Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Plucking eyebrows halal?

Rate this topic

(Bismillah)

Salam I was wondering if plucking eyebrows is halal or not. Because I've heard it's haram (from Sunnis)

I know that ayatollah Khameini and Sistani allow it.

I think there are 2 verses in the Quran that are about not changing Allahs creation. I was just wonder if plucking (cleaning your eyebrows to look presentable and not to show off just too not look sad all the time because happier when i pluck my eyebrows. I'm just wondering if cleaning some facial hair is changing Allahs creation because if it is then showering, cutting nails, cutting hair, taking care of your skin like using pro active to get rid of your pimples or too look better then that's haram too. But is the definition of changing Allahs creation like changing the body parts, changing genes, making a robot that has a humans brain, or making humans that can fly, or doing plastic surgery on the body and face or taking steroids so that I look more muscular. I would be happy to hear what you think thank you 

have a good day 

• Basic Members

Salam,

picking eyebrows should be like cuting your hair. It should be alright as long it doesn't rise awareness of men you are not married to or are not from your family. You should not harm

youself by some beauty hype but eyebrows are something different. 

• Veteran Member

Interesting.  Some people say men are allowed to groom their beards, so that they aren't unruly.  I would imagine grooming your eyebrows is similar.  But then some people say that you're not supposed to groom your beards (not sure if that's a wahabi thing or a sunni thing), by that logic, it would not be permissible to pluck your eyebrows.  But if we're worried about changing Allah's creation, then should women be allowed to wear makeup?  Should men/women be allowed to color their hair?  Should we be allowed to wear perfumes that alter our natural smell?  And may or may not also entice the opposite gender?  

I would argue that if done in a sensible manner, it's ok.  I've got one totally random very thick hair that grows right in the middle of my two eyebrows, and one really long eyebrow hair in my right eyebrow that grows faster than the rest that I do pluck/cut as needed.  

• Advanced Member
On 2/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, coldcow said:

Interesting.  Some people say men are allowed to groom their beards, so that they aren't unruly.  I would imagine grooming your eyebrows is similar.  But then some people say that you're not supposed to groom your beards (not sure if that's a wahabi thing or a sunni thing), by that logic, it would not be permissible to pluck your eyebrows.  But if we're worried about changing Allah's creation, then should women be allowed to wear makeup?  Should men/women be allowed to color their hair?  Should we be allowed to wear perfumes that alter our natural smell?  And may or may not also entice the opposite gender?  

I would argue that if done in a sensible manner, it's ok.  I've got one totally random very thick hair that grows right in the middle of my two eyebrows, and one really long eyebrow hair in my right eyebrow that grows faster than the rest that I do pluck/cut as needed.  

Salaam,

With regards to the verses, Allamah Tabatabai [r.a] states in Tafsir al-Mizan,

"And I will order them so that they shall alter Allãh's creation." This last phrase may denote

castration and various types of mutilations as well as sodomy and lesbianism.

Possibly, alteration of Allãh's creations may connote going against the natural law and discarding the upright religion. Allãh says:

Then set your face upright for religion in the right state – the nature

made by Allãh in which He has made men; there is no altering of

Allãh's creation; that is the right religion (30:30)

Previously in the verse it also referred to an old Arab custom of cutting the ear of certain animals, after they gave birth for the 5th time (if it gave birth to a male) and they would no longer use it or care for it.

So plucking eyebrows, and putting perfume wouldn't really fall under the category of 'altering creation', on the contrary, it is recommended (mustahab) for both women and men to take groom themselves, to dye their hair, the Prophet (sawa) loved perfume, the angels love certain scents.

What they did was just set guidelines like you mentioned such as:
- not enticing the other gender (non-mahrams)
- not attracting attention to oneself

The argument of should they or shouldn't they isn't something even a faqih (mujtahid, expert in Islamic Law) discusses, because the Law of Allah s.w.t is beyond the comprehension of man, and the wisdom behind the laws and the ability to reveal them is only with the Infallible Imams (a.s).

Many issues though are left in the hands of the 'mukallaf' (the one whose responsible, to figure out what crosses the stated red lines) and i think its obvious to each individual but can change from one person to another, but definitely one shouldn't stay in a state that belittles them or lowers their dignity, there are narrations that state that your dignity is an amana (something to safeguard) given to you by Allah s.w.t and it is your duty and responsibility to protect it by any means, you are a sacred creation of Allah s.w.t, so if having excessive bushy eyebrows etc, fall under lowering your status and dignity then it probably should be avoided.

Make up and perfume, also have their own conditions and don't necessarily fall under that same category in most cases, in the case that they did we can assume the answer.

And All praise belongs to God, the All-Seeing, the All-Knowing, Lord of the heavens and the earth.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 17/02/2018 at 11:57 PM, theonewithquestions1231 said:

Salam I was wondering if plucking eyebrows is halal or not. Because I've heard it's haram (from Sunnis)

We do have some old opinions forbidding it, but literally, all our alive scholars disagree with this. Sunnis are known for forbidding it.

But you should know that in Middle-East plucking eyebrows hair out is considered something very feminine. It's probably a social result of Sunnis common fatwas. 

On 18/02/2018 at 6:55 AM, coldcow said:

But then some people say that you're not supposed to groom your beards

It's a Wahhabi thing, not all of them even agree on it. 

Edited by Mark Enlightment