Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
anzaidi05

Divorce Pronunciation in Other language

Rate this topic

Understanding what the formula means is easy, it's "My wife *name* is divorced". You don't need to read anything, you just need to pronounce the formula in Arabic and understand what you are saying. The formula must be said in correct Arabic, unless you are unable to pronounce it in Arabic properly. The Arabic formula is quite easy to recite even from a person who doesn't speak Arabic, you just need to practice saying it a few times and eventually you'll know how to recite it properly. Reciting the formula in a different language should be the last resort.

Q: How does a couple get divorced? Is their a specific formula they must both recite to make it official?

A: The man who is divorcing his wife should be sane and – by the obligatory caution – baligh (mature by shar`) and should divorces her by choice. The divorce should be made while the wife is pure of menses and nifas and her husband had no sex with her neither during this purity period nor during the menses/nifas prior to this purity. Divorce formula should be recited in a correct Arabic language and two just male witnesses should witness it. If the same husband wants to say the divorce formula (and his wife’s name is Fatimah for example) he should say:
زَوْجَتِى فاطِمَةُ طالِقٌ
‘My wife Fatimah is divorced’. But if he gives the power of attorney to another person to say it on his behalf, the attorney should say:
زَوْجَةُ مُوكِّلى فاطِمَةُ طالِقٌ
‘Fatimah, the wife of my client, is divorced’.

54 minutes ago, Nitidum said:

@Hassan- Not contradicting you but just thinking that if nikkah can be prounounced in other languages, if we can do niyyah of salat and soum in other languages then divorce should be valid too,if pronounced in other languages?

Nikah formula must be pronounced in correct Arabic the same as divorce formula. Reciting the niyyah for salah or fast is not a wajib act, hence why you can recite it in different languages. But as for divorce and nikah, reciting the niyah is wajib for them to be valid, and for this reason they must be said in correct Arabic.

5 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Nikah formula must be pronounced in correct Arabic the same as divorce formula

On the basis of precaution, the formula (Nikah) of marriage contract should be pronounced in correct Arabic. And if the man and the woman cannot pronounce the formula in correct Arabic, they can pronounce the Nikah in any other language

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2346/

3 hours ago, Nitidum said:

On the basis of precaution, the formula (Nikah) of marriage contract should be pronounced in correct Arabic. And if the man and the woman cannot pronounce the formula in correct Arabic, they can pronounce the Nikah in any other language

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2346/

If you look at my first post, I clearly said if they cannot pronounce it properly they can say it in another language, for both marriage and divorce.

Thanks all, 

Do we have to pronounce the full name of spouse or only first name, so we have to say:

My wife (first name) is divorced  

or 

My wife (full name) is divorced

Edited by Heavenly_Silk
Removed personal details.

8 hours ago, anzaidi05 said:

Thanks all, 

Do we have to pronounce the full name of spouse or only first name, so we have to say:

My wife (first name) is divorced  

or 

My wife (full name) is divorced

Judging by the fatwa I posted, saying just the first name is enough, however it doesn’t hurt to say the full name just to be safe...