Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Semanta

Makeup

Rate this topic

Makeup to hide blemishes and or uneven skin tone and as to not draw attention is permissible from what I've read. 

According to Sayed Ali al-Sistani (ha):

Question: Is it permissible for a woman to go out of her house for some errands perfumed, with the fragrance of her perfume reaching non-mahram men?
Answer: She ought not do that. It is not permissible if it tempts a non-mahram man or normally causes him excitement.

Question: It is normal these days for a woman to put on mascara and make-up, wear rings, necklaces and bracelets for beauty and then go out in front of people in the markets and streets.
Answer: This is not permissible for her except for mascara and rings provided that she is safe from falling into forbidden activities and does not intend by it to excite non-mahram men.

8 minutes ago, Ali-F said:

Question: Is it permissible for a woman to go out of her house for some errands perfumed, with the fragrance of her perfume reaching non-mahram men?
Answer: She ought not do that. It is not permissible if it tempts a non-mahram man or normally causes him excitement.

Question: It is normal these days for a woman to put on mascara and make-up, wear rings, necklaces and bracelets for beauty and then go out in front of people in the markets and streets.
Answer: This is not permissible for her except for mascara and rings provided that she is safe from falling into forbidden activities and does not intend by it to excite non-mahram men.

Not everyone’s marja is Sistani. Why not state the fatwas of other ayatollahs? 

56 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Not everyone’s marja is Sistani. Why not state the fatwas of other ayatollahs? 

There is not too much difference between them in this issue.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

16 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

There is not too much difference between them in this issue.

Some marjas allow woman to use foundation to coverup uneven skin tone and blemishes. Some marjas say that some makeup is allowed (light and no bold colors) as to not attract the opposite gender. That's very different from Sistani who believes that foundation (for the purpose of evening out skin tone) is haram and not permissible. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

44 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Some marjas allow woman to use foundation to coverup uneven skin tone and blemishes. Some marjas say that some makeup is allowed (light and no bold colors) as to not attract the opposite gender. That's very different from Sistani who believes that foundation (for the purpose of evening out skin tone) is haram and not permissible. 

Salam Sistani said it not permissible not Haram if you read above post carefully the base of Fatwas is that is not permissible & their differences are in degree of makeup.

3 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Could someone explain the difference between Haram and not permissible?

Not permissible means it’s not allowed with high caution جایز نیست

Haram :completely not allowed except in emergencies.حرام

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Mubah

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

2 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Not permissible means it’s not allowed with high caution جایز نیست

Haram :completely not allowed except in emergencies.حرام

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Mubah

You are wrong brother, 'impermissible' and 'haram' are both the same.

Imam Khamenei:

Q 51: What is the difference between the terms ‘impermissible’ and ‘ḥarām’? 
A: Practically, there is no difference between them.

http://leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam?sn=5243

8 hours ago, Ali-F said:

So we are able to put mascara and eyeliner but not like think about doing it for a non mahram or anything like that right?? Because I do put mascara and eyeliner but I don’t do it for the non mahram men.. I do it because I want to look nice for myself... even if I’m out.. 

42 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

You are wrong brother, 'impermissible' and 'haram' are both the same.

Imam Khamenei:

Q 51: What is the difference between the terms ‘impermissible’ and ‘ḥarām’? 
A: Practically, there is no difference between them.

http://leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam?sn=5243

Then why use the word impermissible?

Just now, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Then why use the word impermissible?

The word 'haram' is Arabic and when it's translated into English along with the whole Fatwa, you will get words like Impermissible or the like.

37 minutes ago, Semanta said:

So we are able to put mascara and eyeliner but not like think about doing it for a non mahram or anything like that right?? Because I do put mascara and eyeliner but I don’t do it for the non mahram men.. I do it because I want to look nice for myself... even if I’m out.. 

Well the reason why is because men used to put on eyeliner and mascara during the time of the prophet and Imams. Supposedly it was to make men look more fierce in battle and was considered manly back then. 

But then women picked up on the trend. And started putting it on for in theory similar reasons to men, but in practice turned out to be more of a source of fitna than when men used to wear it. Perhaps because when women beautify themselves men envision sexual denotstions to her beauty. But when men look manly women dont tend to sexualize such men nearly to the same degree men sexualize beautiful women. 

Sister, there is no such thing as "I want to look nice for myself". Else you are a narcissist. Instead you want to look nice for others, and the positive attention you get from this further validates you.

And the reason why I know this? Because if you hypothetically lived in a society where instead people who put on mascara and eye-liner were viewed as ugly, then you sure as heck wouldn't dare touch mascara and eye-liner. Instead you would just happen to put on whatever make up this society considered beautiful "for yourself". 

Men's fashion is determined the same way. It is no small coincidence that the sleek black and white suits that men wear, women happen to find look "proffesonal" and make the man more "handsome-looking". The further irony is that almost all men are aware of this and take pride in the fact that the way they dress impresses the ladies. Or at least they try to. 

