ali47

Imamate of Muhammad (pbuh)

Rate this topic

Salaam all,

I posted here as the prophets and ahl al bayt section was greyed out.

My question is was Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ever an Imam and what is textual proof is there for this?

I know Ibrahim was made an imam and the 12 successors and these can be proven using Quran and Hadiths.

I have read in sources that he was an Imam in order to show his superiority to all other Imams because of him being a Rasul, unlike the others, but I cannot find the textual proof for this.

Thanks

Dear brother @ali47 don’t confuse Imamat with the wilaya.

Besides in numerous places in Quran, the famous khutba in Ghadeer proclaims if people believe in the wilaya of Allah SWT, if they did, then if those who believed in the wilaya of the RasulAllah S would also believe in the wilaya of Imam Ali A.

So you see the real wilaya belongs to Allah, then to the Prophet S and only then to Imam Ali A.

The real concept here is to understand Wilaya. 

“Ali is the most decisive in passing judgement from the Book of Allāh from among my nation. Know that one who loves me then he must love him ( ‘Alī (alayhi salām)). Surely a person cannot reach my Wilayat except with the love of  ‘Alī ibn Abī Tālib (alayhi salām).”

[Reference: Bashaarah al-Mustafa Le Shiah al-Murtaza v 2 p 149 Behaar al-Anwaar v 39 p 283]

On 4/4/2018 at 9:01 PM, ali47 said:

Salaam all,

I posted here as the prophets and ahl al bayt section was greyed out.

My question is was Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ever an Imam and what is textual proof is there for this?
I know Ibrahim was made an imam and the 12 successors and these can be proven using Quran and Hadiths.

I have read in sources that he was an Imam in order to show his superiority to all other Imams because of him being a Rasul, unlike the others, but I cannot find the textual proof for this.

Thanks

وَ إِذِ ابْتَلى إِبْراهِيمَ رَبُّهُ بِكَلِماتٍ فَأَتَمَّهُنَّ قالَ إِنِّي جاعِلُكَ لِلنَّاسِ إِماماً قالَ وَ مِنْ ذُرِّيَّتِي قالَ لا يَنالُ عَهْدِي الظَّالِمِينَ

And when his Lord tried Ibrahim with commands, he fulfilled them. He said: Surely I will make you an Imam for mankind. (Ibrahim) said: And of my offspring (will there be leaders)? He said, my covenant does not include the unjust. (2:124)

Since the Prophet (saw) is part of Prophet Ibrahim's (as)' offspring, he (saw) is an Imam too. But what brother @irfan313 said is also very applicable that you sho uldn't forget wilayah:

إِنَّمَا وَلِيُّكُمُ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا الَّذِينَ يُقِيمُونَ الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُونَ الزَّكَاةَ وَهُمْ رَاكِعُونَ {55}

[Shakir 5:55] Only Allah is your Vali and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.

Edited by ShiaMan14

On 4/4/2018 at 10:01 PM, ali47 said:

Yes, Prophet Muhammad (peace & blessings of Allah be upon him & his pure progeny) is the also the Imam.
He is the Imam ul Anbiya. Syed-ul-Anbiya, no one should have doubt on his imamate. 

وَإِذْ أَخَذَ اللَّهُ مِيثَاقَ النَّبِيِّينَ لَمَا آتَيْتُكُمْ مِنْ كِتَابٍ وَحِكْمَةٍ ثُمَّ جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولٌ مُصَدِّقٌ لِمَا مَعَكُمْ لَتُؤْمِنُنَّ بِهِ وَلَتَنْصُرُنَّهُ ۚ قَالَ أَأَقْرَرْتُمْ وَأَخَذْتُمْ عَلَىٰ ذَٰلِكُمْ إِصْرِي ۖ قَالُوا أَقْرَرْنَا ۚ قَالَ فَاشْهَدُوا وَأَنَا مَعَكُمْ مِنَ الشَّاهِدِينَ 
(3:81)

وَيَوْمَ نَبْعَثُ فِي كُلِّ أُمَّةٍ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْهِمْ مِنْ أَنْفُسِهِمْ ۖ وَجِئْنَا بِكَ شَهِيدًا عَلَىٰ هَٰؤُلَاءِ
(16:89)

On 4/9/2018 at 12:11 PM, Irfani313 said:

Dear brother @ali47 don’t confuse Imamat with the wilaya.

Besides in numerous places in Quran, the famous khutba in Ghadeer proclaims if people believe in the wilaya of Allah SWT, if they did, then if those who believed in the wilaya of the RasulAllah S would also believe in the wilaya of Imam Ali A.

So you see the real wilaya belongs to Allah, then to the Prophet S and only then to Imam Ali A.

The real concept here is to understand Wilaya. 

“Ali is the most decisive in passing judgement from the Book of Allāh from among my nation. Know that one who loves me then he must love him ( ‘Alī (alayhi salām)). Surely a person cannot reach my Wilayat except with the love of  ‘Alī ibn Abī Tālib (alayhi salām).”

[Reference: Bashaarah al-Mustafa Le Shiah al-Murtaza v 2 p 149 Behaar al-Anwaar v 39 p 283]

Thanks for the cogent reply Irfani313.

Do you have any recommendations for texts discussing wilayat?