Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s)

Anixiety of death keeps coming

Rate this topic

salam, as some of you know, my last topic was a question of how to help my anxiety of death, and alhamdullilah a few people answered, but although it did help me, my anxiety keeps coming back, and the fact is that when i think of death i always get scared, some nights i would have panic attacks, and i just feel like i need help from people rather than going to a doctor etc. so it would be great if someone could please comment on how i can accept death.

Salaam,

I have just glanced through your previous post to get a better understanding of what your going through.
Fear of death is natural, and it is a common fear shared by many, anxiety over death is something else, maybe an event has taken place in your life that has struck up this anxiety or reflection on ones deeds and actions, and fear of what is to come, whatever it may be.

Dear brother, remembrance of death is good and is recommended within our narrations, on the other hand anxiety is not.

Anxiety stems from lack of patience, regret, depression, overwhelming stress, and they can all be linked in one way or another to action and contemplation.

You should not only act and contemplate on your actions, but you should also act and contemplate on the words of Allah s.w.t, and how God reveals himself to you.
When one has an issue at work, or at university, or at school, or in his civil life, he goes to the principal, the director, the c.e.o, the authority figure whom has the authority over that issue.

2_258.png

Have you not considered the one who argued with Abraham about his Lord [merely] because Allah had given him kingship? When Abraham said, "My Lord is the one who gives life and causes death,"....

10_56.png

He gives life and causes death, and to Him you will be returned

Allah s.w.t is the giver of life, and the causer of death, now after the obvious has been stated, there must be some meaning behind giving life?

23_115.png
Then did you think that We created you uselessly and that to Us you would not be returned?"

Allah s.w.t does not do anything out of 'abath, uselessly, for no reason, without wisdom, without purpose, just as we all such examples apply to us, we must also consider the ayah of the Quran with regards to mercy, love, patience, and reward.

One of the greatest sins, dear brother is to have doubt in Allah s.w.t's mercy. This is not to say you are a sinner, but to say rather, that even the very breath you take now to read this, and the very heartbeat your heart just beat, is a mercy from Allah s.w.t for if he wanted it to stop then it would have and had he wanted you not to read this you wouldn't have, he is the causer of causes, he is the reason behind the reasons, and if you have patience and contemplate everything in your life from birth till now, God has been on your side from the very first day, he has provided you with sustenance and health, and he has tested you in order for you to gain closeness to Him, and wisdom, and experience, He has given you intellect, so that you can intellect, and so that you can discover and learn and rise above the levels of the angels, and be a strong believer whos light shines in the heavens just as the light of the stars shine to us on earth.

Had you not been able to, you would not be reading this right now, had Allah s.w.t not seen you fit, and able than you wouldn't. You think Allah s.w.t did not know before he created you, that you would fall? that you would make mistakes? that you would struggle and sometimes it would lead to impatience, and stress until you feel helpless? He is the All-Knowing, and with His knowledge of that he created you and said:

3_31.png

Say, [O Muhammad], "If you should love Allah , then follow me, [so] Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

Sit with yourself, be patient, count your blessings, and contemplate the mercy of Allah s.w.t, and know that even if we do make mistakes, and we do fall, and we do get stressed that its never easy, and that God knows that and that we dig for ourselves holes for years through neglecting Gods will, and what He wants for us, and then when we realize how deep we've gotten we want to get out in an instant, it takes time, just like it took time to dig the hole, it takes time for us to get out of it, its a process that consists of possible repetitive failure, and repetitive estighfar and tawbah, and that's fine because Allah s.w.t also says he loves the tawabeen and that He is near, and with His help not even the greatest tyrant, or the greatest obstacle, can stand in your way.

Try to always remain on Wudhu, and when fear strikes, strike it back with:

لا حول ولا قوة الا بالله العلي العظيم

Repeat as necessary, and before sleeping read:
اللَّهُمَّ ابْعَثْنِي مِنْ مَضْجَعِي لِذِكْرِكَ وَ شُكْرِكَ وَ صَلَوَاتِكَ وَ اسْتِغْفَارِكَ وَ تِلَاوَةِ كِتَابِكَ وَ حُسْنِ عِبَادَتِكَ يَا أَرْحَمَ الرَّاحِمِينَ

and repeat 70 times before sleeping:
اسْتَغْفِرُ اللَّهَ رَبِّي وَ أَتُوبُ إِلَيْه

Always looks at hardship and struggle from the eye of the lover of Allah s.w.t, in that hardship and struggle is a sign that God looked at you and gave you his attention for a moment and sent down unto you that struggle in order to call you to Him, if you would stop and listen, and hold steadfast with patience and prayer.
Message me if sleep difficulties persist.

I pray for your success, and I ask Allah s.w.t to relieve the anxiety from the hearts of all the mo'mineen and mo'minat by the rights of Muhammad and aal Muhammad.

And All praise belongs to God, the All-Seeing, the All-Knowing, Lord of the heavens and the earth.

