Rate this topic

I have learned that there are significant differences between the videos I have seen on Shi'a salah as compared to what I have been practicing as a Sunni, following the Shafi'i Madhab. These differences include: combining prayers, prostrating on a Turbah (prayer stone), not saying Ameen after al-Fatiha, the recitation upon standing from Jalsa, different words in Tahhajud, saying SubhanAllah, Al hamdu lillah, la ilaha illAllah and Allahu Akbar 3X in 3rd and 4th rakats instead of al-Fatiha, saying salam once straight ahead instead of to right then left, and 3X Allahu Akbar to end salah.

I have similarly recognized differences between the 4 Sunni Madhabs and chose the Shafi'i as it seemed to me the most authentic as being based on Hadith collections..

The questions I have are, "What is the basis for the Shi'a way of offering salah and why is it significantly different?" Is it based on Shi'a collections of hadith or passed down by word of mouth and demonstration? Should we not follow the way that Prophet Muhammad (saaws) prayed as closely as humanly possible?

2 hours ago, MustafaMc said:

The questions I have are, "What is the basis for the Shi'a way of offering salah and why is it significantly different?" Is it based on Shi'a collections of hadith or passed down by word of mouth and demonstration? Should we not follow the way that Prophet Muhammad (saaws) prayed as closely as humanly possible?

Salam the shia way is completly follow the way of prophet Muhammad (saaws) 

AI-Husayn ibn Muhammad al-Ash'ariy has narrated from 'Abd Allah ibn 'Amir from Ali ibn Mahziyar ibn abu 'Umayr from 'Abd al- Rahman ibn al-Hajjaj from Aban ibn Taghlib who has said the following:

"Once I performed Maghrib (evening) Salat (prayer) with abu 'Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, in 
Muzdalifah. When he completed, he called for Salat (prayer) and performed al-'Isha' (late evening) 
prayer without any delay between the two prayers (evening and late evening). One year later I 
performed Salat (prayer) with him. He prayed Maghrib then he stood up for Nafl (optional) Salat 
(prayer). He performed four Rak'at, then he said Iqamah (called for Salat (prayer) and prayed al-Tsha 
prayer (late evening),) and then he turned to me saying, 'O Aban, these five times Salat (prayers) are 
obligatory. Those who perform them and do not ignore their designated times, they will come in the 
presence of Allah, on the Day of Judgment, with an established covenant before Him, because of 
which they will be admitted in paradise. Those who do not perform them in their designated times and 
ignore the rules about them, then it will be up to Him. He may forgive them or punish them as He will 
wish.'" 

Share...Chapter: 2, Hadith: 4775, Number: 2 

Why do we the Shia pray at three times while the Quran tells us to pray at five times?
question
Why do we the Shia pray at three times while the Quran tells us to pray at five times?
Concise answer

The reason the Shia perform their prayers in three times is the Quranic verses and traditions on the matter. Although the Quran has mentioned that prayer is wajib several times and hasn’t gone into the details, it has spoken of its times: “Maintain the prayer from the sun's decline till the darkness of the night, and [observe particularly] the dawn recital. Indeed the dawn recital is attended [by the angels of day and night]”.[1]

As for the hadiths, there are hadiths that disclose that the prophet (pbuh) would [sometimes] pray the dhuhr and asr prayers together in one time, as was the case with the maghrib and isha prayers. He was asked about this matter, and he replied: “I did so in order that my nation may be free from hardship.”

Imam Sadiq (as) says: “When the sun reaches the highest point in the sky and begins its decline (zawal/midday), it is the time for the dhuhr and asr prayers, the only thing is that the dhuhr prayer must be performed before asr. From then on, you have time to pray the prayers until sunset. There are also similar hadiths in Sunni sources that confirm this issue.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa2334

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Prayer

prophet (saaws) Prayer in sunni sources

«أَخْبَرَنِی مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَمْرِو بْنِ عَطَاءٍ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا حُمَیدٍ السَّاعِدِی فِی عَشْرَةٍ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلی الله علیه وسلم، مِنْهُمْ أَبُو قَتَادَةَ قَالَ أَبُو حُمَیدٍ أَنَا أَعْلَمُکمْ بِصَلَاةِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلی الله علیه وسلم، قَالُوا فَلِمَ فَوَاللَّهِ مَا کنْتَ بِأَکثَرِنَا لَهُ تَبَعًا وَلَا أَقْدَمَنَا لَهُ صُحْبَةً. قَالَ بَلَی. قَالُوا فَاعْرِضْ. قَالَ کانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلی الله علیه وسلم، إِذَا قَامَ إِلَی الصَّلَاةِ یرْفَعُ یدَیهِ حَتَّی یحَاذِی بِهِمَا مَنْکبَیهِ ثُمَّ یکبِّرُ حَتَّی یقِرَّ کلُّ عَظْمٍ فِی مَوْضِعِهِ مُعْتَدِلًا ثُمَّ یقْرَأُ ثُمَّ یکبِّرُ فَیرْفَعُ یدَیهِ حَتَّی یحَاذِی بِهِمَا مَنْکبَیهِ ثُمَّ یرْکعُ وَیضَعُ رَاحَتَیهِ عَلَی رُکبَتَیهِ ثُمَّ یعْتَدِلُ فَلَا یصُبُّ رَأْسَهُ وَلَا یقْنِعُ ثُمَّ یرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ فَیقُولُ: سَمِعَ اللَّهُ لِمَنْ حَمِدَهُ. ثُمَّ یرْفَعُ یدَیهِ حَتَّی یحَاذِی بِهِمَا مَنْکبَیهِ مُعْتَدِلًا ثُمَّ یقُولُ «اللَّهُ أَکبَرُ». ثُمَّ یهْوِی إِلَی الأَرْضِ فَیجَافِی یدَیهِ عَنْ جَنْبَیهِ ثُمَّ یرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ وَ یثْنِی رِجْلَهُ الْیسْرَی فَیقْعُدُ عَلَیهَا وَیفْتَحُ أَصَابِعَ رِجْلَیهِ إِذَا سَجَدَ وَیسْجُدُ ثُمَّ یقُولُ «اللَّهُ أَکبَرُ». وَیرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ وَیثْنِی رِجْلَهُ الْیسْرَی فَیقْعُدُ عَلَیهَا حَتَّی یرْجِعَ کلُّ عَظْمٍ إِلَی مَوْضِعِهِ ثُمَّ یصْنَعُ فِی الأُخْرَی مِثْلَ ذَلِک ثُمَّ إِذَا قَامَ مِنَ الرَّکعَتَینِ کبَّرَ وَرَفَعَ یدَیهِ حَتَّی یحَاذِی بِهِمَا مَنْکبَیهِ کمَا کبَّرَ عِنْدَ افْتِتَاحِ الصَّلَاةِ ثُمَّ یصْنَعُ ذَلِک فِی بَقِیةِ صَلَاتِهِ حَتَّی إِذَا کانَتِ السَّجْدَةُ الَّتِی فِیهَا التَّسْلِیمُ أَخَّرَ رِجْلَهُ الْیسْرَی وَقَعَدَ مُتَوَرِّکا عَلَی شِقِّهِ الأَیسَرِ. قَالُوا صَدَقْتَ هَکذَا کانَ یصَلِّی؛

