Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Reason For Marriage of Umm Kulthum to Umar

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl11Ckn7j4g

Does anyone know the exact reference to the  statements of sheikh yasser habib where he states that imam ali married umm kulthum to umar to guide him and make him a better person. Also if this is true, then how do we reconcile the fact that in authentic ahadith it states that the marriage was forced.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

Does anyone know the exact reference to the  statements of sheikh yasser habib where he states that imam ali married umm kulthum to umar to guide him and make him a better person. Also if this is true, then how do we reconcile the fact that in authentic ahadith it states that the marriage was forced.

Section 4: Umar’s Marriage to Umm Kulthum in Shiite Narrations

Section 4: Umar’s Marriage to Umm Kulthum in Shiite Narrations1

As we was mentioned while raising a question regarding Umm Kulthum‘s marriage to Umar ibn Khattab, the story is famous and well- known among Sunni Muslims and the narrations regarding this marriage have also been reported in the books authored by Shia scholars. However, in spite of this story being well-known among Sunni Muslims and the fact that it has also been reported in some Shiite sources, some of our scholars have rejected the story on the ground that it is not true and genuine. If one goes through Shiite sources, he will see the rejection and refutation in the works authored by Sheikh Mufid, Sayyid Murtadha and Sayyid Nasir Hussain, the son of the author of Abaqat Al-Anwar (may Allah bless him) – and in the works by other figures who have engaged in the analysis and evaluation of this very subject matter.

Here we reiterate that the narrations reported by reliable Shiite narrators indicate and reveal what we have already stated in our answer to the forgoing question. In this respect, we quoted Nawbakhti, one of the Shiite scholars, and also Zarqani, a Sunnite scholar. Now we shall mention and elaborate on the narrations reported by Shiite sources through reliable chains of transmission.2

The first tradition

Imam Ja‘far Sadiq (S.A) has been reported as having said concerning the marriage of Umm Kulthum:

إن ذلك فرج غصبناه

“That this was the farj that was usurped from us.”

The second tradition

It has been narrated in another narration that Imam Sadiq (a.s.) said:

لما خطب اليه قال له أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام: إنها صبية.

قال : فلقي العباس فقال له: ما لي؟ ابي بأس؟

قال: وما ذاك؟

قال: خطبت إلى ابن اخيك فردني اما والله! لأعورن زمزم ولا ادع لكم مكرمة إلا هدمتها ولأقيمن عليه شاهدين بأنه سرق ولأقتعن يمينه.

فأته العباس وسأله ان يجعل الأمر اليه فجعله اليه.

‘When Umar came to make the marriage proposal, the Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.) told him: She is a young girl.

Thereupon, Umar met Abbas and told him: What is wrong with me? Do I have any defect?‖

Abbas said: Why are you saying that?

Umar said: ―I asked your nephew for his daughter‘s hand in marriage, but he has turned me down. I swear by Allah! I will fill the well of Zamzam with earth, I will destroy every honor that you have, and I will set up two witnesses to testify that he stole, that I may cut off his right hand.‘ Abbas thereupon came to Ali and informed him of what had transpired. He asked Ali to put the matter in his hands, and Ali complied.’3

The third tradition

In another narration reported from Sulaiman ibn Khalid and others, Sulaiman has been quoted as having said: I asked Imam Sadiq (a.s.) as to where a lady whose husband had died should pass her Iddah (waiting) period4. Was it necessary for her to pass the period in her husband‘s house or wherever she wanted?

The Imam (a.s.) said: Yes, she can pass her waiting period wherever she would like to.‖ Then he said:

إن عليا عليه السلام لما مات عمر أتى أم كلثوم فأخذ بيدها فأنطلق بها إلى بيته.

When Umar died, Ali (a.s.) went to Umm Kulthum, got hold of her hand and brought her to his house.5

In view of the above details and assuming that the narrations are true and authentic, we say: ―The opponents cannot use these narrations to base their arguments and prove their side of the story or to make us accept anything in this regard. This is because the utmost conclusion that can be drawn from these narrations is that the marriage contract took place under threat and intimidating promises. It was only after these threats that Umm Kulthum went to Umar‘s house. When Umar was killed, the Imam (a.s.) went to Umm Kulthum and took her to his house.

On the other hand, perhaps this saying of Imam Ja‘far Sadiq (a.s.) i.e., Ali (a.s.) held her hand and took her to his house is a proof of what some scholars have stated that Umar died before Umm Kulthum attained the age of puberty.

