Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What do you think about 1988 executions ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, alidu78 said:

I think most of these executions were right however I see also many people saying these executions were an error. What do you think about that ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_executions_of_Iranian_political_prisoners

Horrible. Revolutions are never peaceful, and atrocities normal procedures.

22 hours ago, alidu78 said:

I think most of these executions were right however I see also many people saying these executions were an error. What do you think about that ? 

Whatever has been mentioned in this link, shows a clear violation of "rights of enemies at war" available at the following link:

https://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol-4-n-3/human-rights-islam-allamah-abu-al-ala-mawdudi/chapter-4-rights-enemies-war#rights-combatants

The Prisoner of War Should not be Slain:

"No prisoner should be put to the sword" -a very clear and unequivocal instruction given by the Prophet (S).

I don't expect that person like Ayatullah Khomeini would have ignored the teachings of Islam & would have ignored how he should treat the common prisoners & the prisoners of war.

No one Should be Tied to be Killed

"The Prophet has prohibited the killing of anyone who is tied or is in captivity."

Edited by Salsabeel

• Advanced Member
45 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

how he should treat the common prisoners & the prisoners of war.

They were definitely terrorists (Monafiq) not warriors .

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Are we allowed to kill the captives (of war) whether they are munafiq or kafir or fasiq? 

It’s mentioned in Imam Khomeini Fatwa on link

In part the letter reads

Translation :[16]

[In the Name of God, The Compassionate, the Merciful,]
As the treacherous Monafeqin [Mojahedin] do not believe in Islam and what they say is out of deception and hypocrisy, and
As their leaders have confessed that they have become renegades, and
As they are waging war on God, and
As they are engaging in classical warfare in the western, the northern and the southern fronts, and
As they are collaborating with the Baathist Party of Iraq and spying for Saddam against our Muslim nation, and
As they are tied to the World Arrogance, and in light of their cowardly blows to the Islamic Republic since its inception,
It is decreed that those who are in prison throughout the country and remain steadfast in their support for the Monafeqin [Mojahedin] are waging war on God and are condemned to execution.

1. California Press, 1999, p. 210.
  2. ^ Upholding the truth (Pasdasht e Haghighat) (رضایی و سلیمی نمین، پاسداشت حقیقت) by Mohsen Rezaee and Abbas Salimi-Namin. Page 147. 2002
  3. ^ "Ayatollah Khomeini's Decree Ordering the Execution of Prisoners 1988"Human Rights & Democracy for Iran. Abdorrahman Boroumand Foundation. Retrieved 13 August 2016.

Just now, Ashvazdanghe said:

It is decreed that those who are in prison throughout the country and remain steadfast in their support for the Monafeqin [Mojahedin] are waging war on God and are condemned to execution.

Brother, I am not an Iranian citizen. If you read the whole story mentioned in wikipedia, it will give you the idea that whatever happened after this fatwa, was nothing but injustice. 

And that's why I have said this:

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

I don't expect that person like Ayatullah Khomeini would have ignored the teachings of Islam & would have ignored how he should treat the common prisoners & the prisoners of war.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding my position. 

• Advanced Member

Even if I overlook all the statistics mentioned on wikipedia and consider it as propaganda, the following paragraph is alarming and I am interested in knowing the position of Ayatullah Muntazeri on that matter:

One of the consequences of the killings was the resignation of Grand Ayatollah Hossein-Ali Montazeri as the heir-designate to Ayatollah Khomeini as Supreme Leader of Iran. Prior to the killings, Montazeri "had taken issue with the diehard cleric on a number of subjects – the trial of Mehdi Hashemi, the anti-hoarding campaign ..." When he heard of the killings Montazeri rushed off three public letters – two to Khomeini, one to the Special Commission – denouncing the executions "in no uncertain terms." He also took the Special Commission "to task for violating Islam by executing repenters and minor offenders who in a proper court of law would have received a mere reprimand."[36]Montazeri warned Khomeini: "The execution of several thousand prisoners in a few days will not have positive repercussions and will not be mistake-free."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

It was neccesarry from a political perspective 

From a religious perspective it was unjustified IMHO 

Imam Ali didn't kill captives after Jamal or nahrawan in this indiscriminate manner 

On 4/26/2018 at 2:44 AM, alidu78 said:

Salaam Alaykum

First of all, Wikipedia is an open source website, and anybody can change its data.

About executions, Mojahedin Khalgh were the ISIS of 1988. Did you know that? Do you know how many innocent men and women they killed and tortured?

There are a lot of pictures online showing that Mojahedin Khalgh group killed normal people JUST BECAUSE THEY HAD HIJAB OR BEARD. WHOEVER THEY FOUND ON THE STREET WHO SUPPORTS ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN, THEY KILL HIM/HER. You're probably surprised, but it is true. They were ISIS of 1988. Whenever they found a hijabi woman alone, they killed her or kidnapped her and tortured her in their houses until she becomes dead. Whenever they found a man with beard, they did same. They put used to throw hand grenade in the grocery stores who had picture of Imam Khomaini on the wall.