20 hours ago, Semanta said:

Salam Alyikom is it  permissible to wear makeup outside the house or anywhere you go? 

Hi I'm not sure about it's permissibility but I don't find it harmful in wearing outside the house  its just a daily wear to look and feel good, and by wearing it I never found any at least (Westerners) looking at me as a prey to hunt or jump on me or even passing a witty comment that would disrespect whole Me. Rather I find My own muslim people (majority of them) passing such comments and starring with full gaze to an extent that I feel as if I am with no clothes On. 

26 minutes ago, Guest Account Ali said:

Sister, there is no such thing as "I want to look nice for myself". Else you are a narcissist. Instead you want to look nice for others, and the positive attention you get from this further validates you.

I want to look nice for myself. That’s why I wear foundation. The vessels on my skin burst very easily and therefore, I coverup the redness because I hate seeing my skin in that condition. Also, I naturally have dark circles and want to even them out. Nothing wrong with that. It’s not narcissistic. Most people don’t have these skin issues, so are you really suggesting that someone with acne, as an example, does not even out her skin tone if it makes her feel better (when others have better skin) just because of what men think? My one friend has terrible acne, and uses foundation to hide the redness. 

Woman wearing light makeup (meaning not noticeable or just barely) never receive attention from men. It’s only when colors are bold and obvious that someone might comment.

1 hour ago, Semanta said:

I have read somewhere that mascara is an incorrect translation and what is really meant is kohl which is the black stuff people put around there eyes and I think there are Hadith about it being beneficial for eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Be Human First said:

Hi I'm not sure about it's permissibility but I don't find it harmful in wearing outside the house  its just a daily wear to look and feel good, and by wearing it I never found any at least (Westerners) looking at me as a prey to hunt or jump on me or even passing a witty comment that would disrespect whole Me. Rather I find My own muslim people (majority of them) passing such comments and starring with full gaze to an extent that I feel as if I am with no clothes On. 

That's because western men would much rather look at the girl with a tank top on and short shorts, combined with clown makeup as opposed to you. Lol. Not saying you are ugly, but that for them mascara and eye-liner is child's play to them. 

For them, mascara and eye-liner just aren't enough, they need more stimulation than that. 

Muslim men haven't been desensitized yet (rightfully so and I hope we don't) so they tend react to such beautification more strongly. 

Edited by Guest Account Ali

I think what men think of as “makeup” is different from what sisters think.

When men think of a woman with makeup, they are most likely picturing someone with a clown face. What woman mean by makeup is the “no-makeup” or natural look. 

As an example, guys will often say that they like girls without makeup, then show pictures of girls who are wearing light makeup (meaning not noticeable.)

These are just examples of the differences in how men and woman see makeup.

11 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I want to look nice for myself. That’s why I wear foundation. The vessels on my skin burst very easily and therefore, I coverup the redness because I hate seeing my skin in that condition. Also, I naturally have dark circles and want to even them out. Nothing wrong with that. It’s not narcissistic. Most people don’t have these skin issues, so are you really suggesting that someon with acne, as an example, does not even out her skin tone if it makes her feel better (when others have better skin) just because of what men think? My one friend has terrible acne, and uses foundation to hide the redness. 

Woman wearing light makeup (meaning not noticeable or just barely) never receive attention from men. It’s only when colors are bold and obvious that someone might comment.

@Sisterfatima1

Okay, so then when you slip into a pair of comfy pajamas and are relaxing at home, do you put on makeup? If it really is for yourself, then I would expect you to wear makeup at home.

But clearly you don't. You ONLY put it on when you go outside. Why outside and not at home?

9 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

I have read somewhere that mascara is an incorrect translation and what is really meant is kohl which is the black stuff people put around there eyes and I think there are Hadith about it being beneficial for eyes. 

Mascara is for the eyelashes to make them long and Khul is eyeliner around the eyes 

Just now, Islandsandmirrors said:

When men think of a woman with makeup, they are most likely picturing someone with a clown face. What woman mean by makeup is the “no-makeup” or natural look. 

As an example, guys will often say that they like girls without makeup, then show pictures of girls who are wearing light makeup (meaning not noticeable.)

The foundation I wear isn’t even makeup they call it tinted moisturiser 

5 minutes ago, Be Human First said:

I'm not 100% on this belief but I sense to a very great extent that our Men are Insecured about their women and has no confidence on her, They belief in borrowed cultural thoughts and never try  to even have a minute amount of faith and belief in Her. They never ever tried to know  HOW A WOMAN feels, or what is her depth of love and respect for her man. By Dominating and restricting her using religion and ahadees further only weakens one's relations Because a RELATIONSHIP made of trust and hoesty never needs any other medium to grow through. 

