramadan. Of course if others are fasting on Wednesday, do not get into arguments with them. Peace to all and blessings for Ramadan wherever you are. 

If anyone has a book about fasting, please post.

The Merits of Fasting and the Month of Ramadan  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/message-thaqalayn/vol11-n2-2010/merits-fasting-and-month-ramadan-mohammad-ali-shomali

The Beginning of Servitude: Contemplation on the Spiritual and Epistemic Aspects of Fasting  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/message-thaqalayn/vol-14-no-2-summer-2013/beginning-servitude-contemplation-spiritual-and-epistemic 

Salam,

I was originally hearing it was going to start on Thursday (I follow the Marja, Ali Khamanei) but  this morning I'm hearing he's starting on Friday.

Is this true?

Edited by حسين

12 minutes ago, حسين said:

Salam,

I was originally hearing it was going to start on Thursday (I follow the Marja, Ali Khamanei) but  this morning I'm hearing he's starting on Friday.

Is this true?

Salam ,it starts on Thursday. 

Assalamallikum,

Ramadhan Mubarak for all of you who believe. lnshallah you fasting time will be bearable.

Night of 15/16 May is the calendar calculated New Moon with 0% "illumination".

Night of 16/17 May is the Waxing Crescent with 1% illumination.

Maybe someone can answer this: lf we go by sighting the New Moon with 0%, how can we see it? Especially if it is cloudy.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:16 AM, Abu Nur said:

What about we who live in Europe? 

:salam:

I, as a muqallid of Sayyed M.H. Fadlallah (rah) started today as here in Europe we share a portion of the night with places where the moon was observed with optical aid last evening (places like southern and northern Americas).

All other offices of maraji` declared it on thursday.

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Wa Alikum Assalam brother Hassan

Ramadan mubarak to you and your love ones.  

Tonight we check to see the helal.

It was impossible to see it yesterday, so I have no idea how today some are fasting as the first day of the holy month.

If we cannot see it tonight then tomorrow is youm al sheq.

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:59 AM, ShiaChat Mod said:

Of course Sunnis might start fasting one day early, according to their usual announcement by the Saudi Kingdom. It's wise for Shias to either fast as their Sunni neighbors do OR at least to not eat, drink or smoke publicly in locations where Sunnis would backbite you for not fasting during Ramadan.  

They start Thursday, too. At least most of them.

Edited by Muslim96

As always, there's too much confusion regarding the first day of the month of Ramadhan.
Followers of Al-Khoei start on Thursday. And they always start one day earlier than followers of Sistani.

I don't understand why and how NASIMCO considers today to be the first day of the month. Many North American Hillal committees and associations have declared that they couldn't observe the moon on Tuesday evening.

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Maybe someone can answer this: lf we go by sighting the New Moon with 0%, how can we see it? Especially if it is cloudy.

It is not possible to see 0% illuminated. If I remember correctly, 4% illuminated is visible with unaided eyes in ideal sighting conditions of clear skies and no/little light pollution. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

It is not possible to see 0% illuminated. If I remember correctly, 4% illuminated is visible with unaided eyes in ideal sighting conditions of clear skies and no/little light pollution. 

You have been in the desert at night, l suppose.

l was struck by how clear the sky is. Now we live over here and it is cloudy most of the time. That is why l Iean towards calendar calculation. After all, we count off from the previous month's calendar to when Ramadhan automatically begins.