Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
learn

Shia Sunni Marriage

Rate this topic

He advises that shia women don't marry with sunni men because women must obey their husband & there is danger of leaving out from Shia Islam for women.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:04 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’m married to a Sunni man. 

I think this depends on the person. If the Sunni man is respectful of your beliefs and doesn’t want you to change, it should be fine. 

In a broader picture, it is troublesome. 
What if Sunni man respects the beliefs of his Shia wife and is firm on his own beliefs? That may cause problems for offspring and this is the point I am focusing. 

But I do hope that the offspring will not become nawasibs in any way as the love of Ahlul Bayt will be feed to them via mother.  

Such marriages run smoothly only as long as either of the partners, or both the partners, are not very religious or staunch regarding their beliefs.

As soon as they get religious/firm on their beliefs, the marriage/children are in trouble.

I dissuade people from cross-sectarian/denominational marriages on practical grounds.

Sayyid Ammar even has a lecture on the topic.

I'd imagine the wedding would be according to a Sunni madhab - whether that's acceptable or not it'd be one for the Marjas.

I am in a similar situation so let me tell you the reality.

Yes the people above can be right but in some cases Sunnis have more Imami qualities in their personalities than some Shi'i.

Some Sunni's aren't even aware of their belief - they're just good Muslims and get on with life - after all they are just people!

Like Ali (AS) says, the truth and falsehood are mixed - and this is so true especially in this day and age.

Beliefs are one side to the coin but personally for me akhlaq and adab comes first, beliefs can slowly be changed or enhanced - however a bad character and moral personality is more much difficult - Sunni or Shi'i...

Good luck inshallah

Honestly it is dependent on the person. If both of you are respectful and open, then it will be fine. There are so many issues that can arise in marriage, so you should be compatible as people

3 hours ago, AnotherShepherd said:

The offspring will have to seek light of their own accord. As we all do. Plenty of children raised religiously turn out...less than ideal. 

Normally, people adopt the religion of their fathers. Majority don't feel the need to seek light as they were told from the very beginning that they are on the right path.

Edited by Salsabeel

4 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

In a broader picture, it is troublesome. 
What if Sunni man respects the beliefs of his Shia wife and is firm on his own beliefs? That may cause problems for offspring and this is the point I am focusing. 

But I do hope that the offspring will not become nawasibs in any way as the love of Ahlul Bayt will be feed to them via mother.  

It would break my heart if my children grew up not crying for Hussein(as).

9 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Normally, people adopt the religion of their fathers. Majority don't feel the need to seek light as they were told from the very beginning that they are on the right path.

Yes, as every organized religion has purported since time immemorial. 

21 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

:) And think about the situation that leads to talaq (God Forbid). A Sunni man only need to say talaq, talaq & talaq to ruin the whole relationship in few seconds. Many sunni seek "halala clinics" for this reason.

Isn't that only valid for the Hanafis, brother? Their other 3 madahib don't believe in instant triple talaq, do they?

On 5/4/2018 at 12:21 PM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Isn't that only valid for the Hanafis, brother? Their other 3 madahib don't believe in instant triple talaq, do they?

I think anyone of them can enjoy the evil of this permission which is said to be granted by their second caliph Umar. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:04 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’m married to a Sunni man. 

I think this depends on the person. If the Sunni man is respectful of your beliefs and doesn’t want you to change, it should be fine. 

Congratulations on your marriage! May Allah bless you with a very happy life!!! 

Like an earlier user pointed out problems arise when a woman is expected to obey her husband and according to Islam, the word of husband is second only to the word of Allah for a woman. You will agree that two people cannot agree on everything and in every couple ,even the very happy ones there are some disagreements from time to time. So what if a sunni husband doesn't want his shia wife to spend a few thousand dollars of their money on ziyaraats for the family? It's not a small sum.What should she do? Or she wants to hold majlis in her home, another very recommended act but the husband isn't supportive? Or she wants to tell the children about the oppression of Bibi Fatima (as) and the husband thinks this is disrespect to the Caliph, or they are invited to his family for iftaar and she wants to break her fast later than everyone else but the husband thinks it will make things awkward? Which namaz will they teach the kids? How will they prepare their family for the return of Imam e Zamana(as)?? These and lots of others every day problems will arise from time to time.

Things can go in two directions 1.there will be conflict 2.Both of them will let take religious practices a backseat for the sake of their marriage. To me neither option looks good. No.1 for obvious reasons and no.2 love for Allah and Ahlebayt (as) should supersede all worldly love. 

I am not implying that you will face these issues (inshAllah,you won't) these were just general examples that can be applied on any sunni-shia couple.

@AnotherShepherd it's one of the duties of the parents to teach the children about islam. They will be questioned about this. The parents won't be held accountable nor given credit for,right or wrong, whatever path children choose to take when they grow into adults as long as they did their part when the children were little.

Edited by starlight
Grammar