Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Inconsolable

How Often Do You Listen to Music?

Rate this topic

How Often Do You Listen to Music?(Practicing Muslims)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you listen to music?(Practicing Muslims)

• Regularly(Everyday/habitual)
    • Occasionally
    • Once in a blue moon
    • Never
  2. 2. If you do listen to Music, do you know & believe it is a sin?

• Yes but consider it a minor sin
    • Yes but will stop someday insh'Allah
    • Yes but try not to
    • Yes but don't care
    • I don't believe it's a sin
    • I don't listen to music

I listen to music. Prefer artists that are not mainstream, and opera is my favorite.

On 2/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, notme said:

Define "music".

And then clarify which music is a sin. 

Then I will be able to answer the poll. 

It's best to err on the side of caution when in doubt about whether a thing is a sin, but my marja has not ruled that all music is forbidden. I like classical and folk music, and some Islamic hymns, and listening to these is not a sin. 

My favorite albums include (but are not limited to) Ukelele Mozart, by Kenji Kondo, and West Virginia Chose Me, by Mountain Thyme. 

Well in your case I'd say the Music which your marja considers to be Haram, the general idea was songs which are as a general rule of thumb considered haram by everyone which is what the majority of us listen to and are mostly popular.

22 minutes ago, Inconsolable said:

the general idea was songs which are as a general rule of thumb considered haram by everyone which is what the majority of us listen to and are mostly popular.

I always listen to noha but when I voted "once in a blue moon" I meant that I listen to nasheeds.

32 minutes ago, Inconsolable said:

Fair enough, I guess that means you consider them to be haram or in a gray area?

Some members believe that all music is haram, so they might think that nasheeds are haram as well. Some people put nasheeds in a gray area. The English version of the Holy Qur'an mentions singing, so some members do believe that religious songs would be permissible: 

[Shakir 5:55] Therefore be patient; surely the promise of Allah is true; and ask protection for your fault and sing the praise of your Lord in the evening
and the morning.

Edited by Hameedeh
typo

23 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Some members believe that all music is haram, so they might think that nasheeds are haram as well. Some people put nasheeds in a gray area. The English version of the Holy Qur'an mentions singing, so some members do believe that religious songs would be permissible: 

[Shakir 5:55] Therefore be patient; surely the promise of Allah is true; and ask protection for your fault and sing the praise of your Lord in the evening
and the morning.

Interesting. For me the "Sabbih" have always meant exalt your Lord or Glorify your Lord by reading Du'as of praising Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, or reading Qur'an or just repeating Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى names and remember Him.

Edited by Abu Nur

Just now, Abu Nur said:

Interesting. For me the "Sabbih" have always meant exalt your lord or Glorify your lord by reading Du'as of praising Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, or reading Qur'an or just repeating Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى names and remember Him.

Thank you for explaining the Arabic. :) 

The basic problem with music is inferred from Surah Alizab.

Preface:

Haram music is obviously kufr, particularly if it conveys honorifics to idols, vices or is indecent.

Music with words (songs) have to be judged by their content. [Recently from baby sitting, a children's learning song echoing in my head is not haram. Only a nuisance.]

Short fun-songs usually are not otherwise a problem.

lnstrumental Music is time consuming. How much time that is used-up -by listening to it- is where the surah comes into guidance:

33:21  As a core element of the sunnah, keywords: remember Allah much

33:35 & 41  clear guidance

Before i converted i listened day and night to music. Underground, dupstep, psychedelic, trance, all types of House, all kinds of instruments, i slept and ate on music, even when we used to sit at my friends places we would put some light background music. In my country people appreciate music a lot so they do events camps every week for the people. Beirut is very famous for its nightlife.

When i committed i stopped gradually because i couldnt do it all of a sudden. I started listening to the music that my marjaa allows me to, but even then i felt it wasnt right, sometimes the soul is able to detect whether we're doing something right or wrong. Then i read that sheikh bahajt says all music is haram so i stopped it entirely.

Music affects people in the way they think, dress, behave, speak. I used to monitor the effects on my friends.

I tend to not listen to music as often as I used to, probably because in the past I've listened to thousands of albums and written even more music myself. 

Although, as a composer myself I get new bits of music in my head sometimes which gets me busy composing a piece (or a song, depending on what it is). Recently I've been composing a Piano Sonata. I did go to university to study classical music for a few years, music is in my blood, I guess :grin:

Generally I prefer instrumental music (of any genre) over music with vocals (even before I became a Muslim). Instrumental music stimulates my mind and emotions far more than music with lyrics usually do, I'm a big fan of Jazz (among others). Also Indian Classical ragas, progressive rock/metal, ambient music etc. I'm all over the place :hahaha:

Music is another artform and can be used in many ways, haram or halal - you get what you put in, you find what you look for.