Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Greenflag

Not allowed to eat

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, forte said:

Really disagree here.  This is not about mom.  Walking on eggshells around someone like that (Mom) to try and curb their behaviours toward you is not usually effective; in fact, it often encourages the very behaviour you want extinguished.   And, it is a big enough job to try to develop individual strategies to cope with OCD.   At this time, Mom is  a clear bonafide part of these OCD cycles, given, at the very least, her reaction to the OP and then the OP's consequent reaction to her mom.  To encourage (which is what "make her life easier" does) Mom's dysfunctional part of the OCD cycle can self defeat the OP's efforts to reduce the impact of this disorder on her own life.  Also, Mom threatening and refusing food is pathologically controlling.  Absolutely no need to soft peddle that. Keep it real.  It is best for the OP to recognize and acknowledge Mom's behaviour  for what it is as it relates to her (the OP), and then compartmentalize it.  The OP then needs to try and separate from Mom's behaviours (not engage them) and take care of her own symptoms (without this toxic punitive baggage) into the future.  

My post above was my response to a teenage girl's horrible situation. If she tries to make the situation better with her Mother, then her last few weeks or months at home will be less stressful. When a parent or guardian withholds food from a child, the next step is probably going to be physical punishment. Why should the OP make her homelife worse by doing or saying something that will cause her Mother to punish and harm her more? She should try to tolerate her Mother until she can get out of there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Why should the OP make her homelife worse by doing or saying something that will cause her Mother to punish and harm her more? She should try to tolerate her Mother until she can get out of there. 

The problem is that she suffers from OCD, something that is not her fault and her mother is starving her,. it's abuse. It's not a matter of tolerance but a matter of safety and well-being. I have no idea how old the sister is or where she lives but this is something that APS and CPS deal with everyday.  I respect you a lot but this is not the way to handle the situation, there is no excuse for her mother's behavior period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

My post above was my response to a teenage girl's horrible situation. If she tries to make the situation better with her Mother, then her last few weeks or months at home will be less stressful. When a parent or guardian withholds food from a child, the next step is probably going to be physical punishment. Why should the OP make her homelife worse by doing or saying something that will cause her Mother to punish and harm her more? She should try to tolerate her Mother until she can get out of there. 

The mom could possibly be upset that the girl is leaving as she is her stress release.  Who knows why she is upset and behaving in a way that sounds like a kind of BPD but it is not for someone who is struggling so much internally to have to deal with.  Making nice does not usually improve the situation.  The girl needs to gain control of her life and her reactions to life and relinquishing control to an unstable person is not the way to go.  She has to gain some strength and be able to separate herself from someone else's crazy making.  You are assuming the mom is just a little out of sorts.  Starving her child and potentially causing her harm is way out of that ballpark.  My immediate thought was that the mom is going to manipulate her into staying.  The girl needs to take control of her life, and she needs to do it now.  She needs to recognize her mothers behaviour for what it is, understand that she is NOT responsible for it and view things in a much healthier environment.  When she is with her mother she has to create that environment for herself.  i think I echo a few posters in that we tend to minimize oft heard phrases that are passed around for fun.  However, OCD is a serious disorder.  

Edited by forte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, forte said:

My immediate thought was that the mom is going to manipulate her into staying.  The girl needs to take control of her life, and she needs to do it now.  She needs to recognize her mothers behaviour for what it is, understand that she is NOT responsible for it and view things in a much healthier environment.  When she is with her mother she has to create that environment for herself.  i think I echo a few posters in that we tend to minimize oft heard phrases that are passed around for fun.  However, OCD is a serious disorder.  

It is possible that at the last moment her Mother will stop her from leaving to go to university, so that is another reason why the OP should be careful about what she says and does around her Mom. Verbal abuse by a parent or guardian is very harmful to a child, but if the child provokes the abuser to get physically abusive, the situation will escalate. 

50 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

The problem is that she suffers from OCD, something that is not her fault and her mother is starving her,. it's abuse. It's not a matter of tolerance but a matter of safety and well-being. I have no idea how old the sister is or where she lives but this is something that APS and CPS deal with everyday.  I respect you a lot but this is not the way to handle the situation, there is no excuse for her mother's behavior period.

Thanks for respecting my opinion, Brother. Of course the Mother is at fault, but the OP (18 year old? girl) waited too long to involve APS and CPS. She has a plan to leave home and go to the university, so she should focus on her future, not on the past. Of course if something dangerous occurs before she leaves, she should get out of the home as soon as possible, and call the authorities only after escaping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

OP's living situation:

"Do you feel manipulated, controlled, or lied to? Are you the focus of intense, violent, and irrational rages? Do you feel as though you are constantly trying to avoid confrontation?"

The quote on the first line above is some of what it is like to live with someone who demonstrates Borderline Personalty attributes (there are a few different 'flavours').  The more you give in, the more challenging their behaviour gets as you are emotionally bled dry and your own basic functioning becomes a sought after dream.  That is, their behaviours become increasingly controlling to the point where you doubt your own sanity and often develop your own acquired disorders. The person with BPD just spirals out of control and the person living with them who tries to "calm" them just gets sucked into their vortex. Not helpful for either party.

Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004DNXGFQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1  An oldie but a goodie.

