Rate this topic

Salam brothers. The hadith we bring up in sunni books- "ali, you are the wali of every believer after me" is a strong proof to use to show that 'wali' does not mean friend and it has to mean leader because of the usage if 'after me'. However, after looking at the debate on this hadith, i have found that there are 3 chains. 2 of them contain shiees so they reject them but one of them contains no shia, the narration of abu balji. Although, I have seen some try and weaken this hadith because they say abu balj made a mistake and instead of narrating to amr bin maymoon, he meant to say mayoom abu abdillah who is weak and would make the hadith weak. thoughts?

5 hours ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

Salam brothers. The hadith we bring up in sunni books- "ali, you are the wali of every believer after me" is a strong proof to use to show that 'wali' does not mean friend and it has to mean leader because of the usage if 'after me'. However, after looking at the debate on this hadith, i have found that there are 3 chains. 2 of them contain shiees so they reject them but one of them contains no shia, the narration of abu balji. Although, I have seen some try and weaken this hadith because they say abu balj made a mistake and instead of narrating to amr bin maymoon, he meant to say mayoom abu abdillah who is weak and would make the hadith weak. thoughts?

Usually, its exact definition in any given situation is dictated by its context. ‘Allamah al-Albani (d. 1420 H) records that the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa alihi, said:

ما تريدون من علي؟ ما تريدون من علي؟ ما تريدون من علي؟ إن عليا مني وأنا منه وهو ولي كل مؤمن بعدي .(صحيح)

“What do you want from ‘Ali? What do you want from ‘Ali? Verily, ‘Ali is from me and I am from him, and he is the wali of every believer after me.” (Sahih)

https://www.al-islam.org/khilafah-ali-over-abu-bakr-toyib-olawuyi/4-hadith-al-wilayah-what-does-wali-mean

Imam al-Salihi al-Shami (d. 942 H) for instance says:

وروى ابن أبي شيبة وهو صحيح عن عمران - رضي الله تعالى عنه - قال: قال رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم -: " علي مني وأنا منه، وعلي ولي كل مؤمن من بعدي."

Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated, and it is sahih, from ‘Imran, may Allah be pleased with him, saying: The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: “Ali is from me and I am from him, and ‘Ali is the wali of every believer after me (min ba’di).”1

Meanwhile, al-Hafiz (d. 852 H) also states:

أخرج الترمذي بإسناد قوي عن عمران بن حصين في قصة قال فيها قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ما تريدون من علي إن عليا مني وأنا من علي وهو ولي كل مؤمن بعدي

Al-Tirmidhi records in a narrative with a strong (qawi) chain from ‘Imran b. Hasin: “The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: ‘What do you want from ‘Ali? Verily, ‘Ali is from me and I am from ‘Ali, and he is the waliof every believer after me (ba’di).’”

https://www.al-islam.org/khilafah-ali-over-abu-bakr-toyib-olawuyi/5-hadith-al-wilayah-implication-after-me

https://www.al-islam.org/khilafah-ali-over-abu-bakr-toyib-olawuyi/7-hadith-al-tawliyah