Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Asalaam Alaykum dear SC members,

I have what it is called intrusive thoughts (or vasvas). From the day I wake up until the night time I suffer from negative thoughts which is affecting my studies and relationship. Most times these thoughts are bothering me and as a result of this I lose my valuable time thinking all the time. At theend of day I get mentally exhausted. Even right now whilst I am typing this the thoughts arent stopping and is bothering me all the time. I feel like I am not myself as if I am outside of my body. I have had therapy and meds in the past and now I dont. The therapy did work for me to some extend, but why dont I get better? Especially that I am now married (not living together yet) it scares me. What if I cant handle my responsibilities in the future as a wife?

Has anyone had this experience? Did you get better and yes how?

Thanks in advance.

Sara

Salam, Few points here, 

1) Your thoughts are not you. 

Thoughts that you have are a result of activity in your brain, your brain is not you. Your brain is a tool that was given to you by Allah(s.w.a) to help you survive and prosper in this world. In this way, it is like a car or a hammer, but much more sophisticated. The waswas is the Shaitan using your brain to attack you. He uses the same rational processes that you need to get thru life, but he twists them around inside your head so that you start to think irrationally, i.e. disregard your aql, and then you are in trouble.

You need to find a way to step outside of your thoughts and your brain. Medication usually isn't effective because it only temporarily delays the thoughts, it doesn't get rid of them. There are lots of ways to 'step outside your brain and outside your thoughts'. You have to find the one that works for you. All these require concentration and being in a situation where you are not constantly distracted.  Some common ones are 

1) Dhikr. Repeating the name of Allah(s.w.a) over and over again. You can pick one name, like Al Rahman, for example and repeat it over and over without letting other thoughts get into your mind. If you can repeat it 1000 times without letting other thoughts into your head you have achieved something. This is, of course the ideal way to get rid of waswas, and it is free and open to everyone. 

2) Concentration exercises. Pick a spot on the floor or the wall and just focus on it without letting other thoughts intrude. See how long you can stare at it without thinking about anything else. 

I'm sure there are others brothers and sisters can suggest. 

Salam,

If this is waswas, then it is syaitan that penetrates your brain.  This is normal for human beings.  Then you need to declare a war  to these syaitans that are bothering you.

How to fight? Read from your heart:

1.  Aauuzibillahi minasyaitani rajeem 3X

2. Bismillahi rahmani rahiim,

3. Read Shahadah one time,

4. Read Salawat as many as you can... direct the salawat to area of your brain or where the waswas is originated.  Read until the waswas is slowly disappear. 

Repeat when the waswas re-appear.  Syaitans are limited in number.  Your declared war on syaitans that bothering your thoughts is a jihad that you cannot give up or defeated.

Why reading 1,2,3,4?

Reading #1... a declaration that you depend solely on Allah swt to fight syaitans.

Reading #2...the presence of NAMES of Allah swt in you that will make things happen. In reality, Allah swt is the One that has the power to make things happen through His Names. We call His Names.

Read #3... Sahadah is strongest protection from attacks or retaliations of syaitans if they fight back.  It is like a shield. If you add shahadah with Aliyun waliyullah.  That is an ultimate sheild.

Read #4..Salawat is the weapon of choice to slice the syaitans.  Literally, each salawat you read will turn into a sword when it is directed to syaitans. It is a sword with a laser beam that will penetrate syaitans.  Cannot kill the syaitans, but enough to injure them.

Try it.  If it works, send more Salawats to Prophets and Ahlulbayts... the Salawat will turns into  beautiful flowers and smell like roses.

If you send salawat to a friend...it will turns into light that will cool his/her heart.

It is only works for those who believe and understand.

Layman.

@Saraharvey W. Salam

I have your same issues.i feel so exhausted and tired all the time that i don't even wanna get out of the bed.This is Anxiety.

When ever you have negative thoughts just think about the worst thing that can happen... according to me, the worst thing that can happen to a living human being that can end everything is dying. So Everytime your mind thinks about turning every situation negative you think that maximum you will die.and that will be the end of everything. Everyone has to die so forcing your mind to think about death might control your negative thinking and give you peace. 

And another thing you can do is exercise. Do not sit with hands in hands. Always have something to do and if you don't go running you can start exercising at home.keep moving.Find new hobbies. I know this is extremely difficult because in the state you are you don't wanna do anything but you have to force yourself against your condition.Do not leave your mind/brain empty as they said an empty brain is a house for the devil.

And remember your mind can only think...and not do anything.it doesn't has the power to do anything. You control your body. Your entire self.Seek help in Prayers/Salah.

Read Quran Translation whenever you can and try to understand what you read, it will heal you Inshallah.

