Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ghusl

Rate this topic

Guest Muhammed

Asalam o alaykum,

I have a question about ghusl. I know there is a certain order for doing it, like rinsing this part of the body first, then this, etc. but in the end everything must be rinsed/washed by water right?
So a normal shower is sufficient, right? (everything is washed/cleaned/rinsed)

Or does the specific procedure need to be strictly followed?

• Moderators

The specific procedure of Ghusl depends on your marja'. Many deceased maraji' said Ghusl can be done in one wash, but now the mainstream view of the living maraji' today say it must done with procedures (3 washes). You must follow whatever your marja' says.

The most important part of Ghusl is intention. A regular shower will not suffice, you must intend to do the Ghusl and do it correctly for it to be valid.

Guest Muhammed
17 hours ago, Hassan- said:

The specific procedure of Ghusl depends on your marja'. Many deceased maraji' said Ghusl can be done in one wash, but now the mainstream view of the living maraji' today say it must done with procedures (3 washes). You must follow whatever your marja' says.

The most important part of Ghusl is intention. A regular shower will not suffice, you must intend to do the Ghusl and do it correctly for it to be valid.

Thanks

I follow Sayed Sistani (ha), what is the procedure I need to follow? I mean the 3 washes you mentioned. Also if you could simplify it for me as much as possible, that would be great.

So if you don't follow the specific procedure by one tiny error, like let's say the slightest error, but you have good intention, all prayers etc. after that will be void?

Guest Guest1010101

Wsalam,

There are two methods for ghusl:

Sequential: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2166/

Submerging the whole body: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2167/

*Rulings as per Sayyid Sistani.

About following the procedure to the fullest without a tiny error don't know. Email your question to Imam Ali Foundation: http://www.najaf.org/english/, scroll down to Ask a Question section.

Hope that helps.

• Advanced Member
On 3/20/2018 at 7:59 AM, Guest Muhammed said:

Thanks

I follow Sayed Sistani (ha), what is the procedure I need to follow? I mean the 3 washes you mentioned. Also if you could simplify it for me as much as possible, that would be great.

So if you don't follow the specific procedure by one tiny error, like let's say the slightest error, but you have good intention, all prayers etc. after that will be void?

Wasalaam wr,

Ghusl Tartibi
is done in the following manner:
1. First make sure that there is nothing which obstructs the water from reaching the skin .e.g. hair oil, nail polish, lipstick.... It is best to clean your complete body and then wash off the shampoo and soap.
2. Do your niyya - It must be Qurbatan Ilallah. You should know which ghusl you are doing.
3. Firstly it is wajib to pour water over your head down to the neck. It is mustahab to run your fingers through your hair so that the water reaches the roots of the hair and to make sure water reaches everywhere.
4. Then, it is wajib to pour water the rest of your body from the shoulder to the feet - the right side first and then the left side. It is mustahab to wipe over the body with your hands whilst doing ghusl to make sure that water has reached every part. When washing the right side some parts of the left side must be washed too and similarly when washing the left side some parts of the right side must be washed.

Source (decent for future reference):
http://www.islamic-laws.com/WudhuTayammumGhusl.htm

(this to my knowledge is in accordance with Sayyed Sistani's view.)

As for the errors, do not listen to doubts and worry about small errors, with the way shower heads are these days its extremely likely that you wouldn't have missed a spot, unless you have certainty that you did.