Sunan Abi davud  v2 p496

Abu Hamid Sa'edi, who is one of the companions of the Prophet, said among the ten companions of the Prophet, "I know from you the prayers of the Prophet!" They said: how? You who did not follow us more than the Prophet and did not associate with us more than you? Said yes. The companions said: Show us the prayers of the Messenger of Allah. He answered: When the Messenger of Allah stood in prayer, he raised his hands to the alignment of his shoulders, then Takbir said that the body was fixed and motionless. Hamad and Surah, he read, and at the time of the bowing of his hands, he said to the upper shoulder and Takbir, and then went to bowing. In bowing, the body of the Imam was straight, with his hands on his knees. He did not bend or lift his head. When he was baptized, he said: Siemallah Leman Hamdeh. Then he raised his hands to his shoulder and, standing up and standing, said: Allah, Akbar, went to prostrate. In prostration he removed his hands from the body, while his fingers were open. The Prophet sat down on the left leg between two prostrations. He continued, until the last greetings that the Prophet sat and leaned on the left foot. All those ten companions said: You are right! The Prophet's prayer is the same as you said.

https://hawzah.net/fa/Question/View/64114/شیوه-خواندن-نماز-در-زمان-رسول-گرامی-اسلام(ص)

it's not mentioned folding hands

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Abu Abdullah (as) (Ja'far ibn Muhammad) stood upright on the qibla and threw his hands with his fingers on his thighs, placing his legs close to the distance between the three fingers and his fingers stretching all the way to the qiblah, He did not distract from the Qibla, and he was full of humility and humble, so Takbir said, and read Surah al-Hamd and Qul Huvalah Ahad with the Tartill, then he was as exhilarating as he was breathing, and then Tekbir said while standing still He then went to the bosom and laid his two palms with his fingers on the bowl of his knees and laid his knees back until it was flat so that if the diameters water or oil was spilled on his back, because of his right back, it would not go to any side.

Imam assuredly took his neck (in Ruku) and closed his eyes and said three times with the Trinity of Rosary (Sobhan Rabi al-Aziz va bi hamdeh), then he stood upright and, when he was fully uprising, said: "Sama'Allah Leman Hamdah" and after At the same time, the uprising said Takbir and raised his hands to his face, then he went to prostrate, laid his hands before his knees, and said three times: "Sobhan Rebī al-Ala'li and'Abhmada, and (in Sajdah) a member of his body He did not put to the other, and he prostrated himself to eight positions: forehead, two palms, two bowls of knee, two fingers of ambiguity, and nose (placing seven positions in prostrate on earth is obligatory and laying nose on the soil of tradition Which is called Argham). Then he took the head out of prostrate, and when he sat right, Tekbir said, and bent his left foot, sat on it and placed his back behind his right foot on his left foot and said: "أستغفر الله ربي و أتوب إليه", and at the same time He sat in Takbir, and then he made the second prostration like the first prostration, and mentioned the same mention of the prayer in the second prostration, and did not help one another in his body for another member in bowing and prostration, and  his hands stay away from his body like the wings   while he was prostrate. And he did not put his arms on the ground, and thus he made two Rak'ats of prayer.

Then he said: O Hamad, read this prayer, and do not go to prayer in any way, and do not play with your hands and fingers, and dont spot water of mouth to the right and left or before you.

https://www.khabaronline.ir/detail/111737/culture/religion

https://books.rafed.net/view.php?type=c_fbook&b_id=292&page=5

الباب ١٧ فيه ٩ أحاديث

١ ـ الكافي ٣ : ٣٩١ / ١٨ .

(١) التهذيب ٢ : ٣٧٦ / ١٥٦٤ 

[5] . شیخ حرّ عاملی: وسائل الشیعه، 4، باب 1 از ابواب افعال نماز، حدیث 1، و باب 17، 
حدیث 1و2.

[7] . شیخ حرّ عاملی، وسائل الشیعه:4، باب 15 از ابواب قواطع الصّلاة، حدیث 1، 2و 7.