7 hours ago, SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s) said:

salam, as some of you know, my last topic was a question of how to help my anxiety of death, and alhamdullilah a few people answered, but although it did help me, my anxiety keeps coming back, and the fact is that when i think of death i always get scared, some nights i would have panic attacks, and i just feel like i need help from people rather than going to a doctor etc. so it would be great if someone could please comment on how i can accept death.

What about death do you fear exactly?

Salam brother,

The reason why we fear death is because our body feels threatened. The function of our body is just to flee from pain and survive. Therefore our body just gives a natural response when it thinks about death. You can't explain divine realities to your body, as our body is not rational etc.

Our soul is eternal and only it can grasp concepts such as death, hereafter etc. The soul of a human is inclined towards godly attributes such as truth, justice, knowledge etc. Therefore you need to understand that you have two sides within you, one being the animal 'self' the other being the 'self' which strives for a godly life.

When we completely identify ourselves with our body, then we are likely to be fearful of death. The more nourish our souls to make it evolve, the less we identify ourselves with our body. This is why some of our great scholars aren't fearful of death, because they have evolved their souls and are out of that 'animal' state.

I must say that we need to work very hard to make sure that our soul evolve. The more we develop taqwa, the less we will fear death itself.

If you think about it, death isn't something to fear. After all, our body was never meant to be eternal. What should concern us is what happens in barzakh. If we guard ourselves from sins, then we should be confident.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Anxiety is the mix of two emotions, fear and worry.

I have found that fear arises from real issues of danger or a threat. It is possible that someone is posing a concealed threat. Then they are presenting you with ideas about possible death. To do that they have to be related, e.g., relative, friend, co-worker etc., AND they have to have access, a copy of your house key for instance. The type of person that would do that is inhumane (no conscience and no remorse for their actions and no empathy), but they are well masked as to appear like humane person.

Can you secure your doors? Maybe change the locks. Panic attack is usually created with ideas of "something terrible can happen".  It is usually don't to try and unsettle you, not to kill you. The person or persons involved can have one of many different reasons, e.g., to gain power and influence over you so as to manipulate and control you, to take revenge, to take your job if they can make you sick, etc. It can also be done for narcissistic supply, i.e., to get pleasure from seeing you pain and suffering.

Brother/Sister,

Here at SC, we are not counsellors and cannot offer you the advice that a counsellor would be able to. 

Extreme anxiety and panic attacks over death or any other reason cannot be addressed by the people on this forum. They have no knowledge of anxiety disorders and seeking professional help is needed to understand this situation and yourself better. 

Find a Muslim therapist to work-out your anxieties, and panic attacks are not normal. 

17 hours ago, SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s) said:

Asalam dear, 

THE CURE FOR ANXIETY:

Listen to Surah Rehman for 7 days. Once a day. You Must listen to the whole surah.

My mother told a relative to do this. They were going through a lot of (high stage) anxiety.

after listening to surah rehman they were cured and anxiety was completely gone, Alhamdullilah. It’s been 3 years,and they’ve not had anxiety :)

TRY IT! It’s the cure for everything (another woman I heard - she followed this course and her breast cancer was cured)

apread this to everyone

5 hours ago, SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s) said:

to eThErEal

i dont know really,its just the thought of death that gets into my mind

I don't think you mean the mere thought of "death", but you probably mean "your death".  Perhaps you mean the death of loved ones as well.  So you are afraid of your death or the death of your loved ones.  You might want to ask yourself "who or what you are" in order to know "who or what is being afraid"

I remember once I was having a conversation with two other people in the masjid and the topic of death came up because we had remembered of someone who had just passed away.  All of a sudden the atmosphere around turned grim and everyone's face looked sad and one could sense a little anxiety when one of them mentioned aloud what we were all thinking, "soon we we will all have to die."  I personally felt the anxiety, but my inner conscience told me that the feeling I am having is the result of being unawareness that God is the sole reality.  I therefore went within myself and reminded myself of the sentence of tawhid and inserting the quality which was most pertinent at that very moment, (i.e. life, or the quality of being alive, hayy).  From the depths of my heart I told myself that "there is no life but God's Life"  After contemplating this, I felt a relief from the constriction that I felt; what resulted was a blissful happiness; a fearlessness.  The reason for this was because in that statement was a recognition no matter what happens to your self or to anyone's self (even if you die or people die), it is God's life that is real and which remains.  His life is pure and free from any limitation or defect.  And so long as that is true (which is eternally the case), no one has anything to fear.               

@SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s) Did you just recently start experiencing it?

I remember a year ago I had panic attacks when ever I thought about death. It felt as if I was dying. Especially during the darkness of the night. For me it only lasted for like 1-2 minutes where I had a flight or fight response. However I experienced random attacks for like a month or two. Now I haven't experienced it for like a year.

My advice for you is to drink water the moment you experience it and take a big deep breath. Assure yourself that you are not dying.

I did go to the counsellor at university and they didn't do much apart from just advising me to exercise etc.

