Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ChristianVisitor

Do Shias respect Christians?

Rate this topic

Christians in general do not attempt to force religion upon those of non-Christian convictions. Aside from fundamentalists in some English-speaking countries, Christians overall have left Muslims to practice their own faith without interference and harrassment. The only time Christians will share about their faith is when a Muslim asks them initially. 

Thus, do Shias also have the same mentality towards Christians? If a Christian peacefully and respectfully declines to become a Muslim do Shias allow that Christian to remain and practice their Christian faith without interference and harassment?

This is an honest question.

(I heard that the Ibadis in Oman are the most tolerant Muslims out of all the sects. More so than Twelvers in Iran.)

Edited by ChristianVisitor

In general, yes, but there are individuals who are obnoxious. Christians are respected as People of the Book. Nothing in Islam requires aggressively trying to convert non-Muslims. We just try to set an example that makes our way attractive to others.

Habituate your heart to mercy for the subjects and to affection and kindness for them. Do not stand over them like greedy beasts who feel it is enough to devour them,

since they are of two kinds, either your brother in religion or one like you in creation.

Letter 53: An order to Malik al-Ashtar

Written1 for (Malik) al-Ashtar an-Nakha'i, when the position of Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr had become precarious, and Amir al-mu'minin had appointed al- Ashtar as the Governor of Egypt and the surrounding areas; 

https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-2-letters-and-sayings/letter-53-order-malik-al-ashtar

Quran Surah  3: Verse 61

Event of Mubahalah

People are of two kinds, either your brothers in faith or your equals in humanity - Imam Ali (as)

(1) https://www.al-islam.org/message-thaqalayn/vol2-n2-3/cultural-relations-between-christianity-and-shia-islam-dr-sayyid-mustafa

(2) https://www.al-islam.org/jesus-though-shiite-narrations-mahdi-muntazir-qaim

Edited by Hameedeh
[Mod Note: Moderators can reduce the size of excessively large fonts to a standard size of 14.]

4 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

do Shias allow that Christian to remain and practice their Christian faith without interference and harassment?

Hi there is no problem at Iran for Christians to practice their faith only promoting of it to new persons forbidden.

christians & Armenians in Iran

14 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Christians in general do not attempt to force religion upon those of non-Christian convictions. Aside from fundamentalists in some English-speaking countries, Christians overall have left Muslims to practice their own faith without interference and harrassment. The only time Christians will share about their faith is when a Muslim asks them initially. 

Hello and welcome,

I would say the Missionary work is somewhat of a forced conversion. "Here is some food, listen to me about Jesus" as opposed to "here is some food" .

14 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Thus, do Shias also have the same mentality towards Christians? If a Christian peacefully and respectfully declines to become a Muslim do Shias allow that Christian to remain and practice their Christian faith without interference and harassment?

Absolutely we do. We don't really have a "dawah" aka outreach program as we are so busy with our own obligations and rituals. We let our faith speak for itself.

This is in general of course.

1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

I would say the Missionary work is somewhat of a forced conversion. "Here is some food, listen to me about Jesus" as opposed to "here is some food" .

I don't think it is forced at all. Most of the Christians that pop by our house, just give us the bible and spread the word of Prophet Jesus (as). They don't really expect to convert anyone from what I've noticed. They just want to raise awareness. The missionaries that come to our house only come because they love my Mum's biryani lol.

Forced conversion is when you act aggressively to get the person to convert.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

7 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I don't think it is forced at all. Most of the Christians that pop by our house, just give us the bible and spread the word of Prophet Jesus (as). They don't really expect to convert anyone from what I've noticed. They just want to raise awareness. The missionaries that come to our house only come because they love my Mum's biryani lol.

Forced conversion is when you act aggressively to get the person to convert.

Salaam,

That is why I said "somewhat" forced.If you look at history, some missionaries forced conversion such as the Spanish. Others were more peaceful. 

In general the goal of missionaries is to convert people to Christianity and they do it by doing good works (feeding poor, building hospitals, etc). This is the opposite of what Jesus preached since he just helped people. Jesus helped the Jew and Gentile just as much and without the intention of 'converting' him.

10 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Salaam,

That is why I said "somewhat" forced.If you look at history, some missionaries forced conversion such as the Spanish. Others were more peaceful. 

In general the goal of missionaries is to convert people to Christianity and they do it by doing good works (feeding poor, building hospitals, etc). This is the opposite of what Jesus preached since he just helped people. Jesus helped the Jew and Gentile just as much and without the intention of 'converting' him.

Huh? With all due respect brother Jesus did preach the gospel of his Kingdom to the Jews and Gentiles (John 3:1-15; 4:1-42). He did not merely feed and heal people but also preached the gospel message.

