Rate this topic

As we know in al kafi it says that the number of mut'a marriages one can have is like that of slaves (meaning there is no limit).

However, in Al-Istibsar (p. 693), from the path of Ibn Abi Nasr that he asked Al-Redha:

I asked him about a man that is married to a woman and if it is possible to marry her sister as mutah. He said: No. I said: Zurarah narrates from Abi Ja’afar – peace be upon him – that they (mutah wives) are like slave girls and one can marry as much as one likes. He said: No, they are from the four.

Al-Tusi also narrates from Mohammad bin Hasan Al-Saffar from Mu’awiyah bin Hakeem from Ali bin Al-Hasan bin Ribat from Abdullah bin Muskan from Ammar Al-Sabati from Abi Abdullah (that he was asked) about mutah, so he said: They are from the four.

How can we reconcile these ahadith

5 hours ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

As we know in al kafi it says that the number of mut'a marriages one can have is like that of slaves (meaning there is no limit).

However, in Al-Istibsar (p. 693), from the path of Ibn Abi Nasr that he asked Al-Redha:

I asked him about a man that is married to a woman and if it is possible to marry her sister as mutah. He said: No. I said: Zurarah narrates from Abi Ja’afar – peace be upon him – that they (mutah wives) are like slave girls and one can marry as much as one likes. He said: No, they are from the four.

Al-Tusi also narrates from Mohammad bin Hasan Al-Saffar from Mu’awiyah bin Hakeem from Ali bin Al-Hasan bin Ribat from Abdullah bin Muskan from Ammar Al-Sabati from Abi Abdullah (that he was asked) about mutah, so he said: They are from the four.

How can we reconcile these ahadith

One can't marry 2 sisters at all

This is what al-Tusi wrote after the narrations about them being from the four.

(No sure if I got this completely right, but it is more or less what is says)

فالوجه في هذين الخبرين أن نحملهما على ضرب من الاحتياط والفضل والاخبار الأولة على الجواز ورفع الحظر يدل على ذلك

So the way to understand these two narrations is that we treat them as indicating on precaution and preference. And the first narrations about allowance and the removal of forbiddance are an indication of that.

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/1159_الاستبصار-الشيخ-الطوسي-ج-٣/الصفحة_0?pageno=148#top

5 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

This is what al-Tusi wrote after the narrations about them being from the four.

(No sure if I got this completely right, but it is more or less what is says)

فالوجه في هذين الخبرين أن نحملهما على ضرب من الاحتياط والفضل والاخبار الأولة على الجواز ورفع الحظر يدل على ذلك

So the way to understand these two narrations is that we treat them as indicating on precaution and preference. And the first narrations about allowance and the removal of forbiddance are an indication of that.

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/1159_الاستبصار-الشيخ-الطوسي-ج-٣/الصفحة_0?pageno=148#top

sorry brother but can you explain a bit more. i dont really understand

1 minute ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

sorry brother but can you explain a bit more. i dont really understand

In the chapter there are a number of narrations, the majority permit a man to marry more than four women temporarily, so in order to make sense of the conflicting narrations, al-Tusi is saying that the prohibition of marrying more than four, or making them from the four wives that a man is allowed would be done for two reasons - precaution and in order to show favour to the women in question.