This is an easy to read, very straight forward lay person's book to and will really help with people who have to live with people who have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and those who haven't been diagnosed but definitely could pass the smell test (talking about mom here) or partially share some of the symptoms.  It gives you guidance as to what to do. That is, how to view your situation, how to react to it and sometimes even what scripts to say if needed.  And it works.  It gives you the confidence and emotional "permission" to react to these controlling and attention seeking behaviours in a way that is most healthy for yourself and for your loved one. You can flip through the book and find the situation you are experiencing and it gives step by step guidance.  And no, I am not getting royalties!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

The problem is that she suffers from OCD, something that is not her fault and her mother is starving her,. it's abuse. It's not a matter of tolerance but a matter of safety and well-being. I have no idea how old the sister is or where she lives but this is something that APS and CPS deal with everyday.  I respect you a lot but this is not the way to handle the situation, there is no excuse for her mother's behavior period.

Brother, would you casually just call CPS to come save you from your mother? They may be a pain, and it may be more than just a little, but remember that this is the same woman who nurtured and cared for you while you were still a young baby. Our respect for them needs to always be attained, as @Hameedeh said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

It is possible that at the last moment her Mother will stop her from leaving to go to university, so that is another reason why the OP should be careful about what she says and does around her Mom. Verbal abuse by a parent or guardian is very harmful to a child, but if the child provokes the abuser to get physically abusive, the situation will escalate. 

Thanks for respecting my opinion, Brother. Of course the Mother is at fault, but the OP (18 year old? girl) waited too long to involve APS and CPS. She has a plan to leave home and go to the university, so she should focus on her future, not on the past. Of course if something dangerous occurs before she leaves, she should get out of the home as soon as possible, and call the authorities only after escaping. 

She is perfectly qualified to receive help from APS (Adult protective services), or whatever the equivalent is the UK as an adult. She may not qualify for child protective services but it is wrong to assume that she waited too long It is anonymous and has a hotline of people more qualified to help  her than we can. Remember, she needs to contact authorities during  the  escape, not after the escape, if things go south. This isn't something she can wait out, her mother could definitely affect her ability to focus on her future As brother @forte said, she needs to control of the situation, most abusers  are not rational people. Being nice is just telling them: "Ok, you can all walk over me. I'm submissive and afraid of you"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging from the OP's posts (even the ones last year), she does have very troublesome parents. 

No matter how much Islam promotes obidence to our parents, that doesn't in anyway imply tolerating abuse.

The OP should have a discussion with her parents about how they're affecting her mental and physical health. If her parents are not willing to change, then she needs to call authorities 

Parenting is a big responsibility and parents need to realize that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hussaini624 said:

Brother, would you casually just call CPS to come save you from your mother? They may be a pain, and it may be more than just a little, but remember that this is the same woman who nurtured and cared for you while you were still a young baby. Our respect for them needs to always be attained, as @Hameedeh said.

A mother is supposed to be a figure who gives us undying and unconditional love, annoy us every now and then and guide us to become better and stronger people in this life and the Afterlife. She is supposed to be empathetic and understanding, I don't see it in the OP's situation

Mothers do not or should not starve you or constantly yell at you for something you have no control over. (OCD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hussaini624 said:

Our respect for them needs to always be attained

Yeah you're right but you have to define what respect really means. No one is telling the OP to start abusing her parents, cursing etc. Being Respectful doesn't mean to accept abuse and to not stand up for justice

This is about the OP's health and well being. Even if you see her posts from last year, her parents have mentally abused her. Parents have a special position in the Quran, but this doesn't mean that they are always perfect and like angels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@forte Thank you for the book recommendation on BPD. However, we don't know her Mother and that lady could have PTSD or something else. Clearly, she is not treating her daughter properly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

@forte Thank you for the book recommendation on BPD. However, we don't know her Mother and that lady could have PTSD or something else. Clearly, she is not treating her daughter properly.  

You are most welcome!

My apologies, perhaps I was not very clear as I wrote that very fast while working.

The strategies outlined in the book are to deal with symptoms of BPD or other disorders or issues that demonstrate similar presentations.  That would include a number of disorders including, as you mentioned, PTSD, as well as destructive mood disorder swings, etc.  They are kind, caring, and easy to implement.  These strategies are taught to family members who live with those who have mental health challenges.  They address the behaviours that significantly impact family members.  When one person in a family is afflicted, everyone is adversely affected.  Relationships suffer, communication can be non existent and abusive, controlling behaviours emerge out of desperation. The Walking on Eggshells book explains the individual behaviours and how to address them in clear easy to read terms.  In Canada, this is one publication that is frequently recommended to family members by community mental health teams because it is easy to implement. The information given helps to establish a healthier dynamic in the family, one from which the OP could greatly benefit. 

Edited by forte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 3:00 PM, rkazmi33 said:

I have sympathy for your mom. You are obviously insulting her house keeping skills and you are being ungrateful. 10 pounds is not such a big weight loss and you can obviously get something from outside to eat. If your mom was really cruel, she would make you do all the work at home.

Are you kidding me? Mother is supposed to be forgiving and loving. She needs to understand that this person has OCD. There is nothing wrong with that. If she has miserable life it doesn't mean that she could treat her kids like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...