Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My First Ramadan

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
  • Advanced Member

Thank you @Ashvazdanghe and @AbdusSibtayn. Its very useful and massive respect for you both for your advice and links. 

Edited by Wholehearted Shi'a
  • Advanced Member

Ive been fasting since I was 13 and just wanted to give some of my personal advice

1) Try do as little work and Do something you like. E.g. Sleeping instead of for example your game of football. And doing very light stuff. Like playing games. Im not saying be Complete Lazy but try use less energy.

2) Do you like 'Love' sleeping. If not then this is what I do sometimes. Waking up for fajr most of the times is extremely hard and tiring and you will hardly know what to do. So I personally sometimes when I can stay up. Like watch a movie. Watch the world cup. Do some work until you will have Suhur and then pray and sleep. This way you eat and pray much easier. But as I said this is my personal opinion

3) During Iftar try to be as much as you can with Family. I am a very AntiSocial guy. Because thats how I am. I panic when guests come over and all that... Idk why but I am like that but only In Ramadan do I want people around. You said this is your first year so im guessing your family isnt muslim ? But even if theyre not try be with them during Iftar and if not go to A masjid or go with your muslim mates for Iftar. Its an amazing feeling.

4) First few days it would be very weird as its your first time. However trust me a few days on it would be so easy. Just honestly avoid heat to avoid thirst and just dont think about food and being Hungry at all. Just Imagine you dont even have nothing at all.

5) When Iftar time is coming up dont rush, thats first. Second always have a warm water or soup first thing, this eases out yourself and lets you enjoy your food more. 

6) As said above, help the poor. This is as far as I know one of the reasons of Ramadan. To feel how the poor and those who dont have feel. So try help them. Get them food and drinks and help

7) I did say this above but, I am religious but I dont Like going Masjids a lot personally. But during Ramadan its very beautifull to see the community around you and go with friends

8) Lastly, Just be around muslim people. Doesnt matter Sunni or Shia be as much as you can with muslim mates. When youre around them it wont feel like your fasting or being missed out or something.

Overall, Enjoy it. Experience why the Majority of Muslim enjoy Ramadan so much. Try your hardest. I will remember you in my Dua. Bye for now

• Advanced Member

Alaykum asalam,

It annoys me how people stuff themselves up before Fajr, or use their 'life hacks/tricks' so that they don't feel very hungry while they're fasting. I believe it kills the purpose of fasting. I would advise you to stay away from doing this, so that you are actually building self-control and sabr during your sawm. (a small, simple meal is sufficient)

We are in the holy month of sha'ban, and there are 11 days left of this blessed month, which the prophet himself (s) said that "Rajab is Allah's month, while Sha'ban is mine". So clearly one can find that this month is no ordinary one, but one of a high status. Fasting is very, very, very, beneficial and recommended during the months of Rajab and Sha'ban

I highly recommend you fast the next 11 days to prepare yourself spiritually, physically, and mentally for the month of Ramadan.. Not to mention the intense reward you will be receiving for fasting on this month.

Edited by Hussaini624
23 minutes ago, Hussaini624 said:

I highly recommend you fast the next 11 days to prepare yourself spiritually,

Salam ,I think 11 days is fasting is hard for new converts as we don't fast 11 days continuously in non Ramadan months, but as their first experience if they could fast 3 or 4 days before Ramadan is better .

• Advanced Member
On 5/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Salam Aleykum. 

As you are all aware we are getting closer and closer to the start of Ramadan and being a Muslim for seven months Alhumdulilah, this will be my first experience. 

I am trying to collect as much knowledge as I can ranging from a general guides, practices, laws and would love to know even some of your own personal tips and tricks during this holy month. 

Looking forward to reading all of your answers. :book:

Wa alaikum salaam!

I observed my first Ramadan last year, a few things I found myself...

Meat was way too heavy to consume for suhoor and I would also avoid bread or other dry foods. Actually last Ramadan I had a consistent suhoor diet of wraps with salad, so much my friends got agitated by it :D It was light, but I found it worked better then trying to consume a heavy meal quickly and then feeling uncomfortable for the day. Make sure to drink a few glasses of water for suhoor too. I found around 2-3pm and onward concentration falls away if you're working, if you're studying start early morning. Buy dates for iftar, they are great. I also found coconut water is nourishing.

This Ramadan I want to try some other things, I came across a few ideas

Yoghurt blocks - add in nuts, fruit and other things you want and freeze them. Easy prepared snack. I heard its better for the body to drink water in small quantities rather then gulping glasses down like some do (or I did last Ramadan too) after fasting, so I'm going to get a bottle and rehydrate with sips over the time after iftar, or a glass here and there.

I would say try at least one day prior to Ramadan to get used to the schedule

• Veteran Member

:salam:

First ramadan ? I feel like you have been a shia for much longer that that :)

Anyway many advice given above, maybe you can just start by skipping lunch during remaining days, which is not really fasting but will break this habit of systematically having a midday meal.

• Advanced Member
35 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

First ramadan ? I feel like you have been a shia for much longer that that :)

Anyway many advice given above, maybe you can just start by skipping lunch during remaining days, which is not really fasting but will break this habit of systematically having a midday meal.

Haha I get what you mean. I read and accumulate a lot of knowledge very quick so what sounds like a few years of knowledge was only learned in 7 months.

• Advanced Member

I forgot to mention as well, you should look at keeping a journal through Ramadan and write down your realisations and learnings, so you can reflect on them at a later stage

22 minutes ago, TheGreenWanderer said:

you should look at keeping a journal through Ramadan

for more information it is not a madatory part of fasting ,it is an advise from @TheGreenWanderer