Therefore, what merit does this proposal and the imposed marriage which was characterized by threat and intimidation does it earn Umar? What defect and flaw does such a proposal and marriage exact on the Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.) and the Household of the Prophet, peace be upon them? Can such a marriage be an indication of the two sides being sincere friends of each other?

When Umar threatens the Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.), in the manner demonstrated by the narrations, to usurp and get this girl, how may his threats have been for usurping the caliphate which forcibly silenced the Commander of the Faithful (a.s.) and his followers compelling them to pay allegiance to him?! In fact, we can say that this usurpation was meant to eliminate the effects of that usurpation.

Indeed, Hajjaj ibn Yusuf Thaqafi learnt this same method from Umar as evidenced by this historical narration: Muhammad ibn Idris Shafe‘i (d.) says: When Hajjaj ibn Yusuf married the daughter of Abdullah ibn Ja‘far, Khalid ibn Yazid ibn Muawiyah told Abdul Malik ibn Marwan:
Did you leave Hajjaj to marry the daughter of Abdullah ibn Ja‘far?‖ He said: Yes, what is wrong with it?

Khalid said: By Allah, this is the worst shame.‖ Abdul Malik asked: How is that?

Khalid said: I swear by Allah! O Commander of the Faithful, ever since I married Ramlah, the daughter of Zubair, the enmity I had in my heart toward Zubair, has perished. Khalid goes on saying: It seems Abdul Malik was asleep and I woke him up with these words of mine. Then and there he wrote a letter to Hajjaj making him to divorce Abdullah‘s daughter. Hajjaj complied with Abdul Malik‘s order and divorced her.6

Final word concerning the marriage of Umm Kulthum

Considering the investigation and research conducted in regard to Umm Kulthum‘s marriage, a question that does arise is: Whom did Umm Kulthum marry finally? In answer to this question, we must say that it was clarified earlier that, based on the saying of Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.), he had kept his daughters for the sons of his brother, Ja‘far. In fact, this was done by the order of the Messenger of Allah (S) because one day the holy Prophet (S) looked at Ali‘s and Ja‘far‘s children whereupon the Prophet (S) said:

بناتنا لبنينا وبنونا لبناتنا

“Our daughters are for our sons and our sons are for our daughters”.7

However, when it comes to Umm Kulthum, there is a narration which says: Umar asked Ali for Umm Kulthum‘s hand in marriage. Ali (AS) made the excuse that she was too young and he further said that he had kept her for the son of his brother, Ja‘far…8

Likewise it is seen in this narration that the Imam (a.s.) did not specify which son of Ja‘far he had kept his daughter for, but we know that he meant either Awn or Muhammad. This is because, as mentioned earlier, the Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.) had married his daughter Zainab (a.s.) to Abdullah, who was the eldest of his brothers.

Among the Sunni scholars, whose opinions and reports we are discussing in this book, there is no difference as to the fact that Awn was killed in the battle of Shushtar, during the reign of Umar‘s caliphate. Hence, based on the aforementioned narrations which we assume to be authentic, Umm Kulthum was married to Umar during this time.

When it comes to Muhammad, ibn Ja‘far, Ibn Hajar comments as such:

Abu Umar has narrated from Waqidi that Muhammad‘s nickname was Abul Qasim. He married Umm Kulthum after Umar‘s death. He further says: Muhammad was martyred in the battle of Shushtar.

It has been said that Muhammad lived until the time of Imam Ali (a.s.) and was in the company of the Commander of the Faithful, Ali (a.s.) during the battle of Siffin.

In his Al-Ikhwah, Dar Qutni writes: It is said that Muhammad was martyred in the battle of Siffin. In this battle, he fought with Ubaidullah ibn Umar ibn Khattab and they fought each other to their death.

In this respect, Marzbani too writes in Mu‟jam Al-Shuara: Muhammad ibn Ja‘far and Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr were in Egypt. When Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr was killed, Muhammad went into hiding. A person from the clan of Ak and the tribe of Ghafiq advised him to leave Egypt and he fled there for Palestine where he went to one of maternal uncles from Khath‘am clan. He saved Muhammad from Muawiyah‘s mischief. Later on, Muhammad composed a poem describing this incident.

