Jump to content
Islandsandmirrors

I don’t want to feel my emotions

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Type 1 Bipolar Disorder. 

I was hospitalized for being a danger to myself two years ago and because I had an episode of psychosis and went 6 entire days without sleep. I just stopped functioning. 

But I’m better now, Alhamdulilah.

Inshaallah it will be fine completely. I also feel overwhemed sometimes, but its not something serious alhamdulillah. I had epilepsy before, but after 7 years of treatment, I felt good again.

I just saw your post on not being attractive to men, then I felt confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Type 1 Bipolar Disorder. 

I was hospitalized for being a danger to myself two years ago and because I had an episode of psychosis and went 6 entire days without sleep. I just stopped functioning. 

But I’m better now, Alhamdulilah.

I was hoping it was type 2. Since it "less severe", but type 1 is, to put it bluntly, not fun. 

 

I guess my advice would be to connect well with your therapist. If you haven't already. And also how does your family help you, if at all, regarding your bipolar? Especially with immigrant parents, lack of family support may make things worse. 

I say this since I read that some research for Bipolar revealed that one of the keys to successful management of bipolar and therefore normal cycle of emotions is a supportive family who have gone through "psychoeducation". And also significant others who are supportive (in your case your fiancee) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guest Account Ali said:

I was hoping it was type 2. Since it "less severe", but type 1 is, to put it bluntly, not fun. 

 

I guess my advice would be to connect well with your therapist. If you haven't already. And also how does your family help you, if at all, regarding your bipolar? Especially with immigrant parents, lack of family support may make things worse. 

I say this since I read that some research for Bipolar revealed that one of the keys to successful management of bipolar and therefore normal cycle of emotions is a supportive family who have gone through "psychoeducation". And also significant others who are supportive (in your case your fiancee) 

Not fun is an understatement, to say the least, lol.

Thanks for the advice. I have a therapist whom I see once a week. 

With regards to Bipolar Disorder, since I’ve been diagnosed, they accept now that there is such a thing as mood disorders. They don’t really help with regards to my moods, though. 

My SO is very supportive actually. He’s incredibly understanding. It’s probably why he wants to be a therapist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binge eating or emotional overeating often occurs in the presence of a negative emotion. Those who engage in binge/emotional eating tend to find it difficult to tolerate negative emotions such as anger, sadness, guilt, frustration etc. The eating behaviour can often occur as a means of distracting oneself from the emotion, so if the eating behaviour was taken away (which in your case it has) it would cause difficulty if there are no other means of managing the emotion (which it is doing). Therefore, it is important to understand and identify which emotions are triggering the eating behaviour and to develop alternative management techniques both in relation to the emotion/s you are experiencing and well as the cognitions that may trigger the eating behaviour. This is something that your therapist can help you out with.

It's important to understand that in any presentation, the emotion subsides eventually but what an overeater is often left feeling, is guilt because they have eaten in a way they wish they hadn't. Therefore, I feel there still needs to be work done in relation to coping without your eating behaviour which has been removed and helping you come up with other more helpful coping strategies so that your emotions can be regulated in a healthier way.

I hope that helps, you've done so well MashAllah and I have no doubt that you'll continue to get stronger. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 2:07 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

No offense taken. I’m bipolar, on a great medication (Latuda) and I attend therapy weekly. 

Latuda side effects:

  • drowsiness;
  • feeling restless;
  • nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
  • blurred vision;
  • weight gain;
  • breast swelling or discharge;
  • missed menstrual periods; or.
  • decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kirtc said:

Latuda side effects:

  • drowsiness;
  • feeling restless;
  • nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
  • blurred vision;
  • weight gain;
  • breast swelling or discharge;
  • missed menstrual periods; or.
  • decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

 

I only have drowsiness as a side effect and none of the other ones mentioned. (I take it at night for this reason.) I’ve been on it for two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kirtc said:

Latuda side effects:

  • drowsiness;
  • feeling restless;
  • nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
  • blurred vision;
  • weight gain;
  • breast swelling or discharge;
  • missed menstrual periods; or.
  • decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

 

Brother, I know the sister well-she was having episodes before she took Latuda. She consulted the doctors about the side effects before taking it, I don't think it is wise for you  to be rattling off side effects in an attempt to dissuade her from taking it; You're not a doctor, you should mind your business and not stick your nose in places where it doesn't belong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×