Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam,

Do you believe in forced positivity?

I've noticed that a lot of users (guests) often post about how depressed they are and how their life is a mess etc.

Posting a simple saying - "just be positive", "don't be negative" isn't necessarily gonna help. I'm not a psychologist or anything but do you really think "forcing positivity" in a world which is full of "negativity" is actually effective? Or are there better ways to go about it?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Salaam bro.

The way it could be looked at is giving those people who are depressed some hope, ya know to show that were there for them. Sure it isn't going to make them not-depressed but it'll give an attitude that might help.

I do agree with you when you tell a depressed person to be positive/not to be negative. If feel like you have to give the person the mindset without outright saying it and just talk to them about the problem.

W/Salam Brother,

"Words have the power to heal, to hurt, to open minds and hearts and to change the world. Never forget the responsibility you have over the words you speak and write."

I recall having read this quote in a book. Sorry, but I don't recall which one so I can't quote the source.  

Edited by Aflower

47 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

Do you believe in forced positivity?

I've noticed that a lot of users (guests) often post about how depressed they are and how their life is a mess etc.

Posting a simple saying - "just be positive", "don't be negative" isn't necessarily gonna help. I'm not a psychologist or anything but do you really think "forcing positivity" in a world which is full of "negativity" is actually effective? Or are there better ways to go about it?

The force of positivity is not an option in all honesty, It is not us forcing him, we just advice him to try to be positive, cause that is the only way to do so, maybe there are fatal ways, but the best way is to stay positive. In fact It is kind of hard to stay positive in a negative surronderings. We are humans, we can't provide to him/her much, but what we can do is pray for him, cause surely Allah accepts all daus.

Allah is the best provider, we can even teach him some salat or certain things that we learnt through our experience, but no one can be lead to right path without Allah's premission.

Ya Allah, Ya Rahim.

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Posting a simple saying - "just be positive", "don't be negative" isn't necessarily gonna help.

Well, we need to see what options we have to make the person feel well and relaxed. Keeping in view that the person has shared his depressed condition with the hope that someone will going to guide him & share with him some kind words.