You are not incurable.and i am sure with your husband by your side you are going to be an excellent wife Inshallah. You will take care of yourself,your husband and even your house. You have to prove your mind wrong and be strong.

You have to believe in yourself. You deserve to be happy and live a normal life and you will inshallah. 

And if after trying everything you see that your situation is not changing you can always go back on medication. Taking some meds to feel fine is more then okay and you don't have to believe yourself to be sick. There are millions of people in this world going on with your same situation.

So the best thing you can do is : Always have something to do. Keep yourself busy.

On 23-4-2018 at 10:16 PM, Abu Hadi said:

Salam, Few points here, 

1) Your thoughts are not you. 

Thoughts that you have are a result of activity in your brain, your brain is not you. Your brain is a tool that was given to you by Allah(s.w.a) to help you survive and prosper in this world. In this way, it is like a car or a hammer, but much more sophisticated. The waswas is the Shaitan using your brain to attack you. He uses the same rational processes that you need to get thru life, but he twists them around inside your head so that you start to think irrationally, i.e. disregard your aql, and then you are in trouble.

You need to find a way to step outside of your thoughts and your brain. Medication usually isn't effective because it only temporarily delays the thoughts, it doesn't get rid of them. There are lots of ways to 'step outside your brain and outside your thoughts'. You have to find the one that works for you. All these require concentration and being in a situation where you are not constantly distracted.  Some common ones are 

1) Dhikr. Repeating the name of Allah(s.w.a) over and over again. You can pick one name, like Al Rahman, for example and repeat it over and over without letting other thoughts get into your mind. If you can repeat it 1000 times without letting other thoughts into your head you have achieved something. This is, of course the ideal way to get rid of waswas, and it is free and open to everyone. 

2) Concentration exercises. Pick a spot on the floor or the wall and just focus on it without letting other thoughts intrude. See how long you can stare at it without thinking about anything else. 

I'm sure there are others brothers and sisters can suggest. 

thank you brother.

sara

On 24-4-2018 at 6:59 AM, Ani said:

@Saraharvey W. Salam

I have your same issues.i feel so exhausted and tired all the time that i don't even wanna get out of the bed.This is Anxiety.

When ever you have negative thoughts just think about the worst thing that can happen... according to me, the worst thing that can happen to a living human being that can end everything is dying. So Everytime your mind thinks about turning every situation negative you think that maximum you will die.and that will be the end of everything. Everyone has to die so forcing your mind to think about death might control your negative thinking and give you peace. 

And another thing you can do is exercise. Do not sit with hands in hands. Always have something to do and if you don't go running you can start exercising at home.keep moving.Find new hobbies. I know this is extremely difficult because in the state you are you don't wanna do anything but you have to force yourself against your condition.Do not leave your mind/brain empty as they said an empty brain is a house for the devil.

And remember your mind can only think...and not do anything.it doesn't has the power to do anything. You control your body. Your entire self.Seek help in Prayers/Salah.

Read Quran Translation whenever you can and try to understand what you read, it will heal you Inshallah.

You are not incurable.and i am sure with your husband by your side you are going to be an excellent wife Inshallah. You will take care of yourself,your husband and even your house. You have to prove your mind wrong and be strong.

You have to believe in yourself. You deserve to be happy and live a normal life and you will inshallah. 

And if after trying everything you see that your situation is not changing you can always go back on medication. Taking some meds to feel fine is more then okay and you don't have to believe yourself to be sick. There are millions of people in this world going on with your same situation.

So the best thing you can do is : Always have something to do. Keep yourself busy.

Thank you

On 24-4-2018 at 8:47 AM, shadow_of_light said:

Your ocd is severe. You need to take medications.

Please, study the link below:

https://www.ocduk.org/four-steps

I dont think my OCD is severe because Alhamdullilah just perform well in my daily life. It is just that these thoughts keep coming and bothering me. Its making me insecure maybe this is because of my past. I have experienced bullying and the thoughts has stayed with me since. 

On 24-4-2018 at 8:54 AM, shadow_of_light said:

What are your thoughts? Can you explain more? Are you afraid of something? If yes, do you do anything to prevent that thing which makes you worried/ anxious?

Most times I think I am less than other people and that I am not strong enough.  

4 minutes ago, Saraharvey said:

Most times I think I am less than other people and that I am not strong enough.  

If you feel this way it's surely the fault of people who are around you who make you feel like this. Stop giving value to what other people say or think about you.Be Careless.thats the only way to survive in this cruel society.

Certainly, Allah has not created you aimlessly nor left you as useless - Imam Ali AS

And if a greater being like Imam Ali A.S. said that believe me that it is the truth.

And Comparisons are always unfair. We typically compare the worst we know of ourselves to the best we presume about others.

You are very important , you only have to believe it. Think about all the things you have or you can do. But it's better to be humble than arrogant.