He further writes: ―This has been proven and it rejects Waqidi who said that Muhammad was martyred in the battle of Shushtar.9

So, the person who married Umm Kulthum, after Umar‘s death, based on the foregoing supposition, is Muhammad ibn Ja‘far and, as was stated earlier, Ibn Abd al-Barr has confirmed this. Concerning Abdullah too, it is necessary to know that he is likely to have married Umm Kulthum after the death of his wife Zainab (S.A). That is because according to Ibn Abd al- Barr, Abdullah was alive until the year 80 of the Islamic lunar calendar and he lived for ninety years.

https://www.al-islam.org/critical-assessment-umm-kulthums-marriage-umar-sayyid-ali-al-husayni-al-milani/section-4-umars

• Veteran Member
On 4/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

That's fake news.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

the marriage of umm kulthoom and umar? Brother its in our authentic ahadith

Salam Yaser Habib is not a trustful person ,He declares Queen of England is from Sayeds (progeny of Prophet (pbu)):hahaha:

• Advanced Member

The clip is removed now but if you listen to the ENTIRE clip (and I am not a fan of Yasir Habib btw) I remember he was explaining that if WE WERE TO BELIEVE these traditions are true (because the marriage is said to have taken place in some of our narrations) then even then it's not a problem due to the reasons he lists. However he I'm pretty sure he believes these traditions are not true as there is a LOT of evidence that this was indeed false (namely because there were many personalities named Umm Kulthum, not just Imam Ali A.S's daughter). 

I encourage you all to read the book "The Hidden Treause" by Jaffar Ladak, which is perhaps the ONLY book ever written about Imam Ali A.S and Bibi Faatima S.A's daughter Umm Kulthum S.A, it is an amazing narrative of her life and it is such a tragedy that it is the only book ever written about her. And most importantly it clears up all misconceptions about her and her "supposed" marriage to someone who was instrumental in her mother's death.

Edited by Kirmani

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member
  • Advanced Member
On 4/13/2018 at 5:59 PM, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

This marriage didnot take place as there are variety of reasons to disprove it. One of the biggest reason was that Hazrat umer was murderer of Hazrat Fatima Zahra (عليه السلام) so Allah (عزّ وجلّ) does not guide the unjust as is said by Imam Ali Zainul Abideein that Allah (عزّ وجلّ) does not grant strength to one to repent who has committed grave sin.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Why is it so unplausible to us that 'Ali (a) married his daughter to 'Umar b. al-Khattab? Why do we feel the need to justify it by making up ideas and presenting them as some sort of truths? Notice I am not making any sort of claim; whether she married him or not is not what I'm trying to get at. Besides being caliph, 'Umar was a very prominent Muslim and an extremely well-known administrator. We give credit where it's due. 'Ali (a) stood with 'Umar on an array of issues and had a working relationship with him throughout his life. It is not unimaginable for a father to marry his daughter to someone like 'Umar. Different things entailed a marriage back then and 'Ali (a) more than often put aside the injustices done towards him for the sake of Islam and the general peace of the community. 

Edited by Ibn-e-Muhammad

• Advanced Member

There is a hadith from Imam as-Sadiq (عليه السلام) stating that it was a forced marriage. 

The narrations - which just talk about a girl called 'Umm Kulthoom'- also do not mention if she was Umm Kulthoom bint Ali (sa) or Umm Kulthoom bint Abu Bakr, the elder sister of Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه), and I have verified this personally. The latter is the more likely case, since bint Ali (sa), the younger daughter of Ameer al-Mu'mineen (عليه السلام) from Sayyida Zahra (sa) was too young at the time- practically an infant. Obviously, as her step father, Imam Ali (عليه السلام) would her wali, and it is also natural that he wouldn't want to marry his daughter into a household that had animosity towards him. 

Besides, whether or not the marriage actually happened is itself a matter of dispute within the scholarly circles, as the brothers who have shared the links above have pointed out, because there is a lot of dubious stuff in the narrations that relay the incident. 

Wassalam. 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

Why is it so unplausible to us that 'Ali (a) married his daughter to 'Umar b. al-Khattab? Why do we feel the need to justify it by making up ideas and presenting them as some sort of truths? Notice I am not making any sort of claim; whether she married him or not is not what I'm trying to get at. Besides being caliph, 'Umar was a very prominent Muslim and an extremely well-known administrator. We give credit where it's due. 'Ali (a) stood with 'Umar on an array of issues and had a working relationship with him throughout his life. It is not unimaginable for a father to marry his daughter to someone like 'Umar. Different things entailed a marriage back then and 'Ali (a) more than often put aside the injustices done towards him for the sake of Islam and the general peace of the community. 

I wonder why it seems easy to you Umar was reason of martyrdom of Syeda Fatima Zahra (عليه السلام), he was also the one who supported taking away fadak from Syeda Zahra (عليه السلام). He was one who beseiged house of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) for taking allegiance for Abu Bakr. In the light of these facts, why would Imam Ali (عليه السلام) marry her daughter to one who was his staunch opponent. You read in the Quran that Allah order us to marry believer in marriage but you think Ahlebait would do against it. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

There is a hadith from Imam as-Sadiq (عليه السلام) stating that it was a forced marriage. 

Islamic jurisprudence says forced marriage is null and void. Hence, one could question whether this quote attributed to Imam Sadiq is authentic or not because it is necessary for valid marriage that parties must consent to it free from any pressure.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Borntowitnesstruth said:

Islamic jurisprudence says forced marriage is null and void. Hence, one could question whether this quote attributed to Imam Sadiq is authentic or not because it is necessary for valid marriage that parties must consent to it free from any pressure.

This is among the reasons why I am saying that the details of whatever happened are extremely dubious and shady, the reports mentioning it are all confused and some of the details are even self-contradictory. That's why most of our scholars doubt if the marriage even happened at all. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Borntowitnesstruth said:

I wonder why it seems easy to you Umar was reason of martyrdom of Syeda Fatima Zahra (عليه السلام), he was also the one who supported taking away fadak from Syeda Zahra (عليه السلام). He was one who beseiged house of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) for taking allegiance for Abu Bakr. In the light of these facts, why would Imam Ali (عليه السلام) marry her daughter to one who was his staunch opponent. You read in the Quran that Allah order us to marry believer in marriage but you think Ahlebait would do against it. 

You and I don't know that. 'Umar being the reason for the death of Fatima (a) or him beseiging the house of 'Ali (a) and arresting him falls under the category of opinion, not uncontested truth. Many scholars don't take it to be true. In fact, both of these alleged stories and events were not even part of our early Shi'a discourse.

Fadak was an issue between Fatima (a) and Abu Bakr, not 'Ali (a) and 'Umar. And even if 'Umar supported the caliph at the time, there were lots of other Muslims who did the same - does that mean that 'Ali (a) should have cut contact and/or relations with each and every one of them? Does that make 'Umar and the rest of the Muslims disbelievers? Ali (a) was described by the Prophet (s) as being the father of the community. Fathers selflessly put aside the past problems of their wives and any personal injustices done towards them for the bigger purpose i.e. the growth of their children. It only takes one good look at the lives of all of the Imams (a) to conclude this.

Edited by Ibn-e-Muhammad

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

You and I don't know that. 'Umar being the reason for the death of Fatima (a) or him beseiging the house of 'Ali (a) and arresting him falls under the category of opinion, not uncontested truth. Many scholars don't take it to be true. In fact, both of these alleged stories and events were not even part of our early Shi'a discourse.

Fadak was an issue between Fatima (a) and Abu Bakr, not 'Ali (a) and 'Umar. And even if 'Umar supported the caliph at the time, there were lots of other Muslims who did the same - does that mean that 'Ali (a) should have cut contact and/or relations with each and every one of them? Does that make 'Umar and the rest of the Muslims disbelievers? Ali (a) was described by the Prophet (s) as being the father of the community. Fathers selflessly put aside the past problems of their wives and any personal injustices done towards them for the bigger purpose i.e. the growth of their children. It only takes one good look at the lives of all of the Imams (a) to conclude this.

Fathers are forbidden to ask forgiveness for the disobedient children as was done in the event of Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) and his son. Secondly, you can put excuses for every kind of event except Khilafah which is an uncontested truth. Umer was not a believer that Ali was the first caliph even though it was reiterated by Prophet at various times and even though his capabilities proved his such character. He put aside capability of Imam Ali and supported Abu bakar and afterwards sit himself on pulpit negating Imam Ali's right. Does that make him believer in your sight, I see that he not only eat away right of Imam Ali but was disobedient to Prophet as well when he disputed to give ink and pen to Prophet. Do you have any more excuses to prove him that he was right!