Brother, honestly this is strange period you're going through and it won't last long. Do visit a counsellor but please don't rely on medicines etc. I know I'm not a doctor but that will only make the situation worse in some circumstances. 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

thankyou everyone for ur comments,

but the thing for me and like others is that when i hear death or think of it, my mind just wants to explode, i want to know how i should accept death, ive had this anxiety for many years and sometimes it would go and other times it would comeback in a bad way making me get distracted from daily activities (school) and other things

btw to everyone who doesnt know, i am a teenager, and i always think to myself "i want a normal life with no anxiety", but it doesnt happen, because i always get these annoying thoughts that ruin myself emotionally and mentally, alhamdullilah my anxiety hasnt gone far to having bad thoughts or doing bad stuff, but the worst is anxiety attacks, crying, and staying up till late on my phone until i get sleepy so i dont have to have anxiety thoughts

Being scared of death is one of the main symptoms of 'Hub Ad Dunya', love of this lower life. In Islam, this is thought of as a terrible disease that must be cured. This disease could easily lead to spiritual death before the physical death. Allah(s.w.a) has put this fear into you for a reason, it is so that you will seek out those thing which cause you to do Zuhud(acts which help your heart disattach from this world). Imam Ali(a.s) was known as the greatest Zahid(one who does zuhud) beside the Holy Prophet(p.b.u.h), because he was constantly doing things to disattach his heart from becoming attached to this lower life. 

Imam Ali(a.s) had a few famous hadith that had to do with this subject. He would have conversations with the dunya in which he would tell it 'Go away, I don't want you, go deceive someone else.' and about the Caliphate that it is worth less in his eyes than a old, worn out shoe except if he could use it to establish justice between people and restore the rights of the oppressed. (haqq). 

Being a Zahid does not mean that you leave everything and go off and mediate in a cave, but it means you develop habits (such as fasting, extra prayers, giving to the poor, visiting the graves, etc, there are many) which lead to your heart becoming disattached from this world. If you are going in the right direction with this, you will know it because this anxiety about death will gradually subside. 

The other problem is that you live in a country (Australia) where the society in general is very dunya oriented so they dislike anything related to Zuhud and this is the normal thought that pervades in society. It doesn't mean it is correct. The average person in Australia is equally as scared of death as you are, but they have found various ways to mask this fear (drugs, alcohol, partying, etc) temporarily so that it doesn't overwhelm them, but this so called medicine is worse than the disease and makes them even more attached to the world and thus more afraid of death, in a downward spiral. Hopefully you will use this fear as a motivation to go the right way (toward Zuhud) and not the wrong way toward learning to 'paper over' the fear, as most people do. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

On 2/20/2018 at 1:05 PM, SHIA OF IMAM ALI (a.s) said:

salam, as some of you know, my last topic was a question of how to help my anxiety of death, and alhamdullilah a few people answered, but although it did help me, my anxiety keeps coming back,

Know that you are created to survive.... You can kill the death by tasting it. 

Asalaamu Alaikum Wa Rehmatullah Barkatatu.

Dear Brother / Sister,

I hope you are well.

This is my first post and Inshallah it can be something that can help you. I will relate my story, which happened very recently.

Until 2 weeks ago, I never prayed namaz, did not fast (maybe did a few Fridays and  21st Ramadhan), did not really care about anything religiously. Although I have always had my emaan in Allah and am quite knowledgeable in deen ( I have been reading Islamic books for many years and have a mini library), I was not actively practising as I should.

This all changed.

Whilst I was sitting at home on the PC playing games, I got a pain in my chest and felt tightness. I started to panic and started to walk around the house like a headless chicken.

I kept saying astagfar and even my wife started getting worried. My face became pale like I seen a ghost. I called the emergency ambulance and I was sure I am about to get a heart attack ( I was a smoker for 20+ years). I kept saying ''Astagfar'', ''Allah give me another chance, I cant die like this'', I promised Allah I would change. When the Ambulance came and checked me, he told me I was just getting Anxiety and I should breathe easy. The time was 3am in the morning and I walked home 5 miles in the cold just reflecting on what happened.

For the next few days I would get anxious I am about to die and every night I would get fidgety, I needed help.

Since then I have started reading Namaz and not missed a day. I keep saying Astagfar and asking for forgiveness from Allah. I also listen to Surah Rahman every morning, which is supposed to cure health. I also recite the Prayer of Hazrat Yunus (as) consistently whenever I can, this is supposed to remove depression.

laa ilaaha illaa anta subhanaka innee kuntu min a zaalimeen  - There is no God except you, Glory be to you, I was wrong.

Other things I did that have helped, I have stopped smoking (went cold turkey), I go for exercise now, morning walks in open large parks are the best. (reflect on the Majestic things Allah created - listening to birds and nature). Eat vegetables and anything that has high Magnesium content (spinach, beans, etc are good) Magnesium is known to help with anxiety. also Vitamin b12 is good. Avoid processed food and meat (even for a little while).  At night time (when it was the worst) I would read the Quran, even a few paragraphs a day.

The most important thing to remember is 'We all die', everything on Earth will perish, there is nothing we can do about that.  What we can do is improve our chance of being successful in this life and hereafter. Ask Allah for health and forgiveness. Verily, there is benefit in Dhikr of Allah. 

May Allah ease your pain and give Sabr in your Heart like I am starting to get Sabr in mine now.

From your Brother.