Do you want to know what they did for torturing religious people? Search it online. I can't tell you here. I just tell you that even an animal won't do that to human beings.

How many people did Mojahedin Khalgh kill? In a report within themselves, they declared that they killed 400 people in one month of the year in one city. This process continued from the beginning. Mojahedin Khalgh group started killing people from 1981-1988. For 7 years they killed religious people and Iran politicians. Mojahedin Khalgh killed Iran president of the time, Mr. Rajaee. Mojahedin Khalgh killed good Iran politicians like Mr. Beheshti. They bombed the location of Ayatollah Khamenei's speech, and Ayatollah Khamenei lost his right hand. Mojahedin Khalgh didn't kill politicians only. As I said before, they killed normal people as well. In fact, more than 90% of their victims were normal religious people on streets who didn't have any connection with politics. Their only sin was being religious and suppotive of IRI.

In every operation of Mojahedin Khalgh group, Iran police forces prisoned some of them. Every time police freed some of them, they killed and tortured more. It was in point that police officers and politicians came to Imam Khomeini and asked him what they should do towards Mojahedin Khalgh in prisons because they are very dangerous(they are 1988 ISIS). Imam Khomaini said:" Whoever promises not to kill people and make trouble for IRI, free him/her". Finally police officers said to those who were prisoned:" IF YOU WRITE DOWN ON PAPER THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BELIEF IN ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN, BUT YOU ALSO DON'T FIGHT AGAINST THE COUNTRY, YOU WILL BE FREE". This is the minimum thing to free a person. Yes brother, those who were executed were among those Mojahedin Khalgh group that didn't write that down. The reason the police did that was because every time police freed some of them, they again killed and tortured innocent men/women. After 7 years of killing people, police decided to do that. They had no choice. Those who wrote it down on the paper, started killing people right after going out of prison. Mojahedin Khalgh went from Iran to Iraq, and then they decided to attack Iran. Remember Iran was already in war with Iraq in that time. Imagine how much trouble Iran was struggling with. Anyway, Mojahedin Khalgh attacked Iran, but Iranian forces killed them all in that war. Guess what! Almost half of the Mojahedin Khalgh who were killed in the war were those people who wrote down that paper and signed it. Yes brother, that was a minimum thing to free a person, but those cruel people acted against their promises.

This video is about "Mersad Operation" that Iran killed them all in that war.

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover

11 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

It was neccesarry from a political perspective 

From a religious perspective it was unjustified IMHO 

Imam Ali didn't kill captives after Jamal or nahrawan in this indiscriminate manner 

Ayatollah Khomeini didn't kill or execute any POW'z from the iraqi military either. Terrorists and murderers and assasins are different than Soldiers. 

Would be an idea to to brush up on history and different scenarios.  

Imam Ali also told his soldiers to continue fighting after muawiya was close to be defeated, when they put quran on spears. Every scenario is different. Just wishy washing everything with portraying The prophet and Imam Ali as commanders that would forgive and forget all fitnah mongers, criminals, murderers and savages is misleading at worst and naive at best.

• Veteran Member

While I am not an expert on Islamic Law on the matter, and I think there's a lot of missing information on the issue since there isn't much of an official acknowledgement about the incident about the Iranian government and a lack of detail, one thing we should remember is that there is a difference between an individual who is caught in a war - maybe because he surrendered during the fight - and someone caught after carrying out a terrorist attack.

Such actions did not generally exist in the time of the Prophet (maybe assassinations but certainly not the kind of suicide bombings we see nowadays) and, thus, we can't necessarily impose law about prisoners of wars to the way the term prisoner is used today. Though, I suppose it does raise interesting fiqhi questions about the proper treatment of captured terrorists in Islamic law. I hope the more knowledgeable among us could shed some light on the issue and share the relevant fatawa here.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, repenter said:

Ayatollah Khomeini didn't kill or execute any POW'z from the iraqi military either. Terrorists and murderers and assasins are different than Soldiers. 

Would be an idea to to brush up on history and different scenarios.  

Imam Ali also told his soldiers to continue fighting after muawiya was close to be defeated, when they put quran on spears. Every scenario is different. Just wishy washing everything with portraying The prophet and Imam Ali as commanders that would forgive and forget all fitnah mongers, criminals, murderers and savages is misleading at worst and naive at best.