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from Hammad ibn 'Isa who has said the following:

"Abu 'Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, one day asked me, 'Do you know how to perform Salat (prayer) 
properly?' I said, 'I keep the book of Hariz with me in Salat (prayer).' The Imam said, 'Nevermind, O 
Hammad. Stand up and perform Salat (prayer).' The narrator has said, 'I then stood up in his presence, 
facing the direction of Qiblah (Makkah). I began performing Salat (prayer), with Ruku' and Sajdah.' 
He then said, "O Hammad, you do not know how to perform Salat (prayer) properly. It is a shame for a 
man of your people who at the age of sixty or seventy cannot even perform one Salat (prayer) 
according to its complete rules and manners.' Hammad has said, 'I belittled myself very much at this 
point. I then asked him saying, "I pray to Allah to keep my soul in service for your cause teach me 
how to perform Salat (prayer) properly.'" Abu 'Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, stood up straight facing 
the direction of Qiblah. He allowed his hands to rest on his thighs, with his fingers close side by side, 
kept his feet near each other, only leaving between them a distance of three fingers opened up, with 
his toes facing the direction of Qiblah without allowing them to deviate from this direction
and with 
humbleness said, 'Allah is great.' He then recited al-Hamd (the first Chapter of the Holy Quran) with 
clarity and fluency and Chapter 112 of the Holy Quran. He then paused for a breath while still 
standing and raised his hands up to the sides of his face and said, 'Allah is great,' while still standing. 
He then bent down for Ruku' (kneeling). He then placed his palms over his knees allowing them to be 
filled up with his knees that were separate from each other, and pressed them backward until his back 
became so straightly level that even if there had been a drop of water or oil it would not flow to any 
side. He stretched his neck forward, lowered his eyes and then said with clarity and fluency three 
times, 'I praise my Lord, the Great, Who is free of all defects.' He then stood up straight. While 
standing straight he said, 'Allah hears all those who praise Him.' He then while standing raised his 
hands up to the sides of his face and said, 'Allah is great.' Then he bowed down for sajdah. He opened 
his palms with his fingers close side by side, placed them near his knees on the sides next to his face 
and said, 'I praise my Lord, the most High who is free of all defects,' three times. He did not place any 
other part of his body on any other part thereof. He performed sajdah on eight parts of his bones: his 
palms, knees, big toes of his feet, his forehead and his nose. He (the Imam) said, 'Placing seven parts 
of these bones on the ground is obligatory during sajdah but one of them (the nose) is not obligatory. 
This is what Allah has spoken of in the Quran,
"The parts of the body to be placed on the ground 
during sajdah belong to Allah, you then must not worship anyone other than Allah." (72:17) Such parts 
are forehead, palms, knees and big toes of feet. Placing one's nose on the ground is optional.' He then 
raised his head from sajdah. When he sat up straight, he then said, 'Allah is great.' He then sat on his 
left thigh placing the back of his right foot over the sole of his left foot and then said, 'I seek 
forgiveness from Allah, my Lord and turn to Him in repentance.' He then said, 'Allah is great.' Then 
he bowed down for second sajdah, saying therein what he said in the first sajdah. He did not place any 
other part of his body on any other part during Ruku' or sajdah. He spread his elbows and did not place 
his arms on the ground. In this way, he performed two Rak'ats of Salat (prayer). He (the Imam) kept 
the fingers of his hands close side by side when saying the two testimonies in a sitting position.
When 
he finished saying the testimonies, he then read Sal am and said, 'O Hammad, you must perform Salat 
(prayer) like this.'" 

Share...Chapter: 20, Hadith: 4952, Number: 8

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Muhammad ibn 'Isma'il has narrated from al-Fadl ibn Shadhan from Hammad ibn 'Isa from Hariz from Zurarah who has said the following:

"I once asked abu Ja'far, 'Alayhi al-Salam, about what is a sufficient reading in the last two Rak'at. 

He (the Imam) said, 'Say Tasbih (Allah is free of all defects), Tahmid (it is Allah only who deserves 
all praise), Tahlil (no one deserves worship except Allah), and Takhir (Allah is great beyond 
description). Say Takhir (Allah is great beyond description), then assume Ruku'
(bowing down on 
one's knees) position.'" 

Share...Chapter: 24, Hadith: 4988, Number: 2

Abbas or ‘Ayyash b. Sahl as-Sa’idi said that he was present in a meeting which was attended by his father who was one of the companions of the Prophet(ﷺ), Abu Hurairah, Abu Humaid al-Sa’idi and Abu Usaid. He narrated the same tradition with a slight addition or deletion. He said:
He then raised his head after bowing and uttered:”Allah listens to him who praises Him, to Thee, our Lord, be the praise,” and raised his hands. He then uttered: “Allah is most great”; then he prostrated himself and rested on his palms, knees, and the end of his toes while prostrating: then he uttered the Takbir (Allah is most great), and sat down on his hips and raised his other foot; then he uttered the takbir and prostrated himself; then he uttered takbir and stood up, but did not sit on his hips. He (the narrator) then narrated the rest of the tradition. He further said: Then he sat down at the end of two rak’ahs; when he was about to stand after two rak’ahs, he uttered the takbir; then he offered the last two rak’ahs of the prayer. The narrator did not mention about his sitting on the hips spreading out his feet.

حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَدْرٍ، حَدَّثَنِي زُهَيْرٌ أَبُو خَيْثَمَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ الْحُرِّ، حَدَّثَنِي عِيسَى بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَمْرِو بْنِ عَطَاءٍ، أَحَدِ بَنِي مَالِكٍ عَنْ عَبَّاسٍ، - أَوْ عَيَّاشِ - بْنِ سَهْلٍ السَّاعِدِيِّ أَنَّهُ كَانَ فِي مَجْلِسٍ فِيهِ أَبُوهُ وَكَانَ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَفِي الْمَجْلِسِ أَبُو هُرَيْرَةَ وَأَبُو حُمَيْدٍ السَّاعِدِيُّ وَأَبُو أُسَيْدٍ بِهَذَا الْخَبَرِ يَزِيدُ أَوْ يَنْقُصُ قَالَ فِيهِ ثُمَّ رَفَعَ رَأْسَهُ - يَعْنِي مِنَ الرُّكُوعِ - فَقَالَ ‏"‏ سَمِعَ اللَّهُ لِمَنْ حَمِدَهُ اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّنَا لَكَ الْحَمْدُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَرَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ ثُمَّ قَالَ ‏"‏ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ فَسَجَدَ فَانْتَصَبَ عَلَى كَفَّيْهِ وَرُكْبَتَيْهِ وَصُدُورِ قَدَمَيْهِ وَهُوَ سَاجِدٌ ثُمَّ كَبَّرَ فَجَلَسَ فَتَوَرَّكَ وَنَصَبَ قَدَمَهُ الأُخْرَى ثُمَّ كَبَّرَ فَسَجَدَ ثُمَّ كَبَّرَ فَقَامَ وَلَمْ يَتَوَرَّكْ ثُمَّ سَاقَ الْحَدِيثَ قَالَ ثُمَّ جَلَسَ بَعْدَ الرَّكْعَتَيْنِ حَتَّى إِذَا هُوَ أَرَادَ أَنْ يَنْهَضَ لِلْقِيَامِ قَامَ بِتَكْبِيرَةٍ ثُمَّ رَكَعَ الرَّكْعَتَيْنِ الأُخْرَيَيْنِ وَلَمْ يَذْكُرِ التَّوَرُّكَ فِي التَّشَهُّدِ ‏.‏
Grade Da'if (Al-Albani)   ضعيف   (الألباني) حكم     :
Reference  : Sunan Abi Dawud 733
In-book reference  : Book 2, Hadith 343
English translation  : Book 2, Hadith 732
Report Error | Share

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said: The imam is appointed only to be followed; when he says "Allah is most great," say "Allah is most great" and do not say "Allah is most great" until he says "Allah is most great." When he bows; bow; and do not bow until he bows. And when he says "Allah listens to him who praise Him," say "O Allah, our Lord, to Thee be the praise."

The version recorded by Muslim goes: "And to Thee be the praise: And when he prostrate; and do not prostrate until he prostrates. When he prays standing, pray standing, and when he prays sitting, all of you pray sitting.

Abu Dawud said: The words "O Allah, our Lord, to You be the praise" reported by Sulaiman were explained to me by some of our companions.

حَدَّثَنَا سُلَيْمَانُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، وَمُسْلِمُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، - الْمَعْنَى - عَنْ وُهَيْبٍ، عَنْ مُصْعَبِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ إِنَّمَا جُعِلَ الإِمَامُ لِيُؤْتَمَّ بِهِ فَإِذَا كَبَّرَ فَكَبِّرُوا وَلاَ تُكَبِّرُوا حَتَّى يُكَبِّرَ وَإِذَا رَكَعَ فَارْكَعُوا وَلاَ تَرْكَعُوا حَتَّى يَرْكَعَ وَإِذَا قَالَ سَمِعَ اللَّهُ لِمَنْ حَمِدَهُ فَقُولُوا اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّنَا لَكَ الْحَمْدُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ مُسْلِمٌ ‏"‏ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ‏"‏ وَإِذَا سَجَدَ فَاسْجُدُوا وَلاَ تَسْجُدُوا حَتَّى يَسْجُدَ وَإِذَا صَلَّى قَائِمًا فَصَلُّوا قِيَامًا وَإِذَا صَلَّى قَاعِدًا فَصَلُّوا قُعُودًا أَجْمَعُونَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو دَاوُدَ ‏"‏ اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّنَا لَكَ الْحَمْدُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ أَفْهَمَنِي بَعْضُ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ سُلَيْمَانَ ‏.‏
Grade Sahih (Al-Albani)   صحيح   (الألباني) حكم     :
Reference  : Sunan Abi Dawud 603
In-book reference  : Book 2, Hadith 213
English translation

: Book 2, Hadith 603

Al-Bara who is not a liar said; when they (the companions) raised their heads from bowing along with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), they would stand up, and when they saw him that he went down in prostration, they would prostrate (following the prophet).

حَدَّثَنَا حَفْصُ بْنُ عُمَرَ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ عَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ يَزِيدَ الْخَطْمِيَّ، يَخْطُبُ النَّاسَ قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا الْبَرَاءُ، - وَهُوَ غَيْرُ كَذُوبٍ - أَنَّهُمْ كَانُوا إِذَا رَفَعُوا رُءُوسَهُمْ مِنَ الرُّكُوعِ مَعَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَامُوا قِيَامًا فَإِذَا رَأَوْهُ قَدْ سَجَدَ سَجَدُوا ‏.‏
Grade Sahih (Al-Albani)   صحيح   (الألباني)

حكم     :

Wa’il b. Hujr said:
I came to the Prophet(ﷺ) during winter; I saw his companions raise their hands in their clothes in prayer.

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ الأَنْبَارِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، عَنْ شَرِيكٍ، عَنْ عَاصِمِ بْنِ كُلَيْبٍ، عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ بْنِ وَائِلٍ، عَنْ وَائِلِ بْنِ حُجْرٍ، قَالَ أَتَيْتُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي الشِّتَاءِ فَرَأَيْتُ أَصْحَابَهُ يَرْفَعُونَ أَيْدِيَهُمْ فِي ثِيَابِهِمْ فِي الصَّلاَةِ ‏.‏
Reference  : Sunan Abi Dawud 729
In-book reference  : Book 2, Hadith 339
English translation  : Book 2, Hadith 728
Report Error | Share