If one decides to betray or play the game then he/she would do it regardless of being religious, god fearing or what so ever. 

Character and nature of human being is the way it is and nothing can change it and even if it does its on a very small numbers and very rare.

Listen guys I know everyone has their own opinions but I REALLY want to know ... I just want to know if I’m allowed to put mascara and eyeliner outside... I mean seriously come on have you seen on Instagram how girls put tooo much makeup? The makeup I put is nothing just little.. 

29 minutes ago, Semanta said:

Listen guys I know everyone has their own opinions but I REALLY want to know ... I just want to know if I’m allowed to put mascara and eyeliner outside... I mean seriously come on have you seen on Instagram how girls put tooo much makeup? The makeup I put is nothing just little.. 

Try putting that make up on at home and nowhere Else? You know, like how the sunnah reccomends?

The sunnah isn't anti makeup. It is anti putting on make up in PUBLIC. At home, it is a blessing for a woman to beautify herself for her mahram and her mahrams eyes only. 

Just as how I like to ask myself if my behavior is acceptable to the Imams (AS) and the prophet (PBUH). Same thing, how would Hazrat Fatima (SA) view such decisions? 

Now there are many things I do that the prophet and the Imams would not approve of. And I get to use this a way for me to reject such behaviors I do. I suggest you do the same as well. 

3 minutes ago, Guest Account Ali said:

@Sisterfatima1

Okay, so then when you slip into a pair of comfy pajamas and are relaxing at home, do you put on makeup? If it really is for yourself, then I would expect you to wear makeup at home.

But clearly you don't. You ONLY put it on when you go outside. Why outside and not at home?

Nope I don’t lol when I’m chilled at home I’m really chilling 

a tinted moisturiser is a moisturiser that has a tiny tint to cover any blemish a woman may have it’s not really a foundation or make up 

8 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Correct. But not in the way you think. Men want to and the sunnah approves of men possessing his womenfolks beauty to himself. 

That means what husbands want is to see their wives putting on makeup for them in the privacy of their home vs. In public. For men, the former is a blessing from Allah, and the latter is a curse. 

5 minutes ago, Sisterfatima1 said:

Nope I don’t lol when I’m chilled at home I’m really chilling 

a tinted moisturiser is a moisturiser that has a tiny tint to cover any blemish a woman may have it’s not really a foundation or make up 

So then you don't put it on for yourself. Simple. 

11 minutes ago, Sisterfatima1 said:

Alright brothers do you wear PERFUME

what if your attracting women with your perfume are you doing haram wearing perfume 

We follow the prophets sunnah. That is he wore perfume so much there is a hadith that narrates that the prophet (PBUH) would be remembered posthumously by the perfume he used to wear. And if I were to venture to guess, I would say that the prophets perfume probably smelled the best, at least compared to the stuff that is made nowadays. 

But as for the women of the Ahlul-Bayt bayt... Yeah no, they did not wear perfume in PUBLIC nor did they reccomend women to wear perfume in PUBLIC. 

As a woman, you should have no issue in explaining why there is a discrepancy between these two opposing practices. 

Now of course I ain't trying to say that I follow the sunnah perfectly. But I do try and point these things out. 

5 minutes ago, Guest Account Ali said:

We follow the prophets sunnah. That is he wore perfume so much there is a hadith that narrates that the prophet (PBUH) would be remembered posthumously by the perfume he used to wear. 

But as for the women of the Ahlul-Bayt bayt... it wasn't the same thing. 

So  if I’m wearing a moisturiser I’m doing haram show me the fatwa that says it’s haram

Edited by Sisterfatima1

14 minutes ago, Guest Account Ali said:

That's because western men would much rather look at the girl with a tank top on and short shorts, combined with clown makeup as opposed to you. Lol. Not saying you are ugly, but that for them mascara and eye-liner is child's play to them. 

For them, mascara and eye-liner just aren't enough, they need more stimulation than that. 

Oh yeah! and how do you know this ?? The difference is they are very trasparent and honest in their approach meaning If they like you or want to engage with you for a good time they tell you on Face not running around, and when you talk about tank tops and shorts then I must say you are just trying to support your view as I know many pure western families who had such scenarios every given day but nothing as such happens with regards to Stimulation or Arousals and even if it does nothing wrong with it after all human beings are packed with all this emotions that comes natural but potraying GIRLS dressing/make up as a major factor to such arousals is completely illogical.  I know many men/women around me in my society who play innocent and honest on partner's face and behind the scene are in to many relations and MAKE UP/ Fragrance or LADIES Dressing has got no connection to it. It's how their characters are, If you even send them in to the House of GOD they would do the similar thing there as it is something which is Inside one's mentality. It cant be just erased or changed.

19 minutes ago, Semanta said:

It's your decison dear, I don't think you need to take any of the views by all here, It's about you, it's for you. Others have got nothing to do with it.