Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
learn

Music

Rate this topic

I am not lessoning to music myself but it is played on our house and I can hear it. Even if i leave the room which music is played and i can still hear it. What is syed sistani ruling in this sitiation. There is no way i can avoid hearing the music in the house nor can stop the music. so is this a sin for me if i hear music this way? What other options I have in this situation? 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, learn said:

I am not lessoning to music myself but it is played on our house and I can hear it. Even if i leave the room which music is played and i can still hear it.

It depens on what kind of Music is played & your intention if it is for entertainment & you listen it for entertainment it is Haram , but if you can’t avoid it use alternative way such as using headphones to listen Quran & other religious lectures & speeches.

5 hours ago, learn said:

There is no way i can avoid hearing the music in the house nor can stop the music. so is this a sin for me if i hear music this way? What other options I have in this situation? 

Brother just take it ease. I know it is quite irritating, when you are trying to avoid certain sins but they come in your way. Remember Allah never burdens a soul more than it can't bare. If you don't have the power to stop a certain situation, then obviously you can consider it bad in your heart. Allah is all knowing. Don't worry.

I love music. (Weird stuff like Bjork and Opera.) I listen to opera especially because I love the foreign language and various singing techniques used. Music is just an appreciation of art, and it’s said that if the current music that is being played is not in haram settings (IE: the club) then that music is fine to listen to.

Not all music is haram. 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

entertainment

“Entertainment” meaning haram gatherings like clubs. But for your own entertainment and enjoyment in your own house shouldn’t be haram. Marjas have said that music used for entertainment gatherings (haram settings) is haram.

18 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

“Entertainment” meaning haram gatherings like clubs. But for your own entertainment and enjoyment in your own house shouldn’t be haram. Marjas have said that music used for entertainment gatherings (haram settings) is haram.

So music like trance or electronic music are haram to listen even in your own house, because it's used for haram gatherings?

I know it has been asked soo many times here in SC but I'm still confused.

1 minute ago, ss99 said:

So music like trance or electronic music are haram to listen even in your own house, because it's used for haram gatherings?

Good question. I'm also curious about the cultural aspect as well, music is often a big part of culture.

1 hour ago, ss99 said:

No, not necessarily. Club music is music that is not catagorically branched neatly into electronica. Rather, clubs take certain beats and warp the music until it sounds like nothing of the original.

Club music is something that you’d only find in clubs and not on some dubstep “Suggested for You”s on YouTube. 

16 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I love music. (Weird stuff like Bjork and Opera.) I listen to opera especially because I love the foreign language and various singing techniques used. Music is just an appreciation of art, and it’s said that if the current music that is being played is not in haram settings (IE: the club) then that music is fine to listen to.

Not all music is haram. 

Of course opera is haram. They play opera in gatherings it's just about your taste. Some people like rock they play rock music, some people like classical they play classical. 

Please check the video

2 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Of course opera is haram. They play opera in gatherings it's just about your taste. Some people like rock they play rock music, some people like classical they play classical.  [Mod Note: Excessively long quote was shortened in length.]

Opera is not haram. Gatherings does not mean your family coming over for dinner to celebrate your third-cousin’s new engagement. “Gatherings” means haram gatherings like the club.

And it’s also about the context. People don’t dance with Opera in a lewd manner.

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note in the quote.

2 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Opera is not haram. Gatherings does not mean your family coming over for dinner to celebrate your third-cousin’s new engagement. “Gatherings” means haram gatherings like the club.

First of ll opera will fall into al-ghina catagory and ghina is haram.

Question: What is your ruling on ghina or song?

Answer: Singing (al-ghinã’) is harãm: doing it, listening to it, or living of it. By “singing — al-ghinã’,” we mean an amusing statement expressed in the tunes that are suitable for those who provide entertainment and amusement.

What is Music?

Music, according to the New National Dictionary, means "Art of combining sounds or sequences of notes into harmonious patterns pleasing to the ear and satisfying to the emotions; melody". According to the Great Encyclopaedic Dictionary, this combining of sounds is "for reproduction by the voice or various kinds of musical instruments in rhythmic, melodious and harmonious form so as to express thought or feeling and affect the emotion;" and the word is also used for the "sound so produced," and for ‘written or printed score of musical compositions." Not so technically, it is also used for "pleasant sound, e.g., song of a bird, murmur of a stream, cry of hounds."

In Islam music is called Ghina, and in Shia Sha’riah is counted as one of the ‘great sins’. At first, it may seem unrealistic to ban every "pleasant sound"; but there is no need to be alarmed. The Sha’riah has defined ‘Ghina’ in a different way. In Islam, vocal music means: "Prolongation and vibration of sound with variation of the pitch to such an extent that people may say that ‘he/she is singing’."

It is evident from the above definition that the Sha’riah does not forbid ‘pleasant sounds’; but if someone recites any thing with prolongation of sound and variation of pitch so much so that a common man thinks that he/she is singing, then and only then it will be ‘Ghina’ and sin.

https://www.al-islam.org/music-and-its-effects-a-h-sheriff/what-music

28 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Gatherings does not mean your family coming over for dinner to celebrate your third-cousin’s new engagement. “Gatherings” means haram gatherings like the club.

Music, singing & dancing

Introduction

The residents of non-Muslim countries, as well those in some Muslim countries, are used to be bombarded by music, songs, and rhythms of dancers, be they indoors or outdoors. A question arises in their minds: is it permissible for us to listen to this tune or that song? Is it permissible for us to dance? I shall answer these two questions and others like them in the following rules.

General Rules

537. Music is an art that has spread far and wide during these days. Some varieties of this art are permissible while others are forbidden; therefore, it is permissible to listen to the first while it is forbidden to listen to the latter.

538. Music that is permissible is the music that does not entail entertainment in gatherings held for that purpose. Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

539. The expression “the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings” does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. The expression actually means that the person listening to the music or the song’s tune —especially if he is an expert in these matters— can distinguish that this tune is used in the entertainment and amusement gatherings or that it is similar to the tunes used therein.

https://www.al-islam.org/a-code-of-practice-for-muslims-in-the-west-ayatullah-sistani/music-singing-dancing

I do listen to music, occasionally mainstream stuff on the radio whilst driving, also old school rap artists like the wu tang clan unfortunately (old habits die hard), and also background music in anime, but I know and accept the fact that I'm openly doing a sin since +90% of music is islamically inadequate (if we are being brutally honest), but I will never justify my weakness and claim music is halal, we all have our greater jihad and this is one of the battles I'm stuck on at the moment but Alhamdulillah I've been  making progress and have cut back a lot and I'm gonna carry on fighting until I win inshallah, so I can look forward in tackling my next 'internal weakness ', honestly brother's and sisters it is difficult but when you sincerely crave Allah swt, the sins begin collapsing rapidly and I'm shocked at how instantly Allah swt started assisting me, Allah set has done his part now the rest is up to me, inshallah may we all crush our sins the way Ali (as) crushed the doors of khaybar, wsalam

In this situation, you are not sinning; you are fine. It is all about the intention. If you are intentionally listening to the music, you would be sinning. If you are only hearing the music, not listening, then you will not be blamed. Same goes for malls, restaurants, etc. If you are not there to listen to the music, and it just so happens to be playing in the background, Allah understands and does not record it as sin.