Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Doubting Tahara

Rate this topic

Guest Guest X

Salam Alaykum,

For whatever reason, I am too worried about cleanliness to the point I take it too far. As in, stuff like multiple washing (e.g. I shampoo my hair and wash my body thrice when I shower, I wash my hands multiple times etc) and it is taking way too much time from my day. If I suspect I have become najis (using public bathroom or just a thought that drops have been emitted despite not seeing any AND doing istibra) I throw all my clothes to wash and wash/wipe with baby wipes everything that I was carrying. I've been told this is Shaytaan but I have struggled like this for so many years. Any advice on this?

• Advanced Member

Salam just once time ghusl make you pure & clean & two extra washing is not needed when after one ghusl if you feel dirty & Najis take refugee to Allah from Shaytan اعوذ بالله من الشیطان الرجیم & recite Naas & Falaq suhrars from doubting you & reveal Waswas to your mind 

• Advanced Member
On 3/20/2018 at 5:20 AM, Guest Guest X said:

Salam Alaykum,

For whatever reason, I am too worried about cleanliness to the point I take it too far. As in, stuff like multiple washing (e.g. I shampoo my hair and wash my body thrice when I shower, I wash my hands multiple times etc) and it is taking way too much time from my day. If I suspect I have become najis (using public bathroom or just a thought that drops have been emitted despite not seeing any AND doing istibra) I throw all my clothes to wash and wash/wipe with baby wipes everything that I was carrying. I've been told this is Shaytaan but I have struggled like this for so many years. Any advice on this?

Salaam,

Dear guest, the cursed shaitan, always tries to find different methods to trap us, and as per the narrations from the Ahlulbayt this is where the doubt comes from.

I came across a narration, the context of which was, that a similar situation as yours (doubt) was explained to the Imam a.s, and the Imam (a.s) replied that this man is worshipping the shaitan, and the one who asked the question was surprised and replied 'how is he worshipping the shaitan when he is doing this for the sake of God', and the Imam a.s replied, 'ask him yourself what is the source of the doubts he is listening to and obeying and he will say they are from the shaitan' and so he is obeying the shaitan.

Remember several things, first that istibra' which you seem to already know, ensures that you do not have to worry about najasa.
Secondly, that everything is pure unless proven najis.
Thirdly, that anything that is dry is pure.

It would be best to do what the brother above mentioned (though its not easy to recite all the time, try your best).
Secondly, always do esteghfar when these thoughts occur, and just try to move quickly and ignore them, dont let your mind wander and contemplate your actions, it is not healthy to be in the state of constant worry and anxiety over purity, and think of these doubts as impure (najis) thoughts instead and fight them.

Guest Guest X
Just now, Sisterfatima1 said:

Salam 

with no offence needed do you think you have obsessive compulsive disorder

I actually do have it. Pretty bad mental health since I have others.

1 hour ago, sirat-al-nur said:

Salaam,

and contemplate your actions, it is not healthy to be in the state of constant worry and anxiety over purity, and think of these doubts as impure (najis) thoughts instead and fight them.

I try that but it keeps coming back to mind. What to do then?

On 3/20/2018 at 2:46 AM, Guest Guest X said:

I try reciting but I keep doubting and it eats my mind until I give up. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

Salaam Alaykum

Calm down. This is from Satan. He wants to make hell out of your life. This are some simple rules that help you overcome your problem:

1. Everything that you don't know is clean and Pak unless the opposite is proved. For example, you are out and its pray time, you can pray on the ground and its Pak.

2. The water that splashes around while washing your cloth(if you do by hand, also when you wash your body), is Pak if it doesn't have taste, smell, and color of Nijasat. Since you don't know, and these condition rarely happen, you can assume its Pak.

3. This is very helpful. If something was clean previously, but you doubt whether its Najes now or not, its Pak and clean.

4. When you want to use bathroom, put some toilet paper in the water, so that it doesn't bounce back especially on number 2(sorry if I'm clear). You can also put some more toilet paper during the time you use it.

5. When you do number 2, if there is not Nijasat from outside(other than number 2), and there is not blood with number 2, and number 2 polluted the area as usual(not larger than usual), area can be cleaned by using toilet paper 3 times.

Brother, take it easy. Don't worry. Number 1 and 3 help you a lot. I had your problem before, but I'm much better now. Do this Zekr a lot: لا اله الا الله

This Zekr is also helpful: لا حول و لا قوته الا بالله العلی العظیم

Take it easy, be relaxed, follow those rules, and do Zekr. Inshaallah it will be solved.

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover
  • Advanced Member

Same issues here bro. 

@AmirAlmuminin Lover thanks for your lovely advice, definitely gonna try and follow it, especially the washroom points :p

I’ve been in this situation for the past few months now, and I feel like sometimes it’s really bad and sometimes it gets a little mild. It makes your life hell. Sometimes you start thinking that ignorance truly is bliss. 

Unfortunately, I’m still not fully cured yet myself. What I noticed is that as soon as I kind of overcome one area of doubts, I get inflicted with other kinds of doubts. I’ve been through or am going through all the doubts that we’re mentioned. Currently I’m stuck with a painful washroom crisis. The deadly splashback issue, number 2 is impossible without a wild messy circus performance. I’m looking to buy a handheld bidet sprayer to replace the lotha...And hopefully the toilet paper advice works.

I just pray I can start living like a normal person again :(

AmirulMunineen Lover, if you live in the west, what do you do about LEATHER stuff :( !?!? BELTS, WALLETS etc. I realized recently that I own so many genuine leather stuff made in China...

I don't buy leather, and I avoid it. My belt is leather, but I bought it from Iran. Whatever you don't know is Taher. Be relaxed

Inshaallah your problem will be solved. I pray for you

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover
  • Veteran Member

https://www.al-islam.org/forty-hadith-an-exposition-second-edition-imam-khomeini/twenty-fifth-hadith-satanic-insinuation

from ‘Abd Allah ibn Sinan, who said: I mentioned to Abu ‘Abd Allah (A) a man who was troubled by waswas [obsessions/doubts] in his wudu, and salat, adding that he is a man of intelligence. Thereupon Abu ‘Abd Allah (A) said, “What kind of intelligence has he when he obeys Satan?” I said, “How does he obey Satan?” The Imam replied, “Ask him regarding its cause and he will tell you that it is a work of Satan

Guest Guest X

See, I can force myself to ignore it and pray and do my Islamic duties 90% of the time. But that other 10% is bad, not just in terms of Islam. Like my room is treated like a top level laboratory and it's just weird. I'll try everyone's advice though, so thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shafiali Hassanali

The answer lies in Allah's love. he will send you a sign. check your quran and your love. when you acquire knowledge life will become easier and Allah is all hearing.