Edited by ChristianVisitor

19 minutes ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Huh? With all due respect brother Jesus did preach the gospel of his Kingdom to the Jews and Gentiles (John 3:1-15; 4:1-42). He did not merely feed and heal people but also preached the gospel message

sure he did - he preached and also fed but never did he feed in the hope of "converting" people.

That would go against the very being that he was.

I don't think the Bible preaches to do works with a catch

Edited by shiaman14

I haven’t met a Shia who didn’t respect Christians, and sometimes even put them on a pedestal (especially in Iran). On the other hand, I’ve met plenty of Christian missionaries who have been anything but accommodating. Setting up stalls outside of our events, knocking on our doors, leaving notes on my car, and even signing up on forums like this to insult us. The internet is full of Christian websites that say that we are a barbaric pedophilic cult that worships a pagan devil moon, and you don’t really find as many Muslim websites that do that to Christians.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, ChristianVisitor said:

I have never attempted to convert anyone to islam, I respect people of all beliefs, and even those who don't believe in God (provided it's not a militant type of atheism, more like live and let live). If they ask questions I try to answer them to the best of my ability, but I try to treat people with respect if they treat me with respect, regardless of what belief they are. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

I haven’t met a Shia who didn’t respect Christians, and sometimes even put them on a pedestal (especially in Iran). On the other hand, I’ve met plenty of Christian missionaries who have been anything but accommodating. Setting up stalls outside of our events, knocking on our doors, leaving notes on my car, and even signing up on forums like this to insult us. The internet is full of Christian websites that say that we are a barbaric pedophilic cult that worships a pagan devil moon, and you don’t really find as many Muslim websites that do that to Christians.

I've been booted off christian sites, ignored on others. Shallow conversations, no interest in learning their own history. A crude bunch.

4000 men (with women and children), followed Jesus for three days before He fed them.

Christian rescue missions bring in the hungry, feed them, and for those who got a bed, go through a gospel service before going to bed. Those interested on improving their lives can join the program, includes designated chores, gathering for prayer, and meals, and being involved in the Christian habits of morning and evening devotions.  

If you have to convert before they feed you there is no deed...even if you "convert". 

On 2/20/2018 at 11:22 PM, Qa'im said:

Those are fundamentalists. Some evangelicals can be fundamentalist too, but not most. I think too many Muslims confuse evangelical fundamentalists with Reformation Protestants. They have many beliefs in common but they are not the same. I've never tried to convert or demean a Muslim in my life. Most interactions I've had with Muslims were amicable and respectful.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:15 AM, ChristianVisitor said:

Christians in general do not attempt to force religion upon those of non-Christian convictions. Aside from fundamentalists in some English-speaking countries, Christians overall have left Muslims to practice their own faith without interference and harrassment.

I don’t know where you live, but this statement is entirely false for me.

Christians attempt, more than anyone, to force religion down other people’s throats. I’ve had many Christians give me bibles and one got into a heated debate with me on the topic of religion. Christians are the one with the most missionaries in the world. 

Youd never see a Muslim preach Islam in the way Christians do with Christianity. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

On 2/20/2018 at 10:22 PM, Qa'im said:

no but we muslims always bemoan the ravages of european imperialism while we forget our own imperialism , the long history of oppression ,savagery and slavery that we perpetuated on the european and african people

self criticism needs to start from both sides 

23 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

no but we muslims always bemoan the ravages of european imperialism while we forget our own imperialism , the long history of oppression ,savagery and slavery that we perpetuated on the european and african people

self criticism needs to start from both sides 

Its true but they never encounter with Shia Islam & Muslims because Shias always oppressed by Tyrant (not Sunni muavyyd & abbasyd & Ottomans) Imperialism 

25 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

agreed although shia sultans and kings probably were no better than sunni ones 

the "black shias " of Shariati are as much the villians as the "Red shias" are the heroes 

He says “Alavi shia”(noble ones as Sheikh Baha’i) against “Red Shias”(Safavid Shia) that they were a minority among minority.

46 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

He says “Alavi shia”(noble ones as Sheikh Baha’i) against “Red Shias”(Safavid Shia) that they were a minority among minority.

Then I must have misunderstood the translation 

The reds in my opinion are original revolutionary Alid shias 

Imperial safavi are the blacks 

24 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Then I must have misunderstood the translation 

The reds in my opinion are original revolutionary Alid shias 

Imperial safavi are the blacks 

Black shia are who mourning that a best example of it the Nigerian Shias (IMN) Islamic movement of Nigeria that founded  by Sheikh Zakzaki that he take education at Qom Hawza after Iran revolution  but Red shia as nowadays we see is the group that supports Tatbir & other ritulals & insulting Sunni Muslim sacred people as Shirazi Cult & Allahyari   that backs to Safavids.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe