Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sayed's spouse and khums/sadaqa

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam aleikum! This will be my first post here, so apologies if I post this in wrong place or something. Im still learning how to use this amazing forum :)

So I have a question. I am non-sayed woman and I am married to sayed man alhamdulillah. According to what I have understood is that sayeds cannot receive sadaqa but poor and needy sayeds can have their share from khums (sahme sadat). As for me, sayed's non-sayed wife, can I also for example eat from that money if there would me time that my husband needed part from khums? 

Also I have more questions. In my situation, as i am non-syed woman married to Syed man, do I need to pay khums? If I do need to pay it, can I pay it direct to my husband (if he would be poor and needy)? 

Since my husband as syed cant receive sadaqa, can I still receive sadaqa (for example if there was time when we would be poor and needy)? Or am I also now prohibited to receive sadaqa since my husband in this case would receive sahme sadat?

JazakAllah khair for your answers :)  

• Advanced Member

I am confused 

6 hours ago, Almuslimah said:

In my situation, as i am non-syed woman married to Syed man, do I need to pay khums? If I do need to pay it, can I pay it direct to my husband (if he would be poor and needy)? 

1761. If a person earns by means of trade, industry or any other ways of earning, like, if he earns some money by offering prayers and fasting on behalf of a dead person, and if it exceeds the annual expenses for maintaining himself and his family, he should pay Khums (i.e. 1/5) from the surplus, in accordance with the rules which will be explained later. ~Sistani~

So if you are saying you guys are needy then why would you pay Khums? Khums should be on after your expenses. 

I am non-sayed woman and I am married to sayed man alhamdulillah. According to what I have understood is that sayeds cannot receive sadaqa but poor and needy sayeds can have their share from khums (sahme sadat). As for me, sayed's non-sayed wife, can I also for example eat from that money if there would me time that my husband needed part from khums? 

I think he can since he is the Hakim and he needs to feed his family. I don't think it should be a problem. 

Since my husband as syed cant receive sadaqa, can I still receive sadaqa (for example if there was time when we would be poor and needy)? Or am I also now prohibited to receive sadaqa since my husband in this case would receive sahme sadat?

I would guess you could receive sadq, but it would be better if could confirm with your Moulana. 

• Basic Members
42 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

I am confused 

1761. If a person earns by means of trade, industry or any other ways of earning, like, if he earns some money by offering prayers and fasting on behalf of a dead person, and if it exceeds the annual expenses for maintaining himself and his family, he should pay Khums (i.e. 1/5) from the surplus, in accordance with the rules which will be explained later. ~Sistani~

So if you are saying you guys are needy then why would you pay Khums? Khums should be on after your expenses. 

I think he can since he is the Hakim and he needs to feed his family. I don't think it should be a problem. 

I would guess you could receive sadq, but it would be better if could confirm with your Moulana. 

In first quote I mean that if we are not needy. And syeds dont pay khums? So if we are not needy (alhamdulillah we are not), do I need to pay khums even my husband does not need to pay (as him being Syed and i am not)? 

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, Almuslimah said:

In first quote I mean that if we are not needy. And syeds dont pay khums? So if we are not needy (alhamdulillah we are not), do I need to pay khums even my husband does not need to pay (as him being Syed and i am not)? 

This not obligatory for you because whole women earning belongs to her & paying khums is not obligatory for her ,It is your choice to pay it or not. 

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

This not obligatory for you because whole women earning belongs to her & paying khums is not obligatory for her ,It is your choice to pay it or not. 

iii. An earning woman

It is wajib on an earning woman to pay khums from the surplus of her income if she is the provider of the family. If her husband or father is the provider, then she has to pay khums from the entire amount of her income which is in excess to her own expenses.

If a non-earning woman gets some wealth from her husband or from any other person, then it is wajib to pay the khums from it provided it is more than her annual expenses. This does not apply to dower or inheritance which is not liable for khums.

https://www.al-islam.org/khums-islamic-tax-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/khums-surplus-or-profit-income#iii-earning-woman