Abu Humaid al-Sa’idi once told a company of ten of the companions of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) ; Abu Qatadah was one of them:
I am one among you who is more informed of the way the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prayed. They said: Why, By Allah, you did not follow him more than us, nor did you remain in his company longer than us? He said: Yes. They said: Then describe (how the Prophet prayed). He said: When the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) stood up to pray, he raised his hands so as to bring them opposite his shoulders, and uttered the takbir (Allah is the most great), until every bone rested in its place properly: then re recited (some verses from the Quran); then he uttered the takbir (Allah is most great), raising his hands so as to bring them opposite his shoulders; then he bowed; placing the palms of his hands on his knees and keeping himself straight, neither raising nor lowering his head; then raised his head saying: “Allah listens to him who praise Him”; then raised his hands so as to bring them exactly opposite to his shoulders; then uttered: “Allah is most great”; then lowered himself to the ground (in prostration), keeping his arms away from his sides; then raised his head, bent his left foot and sat on it, and opened the toes when he prostrated: then he uttered: “Allah is most great”; then raised his head, bent his left foot and sat on it so that every bone returned to its place properly; then he did the same in the second (rak’ah). At the end of the two Rak’ahs he stood up and uttered the takbir (Allah is most great), raising his hands so as to bring them opposite to his shoulders; then he bowed, placing the palms of his hands on his knees and keeping himself straight, neither raising or lowering his head: then raised his head saying: “Allah listens to him who praises Him”; then raised his hands so as to bring them exactly opposite his shoulders; then uttered: “Allah is most great”; then lowered himself to the ground (in prostration), keeping his arms away from his sides; then raised his head, bent his left foot and sat on it, and opened the toes when he prostrated himself; then he prostrated; then uttered: “Allah is most great”; then raised his head, bent his left foot and sat on it so that every bone returned to its place properly; then he did the same in the second (rak’ah). At the end of two rak’ahs he stood up and uttered the takbir (Allah is most great), raising his hands so as to bring them opposite to his shoulders in the way he had uttered the Takbir (Allah is most great) at the beginning of the prayer; then he did that in the remainder of his prayer; and after prostration which if followed by the taslim (salutation) he out his left foot and sat on his left hip. They said: You have spoken the truth. This is how he(peace be upon him) used to pray.

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ حَنْبَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو عَاصِمٍ الضَّحَّاكُ بْنُ مَخْلَدٍ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، - وَهَذَا حَدِيثُ أَحْمَدَ قَالَ - أَخْبَرَنَا عَبْدُ الْحَمِيدِ، - يَعْنِي ابْنَ جَعْفَرٍ - أَخْبَرَنِي مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَمْرِو بْنِ عَطَاءٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا حُمَيْدٍ السَّاعِدِيَّ، فِي عَشْرَةٍ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم مِنْهُمْ أَبُو قَتَادَةَ قَالَ أَبُو حُمَيْدٍ أَنَا أَعْلَمُكُمْ بِصَلاَةِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏.‏ قَالُوا فَلِمَ فَوَاللَّهِ مَا كُنْتَ بِأَكْثَرِنَا لَهُ تَبَعًا وَلاَ أَقْدَمَنَا لَهُ صُحْبَةً ‏.‏ قَالَ بَلَى ‏.‏ قَالُوا فَاعْرِضْ ‏.‏ قَالَ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم إِذَا قَامَ إِلَى الصَّلاَةِ يَرْفَعُ يَدَيْهِ حَتَّى يُحَاذِيَ بِهِمَا مَنْكِبَيْهِ ثُمَّ يُكَبِّرُ حَتَّى يَقِرَّ كُلُّ عَظْمٍ فِي مَوْضِعِهِ مُعْتَدِلاً ثُمَّ يَقْرَأُ ثُمَّ يُكَبِّرُ فَيَرْفَعُ يَدَيْهِ حَتَّى يُحَاذِيَ بِهِمَا مَنْكِبَيْهِ ثُمَّ يَرْكَعُ وَيَضَعُ رَاحَتَيْهِ عَلَى رُكْبَتَيْهِ ثُمَّ يَعْتَدِلُ فَلاَ يَصُبُّ رَأْسَهُ وَلاَ يُقْنِعُ ثُمَّ يَرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ فَيَقُولُ ‏"‏ سَمِعَ اللَّهُ لِمَنْ حَمِدَهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ يَرْفَعُ يَدَيْهِ حَتَّى يُحَاذِيَ بِهِمَا مَنْكِبَيْهِ مُعْتَدِلاً ثُمَّ يَقُولُ ‏"‏ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ يَهْوِي إِلَى الأَرْضِ فَيُجَافِي يَدَيْهِ عَنْ جَنْبَيْهِ ثُمَّ يَرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ وَيَثْنِي رِجْلَهُ الْيُسْرَى فَيَقْعُدُ عَلَيْهَا وَيَفْتَحُ أَصَابِعَ رِجْلَيْهِ إِذَا سَجَدَ وَيَسْجُدُ ثُمَّ يَقُولُ ‏"‏ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَيَرْفَعُ رَأْسَهُ وَيَثْنِي رِجْلَهُ الْيُسْرَى فَيَقْعُدُ عَلَيْهَا حَتَّى يَرْجِعَ كُلُّ عَظْمٍ إِلَى مَوْضِعِهِ ثُمَّ يَصْنَعُ فِي الأُخْرَى مِثْلَ ذَلِكَ ثُمَّ إِذَا قَامَ مِنَ الرَّكْعَتَيْنِ كَبَّرَ وَرَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ حَتَّى يُحَاذِيَ بِهِمَا مَنْكِبَيْهِ كَمَا كَبَّرَ عِنْدَ افْتِتَاحِ الصَّلاَةِ ثُمَّ يَصْنَعُ ذَلِكَ فِي بَقِيَّةِ صَلاَتِهِ حَتَّى إِذَا كَانَتِ السَّجْدَةُ الَّتِي فِيهَا التَّسْلِيمُ أَخَّرَ رِجْلَهُ الْيُسْرَى وَقَعَدَ مُتَوَرِّكًا عَلَى شِقِّهِ الأَيْسَرِ ‏.‏ قَالُوا صَدَقْتَ هَكَذَا كَانَ يُصَلِّي صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏.‏

Reference  : Sunan Abi Dawud 730
In-book reference  : Book 2, Hadith 340
English translation

: Book 2, Hadith 729

http://www.masjidtaqwa.org/pdfs/dawud.pdf

https://sunnah.com/abudawud/2            you can see that how much prophet (saaws) is near to what Imam Sadiq (as) did in later post.without folded hands and turning away his head & not saying Ameen.