Besides that it is another uncontested truth that Hazrat Fatima (عليه السلام) left this world while she was angry towards both Hazrat Abu Bakar and Hazrat Umer. Why she was angry? May be they both had key hand in her martyrdom or snatching away of Fadak. There appears no other reason. If still you believe Hazrat Umer was innocent, then nothing more can be said to make see the truth.

Edited by Borntowitnesstruth

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Borntowitnesstruth said:

Fathers are forbidden to ask forgiveness for the disobedient children as was done in the event of Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) and his son. Secondly, you can put excuses for every kind of event except Khilafah which is an uncontested truth. Umer was not a believer that Ali was the first caliph even though it was reiterated by Prophet at various times and even though his capabilities proved his such character. He put aside capability of Imam Ali and supported Abu bakar and afterwards sit himself on pulpit negating Imam Ali's right. Does that make him believer in your sight, I see that he not only eat away right of Imam Ali but was disobedient to Prophet as well when he disputed to give ink and pen to Prophet. Do you have any more excuses to prove him that he was right!

In the case of Nuh (a), his son was a disbeliever, not just disobedient. He pretended to have faith, but then chose to not aboard the Ark and split from the believers. This is entirely different from 'Umar. Surely, there were points he acted disobediently and I can see that he carried some of the old traits of his polytheistic forefathers, but this did not make him a disbeliever. He remained within the fold of Islam, and we have to judge him as such.

8 hours ago, Borntowitnesstruth said:

Besides that it is another uncontested truth that Hazrat Fatima (عليه السلام) left this world while she was angry towards both Hazrat Abu Bakar and Hazrat Umer. Why she was angry? May be they both had key hand in her martyrdom or snatching away of Fadak. There appears no other reason. If still you believe Hazrat Umer was innocent, then nothing more can be said to make see the truth.

I never said I believed 'Umar to be innocent. Stop putting words into my mouth. I only refuse to see history with a black and white sectarian lens that turns every single thing into a Sunni vs. Shia battle. 

Fatima (a) left the world angry, 'Ali (a) had bitterness towards the way these companions had acted, but at the end of the day, both Fatima (a) and 'Ali (a) endured patiently and kept working for the cause of Islam. We need to stop making 'Ali (a) out to be someone who loathed all the others. He didn't, and he never did anything to prove such a thing.

• Advanced Member
54 minutes ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

Fatima (a) left the world angry, 'Ali (a) had bitterness towards the way these companions had acted, but at the end of the day, both Fatima (a) and 'Ali (a) endured patiently and kept working for the cause of Islam. We need to stop making 'Ali (a) out to be someone who loathed all the others. He didn't, and he never did anything to prove such a thing.

I have no words for you obstinacy brother. I will not prove myself fool by dragging this topic further as I can see you ran out of material.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Borntowitnesstruth said:

I have no words for you obstinacy brother. I will not prove myself fool by dragging this topic further as I can see you ran out of material.

Interesting. You chose to ignore the first part of my answer, and resorted to calling the rest an obstinacy. Alas, one cannot argue with such narrow mindedness.

Ma'a Salama. 

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

Interesting. You chose to ignore the first part of my answer, and resorted to calling the rest an obstinacy. Alas, one cannot argue with such narrow mindedness.

Ma'a Salama. 

Hahahaha narrowmindednessss. Your first part was similar to your second part both were mere excuses and you know it. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

In the case of Nuh (a), his son was a disbeliever, not just disobedient. He pretended to have faith, but then chose to not aboard the Ark and split from the believers. This is entirely different from 'Umar. Surely, there were points he acted disobediently and I can see that he carried some of the old traits of his polytheistic forefathers, but this did not make him a disbeliever. He remained within the fold of Islam, and we have to judge him as such.

I never said I believed 'Umar to be innocent. Stop putting words into my mouth. I only refuse to see history with a black and white sectarian lens that turns every single thing into a Sunni vs. Shia battle. 

