Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali-F

I faced my fear and finally told my boss today

Rate this topic

I work in a package central. We sort all kinds of packages and parcels and ship them away. I was happy that I found a halal job.... I thought. 

After some months I saw that we received wine parcels. Meaning that we had to sort this wine in cages. This is obviously haram. My mood went down yet I was afraid to tell my boss about it. What would he think? Maybe that I was too extreme. You can't imagine how afraid I was. So, instead of saying it to my boss I used various ways to avoid the wine. When it came, I'd go to the toilet or I would tell a person to help me and I would leave (two persons sort these wine parcels and I was constantly one of them). I hated it. I really feared Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى that I may commit sins.

Today I saw the wine again. I had successfully avoided it for a long time but I knew today would be the day I couldn't escape. I tried really hard to avoid being there but nope this was my place. I had one last option: Tell my boss.

I have more than one boss and today a second one saw me and said "You have an alcohol problem" (he said it jokingly). I knew he knew. I couldn't bear it.

I said to my boss that I had an issue with alcohol. His reaction? Wow, I was shocked. He said it was very good that I said it. He would not let me work with this wine anymore.

I was so happy. Alhamdulillah. Face your fears brothers and sisters. God is with you.

55 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Alhamdulillah great story. Glad you didn't commit a sin under the pressure. Many people would have. May Allah keep you strong :)

Yes, I could have kept quiet but I said enough is enough. I am a well known worker and people know me as a funny guy and one who likes to talk. I have also worked there for quite a time (he even said that I am known for hard working). What could I lose? Lose my job? That would never happen. This parcel sorting only takes about half an hour. 

I thank Allah for everything and now I see how it goes. I will use a trick to make people forget about it: Make funny jokes!

Alhamdulillah.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:37 PM, Ali-F said:

I work in a package central. We sort all kinds of packages and parcels and ship them away. I was happy that I found a halal job.... I thought. 

After some months I saw that we received wine parcels. Meaning that we had to sort this wine in cages. This is obviously haram. My mood went down yet I was afraid to tell my boss about it. What would he think? Maybe that I was too extreme. You can't imagine how afraid I was. So, instead of saying it to my boss I used various ways to avoid the wine. When it came, I'd go to the toilet or I would tell a person to help me and I would leave (two persons sort these wine parcels and I was constantly one of them). I hated it. I really feared Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى that I may commit sins.

Today I saw the wine again. I had successfully avoided it for a long time but I knew today would be the day I couldn't escape. I tried really hard to avoid being there but nope this was my place. I had one last option: Tell my boss.

I have more than one boss and today a second one saw me and said "You have an alcohol problem" (he said it jokingly). I knew he knew. I couldn't bear it.

I said to my boss that I had an issue with alcohol. His reaction? Wow, I was shocked. He said it was very good that I said it. He would not let me work with this wine anymore.

I was so happy. Alhamdulillah. Face your fears brothers and sisters. God is with you.

high five. 

"Those are the ones who have bought the life of this world [in exchange] for the Hereafter, so the punishment will not be lightened for them, nor will they be aided." (Quran 2:86)

Mashallah you were strong! thanks for the inspiring post!

Alhamdulillah brother. Be thankful and do Shukr to Allah that you did a brave action. Let me share my story as well.

I was teaching assistant for a course at school. I realized that the instructor copies the books and gives them to me for teaching. I told myself this is Haraam. It violates the rights of the author, so I called the publisher. They said no it is not allowed to copy our books. Then I was kind of afraid, but I told instructor that it is not allowed to copy books. Guess what? He said no it's only for teaching and so on. He was trying to justify his Haraam action. Then I insisted on it in different sessions till he agreed buying new books. It was a relief.:clap:

Some people don't understand us, but your feeling after that is indescribable. I remember when I decided to refuse shake hand, how my feeling was. It was like a victory or something.

12 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى made it easy for you. It was difficult for you to speak your mind so it was the boss who came and asked you.

It was very difficult. That is why I haven't said it for months. I was afraid how people would think about me. God truly made it easy for me. 

3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Thanks for setting an example. Your boss is quite understanding and matured. 

Very much. His reaction was really calm and understanding. I will truly take this as a lesson in my future life - that I shouldn't be afraid of my beliefs. 

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

"Those are the ones who have bought the life of this world [in exchange] for the Hereafter, so the punishment will not be lightened for them, nor will they be aided." (Quran 2:86)

Mashallah you were strong! thanks for the inspiring post!

Jazzakallah khayr, dear brother. 

49 minutes ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Alhamdulillah brother. Be thankful and do Shukr to Allah that you did a brave action. Let me share my story as well.

I was teaching assistant for a course at school. I realized that the instructor copies the books and gives them to me for teaching. I told myself this is Haraam. It violates the rights of the author, so I called the publisher. They said no it is not allowed to copy our books. Then I was kind of afraid, but I told instructor that it is not allowed to copy books. Guess what? He said no it's only for teaching and so on. He was trying to justify his Haraam action. Then I insisted on it in different sessions till he agreed buying new books. It was a relief.:clap:

Some people don't understand us, but your feeling after that is indescribable. I remember when I decided to refuse shake hand, how my feeling was. It was like a victory or something.

Thanks for your story, brother.

The feeling is - as you said - indescribable. It is not only a relief, but you feel you did something important. That you did what is right. Alhamdulillah. 

I have to work on this. I, and many others, will face more problems. We have to tell people what we can do and what we can't do. We may fail, but the most important thing is that we repent and change ourselves.

Great story, and thankfully he was a good human being that respected the beliefs of others, there are number of people who's pride and arrogance would have come into the picture and enforced the "work with our values or get out" rule and then there are number of people like this one. Good to know everything worked out!

I had a similar fear when it came to telling my boss that I needed to pray in the afternoon while at work. I was very scared of doing so since my mother had said that if I told them I was Muslim, that it would jeopardize my job. 

I told my boss that I needed to pray because of my religion and it was a huge relief when she said it was absolutely fine and she was glad I told her. She also said she found it admirable that Muslims pray. :) 

Brother, this story brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of you! Allah bless you. 

Brothers @Ali-F   and @AmirAlmuminin Lover, and  sister @Islandsandmirrors, proud of you, guys!!