Share...Chapter: 20, Hadith: 4952, Number: 8

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said: The Jews were split up into seventy-one or seventy-two sects; and the Christians were split up into seventy one or seventy-two sects; and my community will be split up into seventy-three sects.

حَدَّثَنَا وَهْبُ بْنُ بَقِيَّةَ، عَنْ خَالِدٍ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ افْتَرَقَتِ الْيَهُودُ عَلَى إِحْدَى أَوْ ثِنْتَيْنِ وَسَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً وَتَفَرَّقَتِ النَّصَارَى عَلَى إِحْدَى أَوْ ثِنْتَيْنِ وَسَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً وَتَفْتَرِقُ أُمَّتِي عَلَى ثَلاَثٍ وَسَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade Hasan Sahih (Al-Albani)   حسن صحيح   (الألباني) حكم     :
Reference  : Sunan Abi Dawud 4596
In-book reference  : Book 42, Hadith 1
English translation  : Book 41, Hadith 4579
Report Error | Share

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Assalamu alaikum

I am new here, and I have some comments and questions regarding the answers above please: 

I. Regarding the Issue of the Folding of Hands:

The hadith from Sunan Abu Dwud was quoted to prove that the folding of the hands is not a Sunnah, but there are other hadiths that prove it is. For instance:

Abu Dawood (726) and al-Nasaa’i (889) narrated that Waa’il ibn Hujr said: I said: I am going to watch how the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prays. So I watched him, and he stood and said takbeer, raising his hands until they were level with his ears. Then he placed his right hand on his left hand, wrist and forearm… 

[Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood]

Al-Nasaa’i (88) narrated that Waa’il ibn Hujr (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he was standing in prayer; he clasped his right hand over his left. 

[Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sifat Salaat al-Nabi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (The Prophet’s Prayer Described) p. 68: 

He would place his right hand over the back of his left hand, wrist and forearm, and he told his companions to do likewise. Sometimes he would clasp his right hand over his left, and place them on his chest.

https://islamqa.info/en/41675

II. Regarding Combining the Prayers 

Can we take the issue of combining the prayers during Hajj as a proof that the prayers can be combined any time? Hajj is a special case of travelling when combining the prayers is possible for travellers of long distance (approx. 80 kilometres, I think). 

III. Regarding What Is Said in Bowing and Prostration 

I see in the long hadith quoted above that what is said in bowing and prostration is three times the following:

'I praise my Lord, the Great, Who is free of all defects.' 
 'I praise my Lord, the most High who is free of all defects' 

What is this exactly in Arabic, please? And why are these videos different then? They are different from each other and also different from what is mentioned in the above quoted long hadith.

IV. Regarding What Is Said in Jalsa

What exactly do the Shiaa say in the last part after rising from the second prostration as again what is in the hadith above is different from what is said in these two videos?

V. Why is the final tasleem said while facing forward and what are the three last "Allah Akbar"s based on?

VI. Do the Shiaa say tasbeehs then only instead of the suras in the third and fourth rak'aahs of the prayers?

VII. What is 'Takhir' (Allah is great beyond description) in Arabic, please?

Jazakum Allah khair in advance for your reply.

Salam

Jazakum Allah khai

Salam

I. Folding hands is stated from time of second caliph after conquering Iran even at time of first caliph there is no record of folding hands according That first caliph didn’t change any Sunnah so if folding hands was sunnah at time of first caliph it was be practiced but nowhere it is recorded so hadiths about folding hands suffer from fabrication.

Il. It is a special occasions & place and prayer is full as home so combining prayer applicable as home .

My father would tell me to becareful from Shias (daughter of Sunni Imam converts to shia Islam,she talks about combining prayer)

https://youtu.be/GNam1PAQO4Y

III.what is said three times is not obligatory & can be every short saying in praise of Allah & prophet (pbu) 

the main saying in boing is سبحان ربی العظیم بحمده 

In prostration سبحان ربی الاعلی وبحمده 

IV.بحول الله وقوته اقم واقعد   The above Hadith is most complete form with non obligatory parts &these form also approved 

V. It is exactly what prophet (saws) & Imam Sadiq (as) did it they never turn around their head until they finished their prayer in Hadiths above they do not move their head to other sides. Three “Allah Akbar” is for announcing of prayer & is not obligatory 

Vi. In Shia way if you can  recite Surah but saying tase Ehsan  is-advised & more common 

VII. Takhir: سبحان الله والحمدلله ولا اله الا الله و الله اکبر

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

The Shi'a and the Sunni prayer only differ in very few things, but they are quite similar generally speaking. The Maliki's pray with their hands down just like the Shi'as, and I heard that's because Malik ibn Anas believed that's how the people of Medina used to pray during the Prophet's (s) days.

Many of the things you hear or see in a Shi'a Salah are Mustahab and not wajib. Let me list down the wajib parts in the Shi'a prayer only, which is the bare minimum of what one can say and do in a prayer. It will also make it easier for you when comparing it to the Sunni prayer.

Starting the prayer: Make your intention and recite the Takbeer al Ihram (Allaahu Akbar),

1st & 2nd Rakat: Recite the Fatiha, then recite any Surah from the Quran (It cannot be a verse in a Surah, it must be a full Surah), then perform Ruku' and recite three dhikrs of Allah, stand back up without saying anything then go back down to perform Sujoud, in Sujoud you recite three dhikrs of Allah, then rise and sit, then perform sujoud the second time and recite three dhikrs of Allah, then rise and sit again.

