Salam everybody:

This is the official thread for Ramadan 2018. Discuss:

1. Preparations and plans
  2. Moon sightings
  3. Iftar suggestions, pictures, discussions
  4. Associated events
  5. Issues regarding fasting, law, rules, personal issues, etc
  6. And anything else...

Of course feel free to post any new topic in the Ramadan 2018 forum. 

To further commemorate this holy month, we have the Ramadan Midnight theme on display, and other surprises coming you way!

Ramadan Mubarak

According to moonsighting.com website, in the news ticker scrolling text, the next crescent moon sighting for the Holy Month of Ramadan is NOT expected on Tuesday, May 15, except in the Polynesian Islands. The new moon would be visible everywhere on Wednesday, May 16, so, unless you live in Polynesia, the first day of fasting would begin on Thursday, May 17. 

Edited by Hameedeh
Subject to change, based on moonsighting reports in your own location.

Of course Sunnis might start fasting one day early, according to their usual announcement by the Saudi Kingdom. It's wise for Shias to either fast as their Sunni neighbors do OR at least to not eat, drink or smoke publicly in locations where Sunnis would backbite you for not fasting during Ramadan.  

First and last of Ramadan is exciting. It's the only time everyone pays attention to the moon. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution so I'll probably have to rely on reported sightings, but I always look anyway. 

+ShiaChatMod cmon man smoking is bad for health you shouldn't promote it like that and you should stop doin it too the things i hate most in world are alcohol, smoking and other things that not only give you cancer and kill brain cells but also drive your mind crazy maybe for a while but in a while great bad things can happen so my fellow brother as well as sisters we should avoid such stuff IT IS BAD VERY BAD

Salam Guys!

I thought I would share some tips on nutrition for those who want more energy during the day fasting if you have a long day of work.

For the slow controlled release of energy indulge in whole foods with high fiber, these following foods are my suggestions on research and knowledge for working I have:

Wholemeal Bread - Opt for this over white bread as it digests slower and has less sugar (generally).

Hummus - A perfect spread on bread or as a dip, will contain protein, a nice amount of carbs and healthy fats! (Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated) 

Peanut Butter - Healthy fats and protein source

Avocado = Packed with Healthy Fats!

Oranges, cucumber, tomatoes, watermelon, etc. - Fruits and vegetables with a high index of water will be very beneficial, can get more water in without feeling like you have to drink it

Wholemeal pasta - A powerhouse of slow releasing energy, regular pasta is digested faster!

Sweet Potatoes - Same as above, white potatoes digest faster!

Beans - High protein levels and slow digesting! A good alternative to Meats

The idea behind slow release energy foods is that the sugar levels are controlled, if they rise too fast, it means your body would digest the food and the extra sugar and fats are converted to fat and stored on our beautiful waistlines instead of being used during the day. Getting energy from our fat stores is much harder than directly from the food after digestion. A spike in sugar levels (yes all Carb heavy foods will contain sugar) will give you temporary energy after suhoor when your asleep which is useless then will dip during the day leaving you more tired.

Stay away from Whitebread, high sugar foods, fast food, a lot of meat (the less the better), very oily or fried foods. Why? Same reason as above but also during digestion, bile is used, and the main makeup of bile is water. The tougher the food is to digest the more water will be used so you will become dehydrated faster. Stick to foods low in saturated fat and opt for foods with mono and poly UNSATURATED as these are better for you. Saturated and trans fats don't really do you much good and you probably have enough in your diet occurring naturally.

Follow these tips and you will be cruising through with all the energy you need, I followed this for my exams last year and Alhamdulilah Ramadan did not shake my performance at all the whole month and will be going strong this year again.

I will keep updating this post when I have more time Insha'Allah best of luck to everyone with preparation!

17 hours ago, Reza said:

Anyone having to travel during Ramadan for school, work, etc?

I am travelling from 15th to 19th May which is a holiday I booked before I even reverted! Sad to miss the first few days of my first ever Ramadan but will make them up afterwards. Do I need to fast on the days that I am on my holiday or just the days that I am physically travelling ie. flying?

1 hour ago, LaurenW said:

I am travelling from 15th to 19th May which is a holiday I booked before I even reverted! Sad to miss the first few days of my first ever Ramadan but will make them up afterwards. Do I need to fast on the days that I am on my holiday or just the days that I am physically travelling ie. flying?

If you will stay less than ten days, it's all considered travel.  You should not fast, but instead make it up.  If your stay is ten days or more, you should fast on those days, and only not fast on actual travel days.  

5 hours ago, LaurenW said:

Do I need to fast on the days that I am on my holiday or just the days that I am physically travelling ie. flying?

Salam ,no because it is lesser than ten days journy.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:22 PM, Hameedeh said:

According to moonsighting.com website, in the news ticker scrolling text, the next crescent moon sighting for the Holy Month of Ramadan is NOT expected on Tuesday, May 15, except in the Polynesian Islands. The new moon would be visible everywhere on Wednesday, May 16, so, unless you live in Polynesia, the first day of fasting would begin on Thursday, May 17. 

So in North America, the first day of fasting is Thursday, May 17?

29 minutes ago, Hussaini624 said:

So in North America, the first day of fasting is Thursday, May 17?

If the crescent moon is seen on Wednesday, May 16, which it is predicted to be seen, then fasting in North America would begin on Thursday, May 17. [Moonsighting.com says there is only one place (Polynesian Islands) that would see the moon on Tuesday and their fast would begin on Wednesday. All other countries should see the moon on Wednesday.]

On 5/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, Syed_Imran said:

+ShiaChatMod cmon man smoking is bad for health you shouldn't promote it like that and you should stop doin it too the things i hate most in world are alcohol, smoking and other things that not only give you cancer and kill brain cells but also drive your mind crazy maybe for a while but in a while great bad things can happen so my fellow brother as well as sisters we should avoid such stuff IT IS BAD VERY BAD

I never promoted smoking but merely mentioned that for people who are addicted to smoking that they should not smoke in public in front of people who are fasting, if Sunnis start fasting one day early. It is especially bad for a Muslim to do that, since people will backbite you and say you were not fasting in Ramadan. 

51 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

I never promoted smoking but merely mentioned that for people who are addicted to smoking that they should not smoke in public in front of people who are fasting, if Sunnis start fasting one day early. It is especially bad for a Muslim to do that, since people will backbite you and say you were not fasting in Ramadan. 

BTW it's better not to smoke during fasting. Fasting is not about not eating it teaches us self-control. 

15 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

BTW it's better not to smoke during fasting. Fasting is not about not eating it teaches us self-control. 

Smoking is not permitted while fasting.

2 minutes ago, notme said:

Smoking is not permitted while fasting.

I agree, but i did see some posts on SC where people were saying its ok to smoke during fast.