Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
2Timeless

Necessity of hijab

Rate this topic

Salam,

I know that the headscarf and (female) hijab in general is important in terms of maintaining that boundary and keeping us out of otherwise compromising situations. But as we all know, Seyeda Zainab and Lady Fatima-Al-Zahra had perfect hijab which consisted of covering up completely, wearing abayahs etc. For me, and many other hijabi women, covering up to that extent is very very hard and impractical in our day-to-day lives especially if you use public transport regularly and spend a lot of time out-and- about. I try to have good hijab both in terms of clothing and the way I carry myself, but I still think that my hijab is not good enough. Don't get me wrong, I dress modestly, and don't wear figure hugging clothing but no matter what, my hijab is nothing in comparison to that of ahl-al-bayt. Is hijab such an important factor in Islam that if I don't have perfect hijab (i.e similar to ahl-al-bayt hijab) I'll be punished? 

Also, for those who may not dress as modestly but carry themselves with respect and dignity, does that also mean their Iman and practice of Islam is useless? Or does that reduce the credibility of their devotion to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى in any way? 

Thanks in advance 

Personally, I wear a simple headscarf with a long top or knee length dress (long sleeves) with slacks underneath and sturdy shoes, never high heels. Wearing abaya or a chador in the West not only makes you stand out as a stranger or a perceived threat, but you won't be able to run very fast in ankle length clothing. Keep the ethnic clothing for your trips back home.

I think social hijab is much more important than how much clothes you wear. Social hijab is definitely harder, and many women fail at that. I have a problem with maintaining serious and expressionless face. If several men are staring at my face, after few hours of dealing with that, I get uncomfortable and I get a weird smile which sends all kinds of wrong signals. But I try my best. I have seen hijabis having affairs with not one but 10 or 15 affairs with married men and it's considered acceptable. This observation has made me more relaxed about my hijab and now I don't even feel guilty about sending wrong signals to anyone. Also, if you think that you can follow perfect hijab by sitting at home and not going outside, you are wrong. Worst harassment occurs behind closed doors. Some people think that only men outside of family are non-mehram while all the males in the family are mehram. This is wrong, except for few relations, all men are non-mehram. 

Edited by rkazmi33

I agree with everything you guys said. What I meant is for the women who wear this moderate hijab- i.e headscarf, knee-length tops and trousers/jeans- are we punished or considered to be sinning in the eyes of Allah because we're not wearing the perfect hijab of ahl-al-bayt? 

On 4/7/2018 at 4:41 AM, Amira00 said:

I agree with everything you guys said. What I meant is for the women who wear this moderate hijab- i.e headscarf, knee-length tops and trousers/jeans- are we punished or considered to be sinning in the eyes of Allah because we're not wearing the perfect hijab of ahl-al-bayt? 

Salam ,it depends on you society that it must not be cloth of fame in your society beside modesty.

Clothing fame is a dress that is not suitable for wearing it for a person because of the color or quality of sewing or mending it and other reasons, as if it puts it against the people, it attracts their attention and becomes pointing by fingers.

Question: Is it permissible for women to wear tight clothing that shows their body bumps or wearing barefoot clothes in weddings and the like?
C: If it is safe and protected from the eyes of the obedient men and the guiltite sequence, it is not a problem; otherwise it is not permissible.

Question: Is it allowed to wear a shiny black shoe?
A: There is no problem unless its color and form draw attention to the non-charter or its engagement.

https://article.tebyan.net/274564/معیار-لباس-شهرت-چیست-

697588_img650x420_img650x420_crop.jpg

On 4/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, Amira00 said:

No sister you will not be punished, if you wear loose fitting clothes, no zeena (beautification), not sheer, and covering everything except hands and face.

As long as you dress modesty and carry yourself in a chaste way, you are following what Allah wants from you.

God bless you 

If I were to wear hijab, my personal style would be similar to these:

083c4d7145abf12c67bc094781107ca4.jpg

Stylish-Hijab-Styles-2017.jpg

Although I’m Persian, I do prefer the Arab style of wearing hijab.

I have long sleeved shirts and loose clothing (90% of my wardrobe consists of long sleeved shirts.) If I wear a short sleeved shirt, I make sure to cover my arms with a cardigan. Inshallah Allah will make it easy for me to wear the hijab someday soon. 

My point is that we are all on our own journeys toward modesty, and as long as you’re doing your best and you have good intentions for wearing the hijab, then you shouldn’t worry too much. You are doing what is required, and you are not sinning. 

And at the end of the day, the hijab is supposed to serve as a reminder to perfect your akhlaq and social modesty. (Example: being respectful, being kind to others, lowering your gaze, not flirting with men, etc.) there are many girls out there who wear the hijab perfectly, but are very flirtatious and forward with men behind closed doors.

Next time you are concerned about your hijab, which meets the standards of modesty, ask yourself if your social hijab was up to standard for the day. Ask yourself if your behavior was up to Islamic standards. Too often we focus on our shortcomings of our outer appearances, when we should worry about our inner selves. 