3rd & 4th Rakat: It's the same thing as 1st and 2nd Rak'at, but you don't recite a Surah from the Quran after reciting the Fatiha, you just move to Ruku' right after you finish the Fatiha. Saying Subhanallah Wal Hamdulillah Wala illaha illalah wallaho Akbar 3x times is more recommended than reciting the Fatiha, but it's not wajib to say it.

Tashahhud: "Ash hadu allaa ilaaha illalah, Wahdahu laa Shareekalah, Wa Ash hadu anna Mohammadan 'Abdahu Wa Rasoolaho, Allahuma Sali 'Ala Mohamad Wa Aali Mohammad."

Tasleem: "Asalamu Alaykum"

Prostration: You must prostrate on something natural.

Anything that's added to the above is either Mustahab or a bid'ah (innovation). The three takbeers to end your prayer is a bid'ah.

To answer your question on what basis do we offer prayer, it's all in our Hadith books. Everything that's Mustahab or wajib, major or minor details in prayer are there, and we do not make anything wajib in prayer unless we have hard evidence for it. When it comes to fiqhi matters, especially in prayer, the hadiths are looked VERY closely by our scholars.

Thank you brothers for your responses. I am particularly keen to pray exactly as Prophet Muhammad (saaws) prayed without any innovation. I do not believe that he prayed on a turbah; therefore, I see it as an innovation.

"Anything that's added to the above is either Mustahab or a bid'ah (innovation). The three takbeers to end your prayer is a bid'ah." Thank you, brother Hassan, this is a perfect example of what I want to avoid.

26 minutes ago, MustafaMc said:

Thank you brothers for your responses. I am particularly keen to pray exactly as Prophet Muhammad (saaws) prayed without any innovation. I do not believe that he prayed on a turbah; therefore, I see it as an innovation.

Based on the narrations in Sahih Bukhari and Shi’a books, the Prophet (s) only prostrated on the Earth. Do you believe this is true? If you do, do you admit that prostrating on anything but the earth is an innovation?

2 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Based on the narrations in Sahih Bukhari and Shi’a books, the Prophet (s) only prostrated on the Earth. Do you believe this is true? If you do, do you admit that prostrating on anything but the earth is an innovation?

I see that having the intention specifically of prostrating on a Turbah as an added part of salah while I see that prostrating on carpet as having no religious significance due to it just being a inconsequential floor covering. However, I also see that making salah on a personal prayer rug is similarly an added part of salah that was not practiced by Prophet Muhammad (saaws).

wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah

Thank you so much for the helpful responses. This clarifies matters, and indeed makes the Sunni and Shiaa ways very close. The basic difference is in the very last part.

I truly appreciate the answers.

Jazakum Allah khairan.

3 hours ago, MustafaMc said:

"Anything that's added to the above is either Mustahab or a bid'ah (innovation). The three takbeers to end your prayer is a bid'ah." Thank you, brother Hassan, this is a perfect example of what I want to avoid.

Salam Three takbeers is not a part of prayer also it is a mustahab act which depends on you to do it or not so it is not a bid'ah

17 minutes ago, MustafaMc said:

I see that having the intention specifically of prostrating on a Turbah as an added part of salah while I see that prostrating on carpet as having no religious significance due to it just being a inconsequential floor covering. However, I also see that making salah on a personal prayer rug is similarly an added part of salah that was not practiced by Prophet Muhammad (saaws).

Also prophet (sawws) was putting his head on Khumrah which was like turbah

using rug is just for mobility that we became sure that we access to a Tahir place for praying also prophet(pbu) was praying on what made from leafs of palm or earth because all of them came from earth but current rugs used after conquering of Iran during time of second caliph & it was a luxury object which becme popular after second caliph as time of third caliph using of golden plates for eating food became popular but it was not comon among shias & we put a turbah on rug to have access to a peace of earth .:einstein: so the shia way is original way of prophet people of that time were so ignorant that they do Friday prayer behind Muawiah (la) at Wedensday that he was source of many bida'ah except folding hands & Tarawih prayer.

http://www.shia.org/aboutprayers.htm

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/laws-practices-why-do-shiah-prostrate-turbah

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Three takbeers is not a part of prayer also it is a mustahab act which depends on you to do it or not so it is not a bid'ah

Also prophet (sawws) was putting his head on Khumrah which was like turbah

using rug is just for mobility that we became sure that we access to a Tahir place for praying also prophet(pbu) was praying on what made from leafs of palm or earth because all of them came from earth but current rugs used after conquering of Iran during time of second caliph & it was a luxury object which becme popular after second caliph as time of third caliph using of golden plates for eating food became popular but it was not comon among shias & we put a turbah on rug to have access to a peace of earth .:einstein: so the shia way is original way of prophet people of that time were so ignorant that they do Friday prayer behind Muawiah (la) at Wedensday that he was source of many bida'ah except folding hands & Tarawih prayer.

http://www.shia.org/aboutprayers.htm

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/laws-practices-why-do-shiah-prostrate-turbah

Thank you for your reply. If one considers that the prayer ends with Salams, then the three Allahu Akbar come after the salah. If it is recommended, then there should be no harm in not doing that. I understand that one says "Assalamu alaika ayuha Nabi, wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu. Assalamu alaina ibadelihi salaheen" silently and then "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu" audibly only once looking straight ahead to end the prayer.

I am still not seeing the necessity of prostrating on a Turbah. Is it not using ones reasoning to deduce this necessity when there is no hadith where we were instructed to do so? Do all Shi'as carry one of these around with them so they can prostrate their forehead on it even in the Masjid? Would I be frowned upon for visiting a Shi'a Masjid/Mosque for salah and not having one? By the way, I know of no Shi'a Masjid within at least an 8 hour drive.