You can believe whatever fiction you want 

But the clear precedents are available in our history and 1988 executions don't fit into any of that category 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

You can believe whatever fiction you want 

But the clear precedents are available in our history and 1988 executions don't fit into any of that category 

Salam a group of POW also joined Iranian Army against Saddam (la)  as Badriyoun  

he Badr Organization (Arabic: منظمة بدر Munaẓẓama Badr), previously known as the Badr Brigades or Badr Corps, is an Iraqipolitical party headed by Hadi Al-Amiri. The Badr Brigade was the Iran-officered military wing of the Iran-based Shia Islamic party, Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), formed in 1982. Since the 2003 invasion of Iraq most of Badr's fighters have entered the new Iraqi army and police force. Politically, Badr Brigade and SCIRI were considered to be one party since 2003, but have now unofficially separated[3] with the Badr Organization now an official Iraqi political party. Badr Brigade forces, and their Iranian commanders, have come to prominence in 2014 fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Iraq.[4] It is a part of the 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badr_Organization

Shahid Sadr Battalion

Before the operation of Jerusalem in 61, which led to the release of Khorramshahr, Iraqi MKO volunteered to engage in specialized activities such as technical technicians, as Iraqi prisoner translators, and the interception of Baathist wireless conversations in some units. According to Mohsen Rezaee, the Chief of the Revolutionary Guard in the Holy Defense, after the release of Khorramshahr, it was decided to organize the brigade using Iraqi forces to contribute to the advance of Iraqi territory and to enter the Iraqi cities and villages, and then For some time, they will be able to become independent and return to Iraq and work to fulfill their aspirations to overthrow the Ba'athist regime of Saddam.

Mujahideen and Ahrar

The forces of this unit were two groups. The first was the Mujahideen who initially formed the Brigade. This category also included two groups. A group of troops comprised of Iraqi officers, officers and soldiers which refugees in the early days of the war, who were faithful and with a significant military aspect. The second group was the popular forces most of whom had high education (student and graduate, etc.) and had a good political insight. The second group, Ahrar or Tawab, was captured by Iranian warriors during the war. The Iranian warriors, especially the martyr Ismail Daghaeghi, identified those who were compelled to fight and spoke with each one of them for a while, and the Iraqis subsequently entered the Badr unit and named Ahrar.

http://maarefjang.ir/contentviewed.aspx?id=4181&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Image result for â«Ø¨Ø¯Ø±ÛÙ٠عراÙÛâ¬â

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadi_Al-Amiri

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Veteran Member

brother

I think you are mistaking my criticism as somehow defending the MOK or their activities, I'm just saying sometimes decisions need to be taken with political consideration and given the unique circumstances on 1988 may not have a religious precedent and we should not try to defend every action of a fallible regime by seeking religious justification

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, alidu78 said:

Fact is that they were not "political prisonners" but terrorists and traitors. 

The number of executed is unknown. Estimantes vary between a couple of thousand to 30.000. Giving that many a fair trial woulf take years, so the Iranian leaders had to make a political descicion to this massacre. Opposition could not be tolerated. It still is not in Iran. 

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, andres said:

The number of executed is unknown. Estimantes vary between a couple of thousand to 30.000. Giving that many a fair trial woulf take years, so the Iranian leaders had to make a political descicion to this massacre. Opposition could not be tolerated. It still is not in Iran. 

Many of them repented from their action & pardoned even they did behave like when they were in Iran even Swedish Democratic Government would do same action toward them as like as Iran.

1 hour ago, andres said:

Did you just read my comment where I said that they were not political opponents but terrorists? 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Many of them repented from their action & pardoned even they did behave like when they were in Iran even Swedish Democratic Government would do same action toward them as like as Iran.

A threat of being executed if you do not change your view, will probably make many silent. But I doubt vary many of the executed were given this choise. Iranian leaders felt executions was necessary as a warning to the Iranian people, to protect the Islamic constitution. 

Being in opposition to the government means you wish another government. This is not a crime in Sweden. Nor do we practice death penalty. 

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

Did you just read my comment where I said that they were not political opponents but terrorists? 

Yes, that the west say they were. And you say they were terrorists. Have you got an idea of how many were executed? Their names, how long the trials lasted and where they were buried?

Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 178:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِصَاصُ فِي الْقَتْلَى الْحُرُّ بِالْحُرِّ وَالْعَبْدُ بِالْعَبْدِ وَالْأُنثَىٰ بِالْأُنثَىٰ فَمَنْ عُفِيَ لَهُ مِنْ أَخِيهِ شَيْءٌ فَاتِّبَاعٌ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَأَدَاءٌ إِلَيْهِ بِإِحْسَانٍ ذَٰلِكَ تَخْفِيفٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَرَحْمَةٌ فَمَنِ اعْتَدَىٰ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ فَلَهُ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ

O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.
(English - Shakir)

14 minutes ago, andres said:

Yes, that the west say they were. And you say they were terrorists. Have you got an idea of how many were executed? Their names, how long the trials lasted and where they were buried?

Few thousands but honnestly we don't care about the number and of course they were terrorist there is no need of debate about that. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, andres said:

Being in opposition to the government means you wish another government. This is not a crime in Sweden. Nor do we practice death penalty. 

They weren't an opposition against government ,they were like ISIS Suicide bombers in Europe if you exclude wahhabi ideology from an ISIS fighter a Marxist will remain from him which MKO terrorists were as like as ruthless Marxists of Red Brigade.