Salaam Alaykum

There are a set of rules which are Wajib. As long as you follow them, you'll be fine. I realized that Hijab rulings are a bit changing especially in west. Hijab means that hair is covered completely, the volume of the body is not visible, and a Muslim woman doesn't wear colorful clothes. I see that some women say that they follow all Hijab rulings, but their clothes are a bit tight, red colored, etc. It is not following. It's partially following. Covering whole body including face may not be possible for some women, but all should follow Wajib.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:02 AM, Hameedeh said:

Keep the ethnic clothing for your trips back home.

Really? Do you think Sayeda Fatima would like to read this comment? If she was living in the west right now, do you actually think she would compromise her beliefs and her father's Islamic traditions because of being scared of being a "threat"? Do you think she would wear such clothes that we could say someone is wearing the hijab better than her? Then why are you saying such discouraging words, sister?

If nuns can wear their hijab the way they want, without caring about what other people think, then why can we not?

We live in a society that encourages people to be who they want to be, and to dress however they want to dress. So if you actually want to 'follow' this society, then wearing the abaya is the ultimate statement that reflects self-confidence and independence. 

7 hours ago, zionismdestroyer said:

i think Hijab has become fashion not only in west but in Muslim countries also its only hair covering rest is revealing :cry:

To be honest, unless you're a girl living in the west you'll never understand the struggle. I think instead of judging girls for what they're not doingits important to acknowledge what they are doing. That is the only constructive way forward.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Sister, if you have a strong personality and high self esteem there is no struggle.  The struggle is when you think low of yourself, or self conscious of how you look like or what others will think of you.

Millions of Muslim girls don the hijab in the west.  Carry yourself in a respectable confident way and Allah will protect you and He is who gives you honor and dignity.  

God protect you from all harmful people.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

On 5/6/2018 at 8:23 PM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Salaam Alaykum

There are a set of rules which are Wajib. As long as you follow them, you'll be fine. I realized that Hijab rulings are a bit changing especially in west. Hijab means that hair is covered completely, the volume of the body is not visible, and a Muslim woman doesn't wear colorful clothes. I see that some women say that they follow all Hijab rulings, but their clothes are a bit tight, red colored, etc. It is not following. It's partially following. Covering whole body including face may not be possible for some women, but all should follow Wajib.

A woman can wear any color of clothes. As long as she’s covered.

I wear loose clothing, hijab with hands, face and feet showing (I don’t really know if covering feet is wajib). My clothes tend to be a little colorful but not too flashy. A bit of makeup is a must though I know it’s against the rules...as for social hijab, I try my level best to limit conversations with non-mahram at work but it can be challenging at times when you spend most of the day in the office. 

Internet has the answer to everything. I found some tips on how to keep a straight face, I will try them next time I start smiling. I cannot believe I spent 4 years struggling with this problem before looking for a solution. 

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

A woman can wear any color of clothes. As long as she’s covered.

When I used the word "colored", I meant a color that attracts attention of nonmahram. Normal colors are not considered to be eye catching. You can see some women in society who wear whole red clothes, or some sort of color combination that gets attention of men. This is Haram.

3 hours ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

When I used the word "colored", I meant a color that attracts attention of nonmahram. Normal colors are not considered to be eye catching. You can see some women in society who wear whole red clothes, or some sort of color combination that gets attention of men. This is Haram.

It is not haram. What matters is the intention. Not the color. There is a fatwa from Sistani who was asked about wearing an attractive shoe, (if I find it, I’ll paste it.) and he said there was no issue in doing so unless it was intended to attract men.

Do not mix culture with religion. People in Iran are uncultured and are starved from male attention so they wear high heels in the streets and clown makeup. People in Western societies do not dress generally to attract the opposite sex in public places (unless it’s a bar or club) in terms of color scheme. They are more likely to pick colors for outfits based on what looks good together. 

In fact, in Western societies, even if people wore red, they dress and present themselves as bit dumpy and unkempt. Take a look at any college campus and you got messy buns and people walking around in their pajamas. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

On 4/7/2018 at 3:56 AM, Amira00 said:

Is hijab such an important factor in Islam that if I don't have perfect hijab (i.e similar to ahl-al-bayt hijab) I'll be punished? 

This is all going back to your perception of what you believe the hijab of Lady Zahra or Zainab was like. You haven't clarified for us what this perception is because I have a feeling it's based off of things you've heard on the pulpit where they make it sound like these ladies were always covered in black with faces hidden and were living under house arrest in the inner most section of their homes.

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

4 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

This is all going back to your perception of what you believe the hijab of Lady Zahra or Zainab was like. You haven't clarified for us what this perception is because I have a feeling it's based off of things you've heard on the pulpit where they make it sound like these ladies were always covered in black with faces hidden and were living under house arrest in the inner most section of their homes.

You're right, the stuff I've heard on the hijab of ahl al bayt is all from the pulpit. But is it not true? Even the illustrations and hadiths ive heard all explain how the women were covered from head to toe, wearing those black abayahs (the ones you wear on the head) and their faces were covered. Ive also heard (I don't know if it's a Hadith or something else) that Imam Ali would blow out all the candles when Fatima Al zahra would pass by so the men on the street wouldn't even see her shadow. 

Is this all not right?