Would not a simple cotton throw rug be considered as being "from the earth"?

"The Prophet declared that the best place for prostration was the earth, or upon something that grows from the earth."

17 minutes ago, MustafaMc said:

instructed to do so? Do all Shi'as carry one of these around with them so they can prostrate their forehead on it even in the Masjid? Would I be frowned upon for visiting a Shi'a Masjid/Mosque for salah and not having one? By the way, I know of no Shi'a Masjid within at least an 8 hour drive.

Salam shia masjid  hold a bunch of Turbahs inside mosques so there is no need to carry it with yourself .

45 minutes ago, MustafaMc said:

Would not a simple cotton throw rug be considered as being "from the earth"?

"The Prophet declared that the best place for prostration was the earth, or upon something that grows from the earth."

If you are sure that simple cotton is comes from earth you can prostrate on it ,reason of using Turbahs is because of more reward & nearness to ahlulbayt (as) the Turbahs made from dust of earth near to shrines of Ahlulbayt  (as) specialy Karbala ,Mashhad &recent Kazemein (Samera in Iraq)

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

On 3/14/2018 at 7:50 AM, MustafaMc said:

Should we not follow the way that Prophet Muhammad (saaws) prayed as closely as humanly possible?

Salam

Actually, praying on a turbah without hands folded is the way the Prophet saaw prayed. Sunnis follow Omar in folding the hands... And as for ameen, where did that come from? Can you find anything hadeeth or quran that talks about this word to be put at the end?

The sunnah is relative to the beliefs... if we believed that the Prophet saaw prayed like that then we would pray like that.

Edited by kirtc

14 hours ago, MustafaMc said:

My dear brother, I think you have misunderstood the meaning of Bid'ah. Adding things in salah may or may not be bid'ah, it depends on the intention of the person before we can decide. When you add something in salah, it must not be with the intention that it's a wajib act, or else this would be a bid'ah. One can add something in salah so long as his intention is it's not a wajib act in salah, and it doesn't contradict the wajib acts of the salah. I'll give you a few examples:

1. If someone prostrates on a turbah with the intention that it's wajib to do so, this is a bid'ah. But if he prostrates on a turbah with the intention that it's mustahab to prostrate on it because it's made from the earth and it's a sunnah to prostrate on the earth, this is not a bid'ah.

2. If someone prays on a rug with the intention that it's wajib to do so. this is a bid'ah. But if he is working outdoors and places a rug on the ground to pray on with the intention of not making his clothes or body dirty, this is not a bid'ah.

3. If someone prostrates on a piece of fabric because prostrating on the earth will make his forehead dirty, this is a bid'ah. Although his intention wasn't that prostrating on a fabric is obligatory, but it's contradicting the wajib act of salah which is to prostrate only on something natural. When something contradicts the wajib acts of salah, no matter what your intention is it will be invalid. For example, If one wants to pray the Mughrib as 4 rak'at with the intention to worship Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى longer, the salah will be invalid.

If adding things in salah is a bid'ah, then how come the Prophet (s) used to add a piece of khumra to prostrate on? In the case of a turbah, it's really not any different than what the Prophet (s) used to do. Instead of praying outside in the mud just so we can prostrate on the earth, we Shi'as decided that it would be more convenient to take that mud, dry it up into a piece of clay and use it to prostrate on it anywhere we go. This way we follow the sunnah of the Prophet (s) by prostrating on earth, and if adding things on an inconsequential floor is wrong then the Prophet (s) putting khumra to prostrate on is also wrong?

Here is one hadith narrated in the books Sunan al Kubrah, Al Isabah & Usd ul Ghaaba, of when the Prophet (s) saw a Sahabi prostrate on his turban, he (s) told him to remove it:

أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ رَأَى رَجُلاً يَسْجُدُ بِجَنْبِهِ ، وَقَدْ أَعْتَمَ عَلَى جَبْهَتِهِ ، فَحَسَرَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ عَنْ جَبْهَتِهِ.

“The Apostle of Allah saw a man prostrate next to Him and his (man’s) forehead was covered, so the Apostle of Allah uncovered his (man’s) forehead”

A prominent scholar Masruq ibn al-Ajda' born in the year 682, some say he fought along Imam Ali (as) in one of his battles, used to carry a piece of tablet wherever he went just so he can prostrate on it during salah, was recorded in the book Tabaqat Ibn Sa`ad:

“Muhammad narrates that Masruq used to keep a raw brick with him and used to prostrate on in it during journey on boats”

the famous companion of Prophet (s) Jabir bin Abdullah used to add pebbles on the ground to prostrate on, it is narrated in Sunan al-Nisa’i, Sunan al-Bayhaqi & Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal

“Jabir Ibn Abdullah reported : We were praying with Messenger of Allah at noon (dhuher prayer) so I held pebbles in my palm to make it cold then switch it to my other palm and when I prostrate I put them down for my forehead”

We also see that Sa’id Ibn Al Mussayab, one of the most prominent Sunni scholars from Medina, born in the year 642 during the Prophet's and the caliphs era, said the following in the book Tabaqat Ibn Sa`ad:

أخبرنا قتادة قال سألت سعيد بن المسيب عن الصلاة على الطنفسة فقال محدث

“I asked Sa’id Ibn Al Mussayyib about praying on carpets. He said ‘It is something new’.”

The Sahabi Abdullah Ibn Masud was a companion of the Prophet (s), he said the following in Majma’ al-Zawa’id:

وعن أبي عبيدة أن ابن مسعود كان لا يصلي أو لا يسجد إلا على الأرض‏.‏

“Abu Ubaidah narrates that the companion Ibn Mas’ud never prayed or prostrated except on the soil”

I can show you so many hadiths, but you get the point. I hope I explained it to you properly dear brother.

Edited by Hassan-