How it should be looked in the History if someone loathed others? We know wery well Imam Ali (عليه السلام) in many narrations show these companions true color. For Umar and Abu Bakr, this following narration from Sahih Muslim show what Imam Ali (عليه السلام) thought about them:

...Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said: “We do not have any heirs; what we leave behind is (to be given in) charity.” So both of you thought him to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that he was true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. When Abu Bakr passed away and (I have become) the successor of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him), you thought me to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that I am true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. I became the guardian of this property. Then you as well as he came to me. Both of you have come and your purpose is identical. You said: Entrust the property to us. I said: If you wish that I should entrust it to you, it will be on the condition that both of you will undertake to abide by a pledge made with Allah that you will use it in the same way as the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) used it. So both of you got it. He said: Wasn’t it like this? They said: Yes. He said: Then you have (again) come to me with the request that I should adjudge between you. No, by Allah. I will not give any other judgment except this until the arrival of the Doomsday. If you are unable to hold the property on this condition, return it to me. Sahih Muslim Book 19, Hadith Number 4349

For Sunnis Imam Ali (عليه السلام) opinion do not hold that much weight becaue they will take Umar words that "Allah knows that he was true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth", but for us no, this is very serious issue because Imam Ali (عليه السلام) never lies or form a lie.

The thing is this, I believe Imam Ali (عليه السلام) did loathed about these companions amoung his close companions and those who followed him, but in public and in general he did not show it intensively because he did not want to cause distribution in Ummah because many of Muslims and elites have already attached their love for Abu Bakr and Umar.

Edited by Abu Nur

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Abu Nur said:

How it should be looked in the History if someone loathed others? We know wery well Imam Ali (عليه السلام) in many narrations show these companions true color. For Umar and Abu Bakr, this following narration from Sahih Muslim show what Imam Ali (عليه السلام) thought about them:

...Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said: “We do not have any heirs; what we leave behind is (to be given in) charity.” So both of you thought him to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that he was true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. When Abu Bakr passed away and (I have become) the successor of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him), you thought me to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that I am true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. I became the guardian of this property. Then you as well as he came to me. Both of you have come and your purpose is identical. You said: Entrust the property to us. I said: If you wish that I should entrust it to you, it will be on the condition that both of you will undertake to abide by a pledge made with Allah that you will use it in the same way as the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) used it. So both of you got it. He said: Wasn’t it like this? They said: Yes. He said: Then you have (again) come to me with the request that I should adjudge between you. No, by Allah. I will not give any other judgment except this until the arrival of the Doomsday. If you are unable to hold the property on this condition, return it to me. Sahih Muslim Book 19, Hadith Number 4349

For Sunnis Imam Ali (عليه السلام) opinion do not hold that much weight becaue they will take Umar words that "Allah knows that he was true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth", but for us no, this is very serious issue because Imam Ali (عليه السلام) never lies or form a lie.

The thing is this, I believe Imam Ali (عليه السلام) did loathed about these companions amoung his close companions and those who followed him, but in public and in general he did not show it intensively because he did not want to cause distribution in Ummah because many of Muslims and elites have already attached their love for Abu Bakr and Umar.

It's a very long hadith, you have only quoted a part of it which you felt was relevant in proving your point. If you read the full hadith, it is 'Abbas who calls 'Ali (a) dishonest and treacherous first. In response to 'Abbas, 'Umar actually indirectly defends 'Ali (a) and goes on to say "so you [both] thought of Abu Bakr as a liar, sinful, treacherous, and dishonest" - it's almost like a rhetorical question and if you notice, 'Umar uses the same exact words in an identical order the way 'Abbas did, in verbatim to prove his point that 'Abbas should not resort to personal attacks. If we had to translate it emotionally, it would be something along the lines of 'Umar saying, "'Abbas, do not use these words. Would either of you attack Abu Bakr or myself using these same words, despite knowing both of us are rightly-guided?" It's the way arguments roll in Arabic. 

I don't disregard 'Ali's (a) feelings towards them, though. I don't believe he (a) was satisfied with them and there were certainly some major differences between them, in which 'Ali (a) most definitely had the correct understanding among all. I agree with you that the community and the rest of the elite had already attached themselves to the others, and 'Ali (a) was smart and quick to realize this and his entire strategy thereafter was to work with the state than to openly oppose them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam 

Umm Kulsum. The third daughter of Abu Bakr was Umm Kulsum. She was born of Habiba bint Zaid Ansari. Umm Kulsum was born after the death of Abu Bakr. On coming of age, Umm Kulsum was married to Talha bin Ubaidullah. On the death of Talha, she married his brother Abdur Rahman bin Ubaidullah.

https://www.alim.org/history/khaleefa/aboobacker/18/7/

according to it a possibility which comes to think of it is that she has been daughter of Abubakr which in similar fashion of Muhammad ibn Abubakr has been under guardianship of Amir Al Muminin  Imam Ali(عليه السلام) so therefore Umar has asked for marriage with her from Amir Al Muminin  Imam Ali(عليه السلام) .