Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is the extravegance on the shrines necessary?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I know I'm going to get sooo much hate for saying this.

If you've been to the holy shrines in Iraq, ( I haven't visited the ones in Syria and Iran so I wouldn't know) you'd know that they are very very extravagant. It's obvious great amounts of money have been spent on them. 

Thing is, as soon as you pass through security into the haram it's like you're entering another world, it's not like the city outside. The streets of Iraq are full of poverty and destruction . We all know about the children and women who have been orphaned and widowed because of Isis. No doubt, the families of the shohadaa need financial help. 

When you see the shrines and the continuous renovations being made on them, don't you think the money could be better spent elsewhere ? 

Of course, the imams deserve the greatest respect and honour. But surely the imams wouldn't want more and more money being spent on materialistic things (the appearance) instead of helping those in need in a suffering country. Does anyone think the excessive spending on the shrines is justified when there's so much corruption outside? 

• Advanced Member

@IbnSina I didn't mean that they shouldn't spend the money, just that instead of repeatedly renovating (not keeping it clean, that's different) the money that's available would be contributed to the orphans and widows. It has been said over and over, poverty and lack of belonging turns people to terrorist groups like Isis. So, the money that would instead be used on renovating could be spent by giving charity to those in need. This would be considered amr bil maaroof (charity in this situation) and nahi an al monkar (ensuring people don't need to turn to terrorism to feel in control or their lives, and have a sense of belonging). 

• Veteran Member

I was reading about Mother Teresa and this is what I found on Wikipedia. 

This returns us to the medieval corruption of the church, which sold indulgences to the rich while preaching hellfire and continence to the poor. [Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."[120]

This idea that people of this world have to go through certain amount of pain is found in many religions. Many cultures believe that it's better if few people give big sacrifices and majority of people remain comfortable. In the past, people had traditions of giving yearly sacrifices of young girls because they believed it would stop bigger disasters. Now societies also select few people for sacrifice every year,  they have just developed more subtle and complicated methods. 

Edited by rkazmi33