Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hafez Al-Assad, America's ally

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, kirtc said:

Alliance? what alliance? Dont try lebanese politics. its 10 times more complicated then Iraqi.. there are a hundred other factors

lol Lebanon? Who cares about Lebanon? I can drive from its southern tip to its northern in less then 3 and a half hours and thats being generous. Many in Iraq just consider it apart of Syria and it should return. Iraq is a real strategic  important nation that plays a large part in almost all parts of the world scene. Don't compare Iraq the land of the Imams to that rogue Syrian province. 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Forgottenthinker said:

lol Lebanon? Who cares about Lebanon? I can drive from its southern tip to its northern in less then 3 and a half hours and thats being generous. Many in Iraq just consider it apart of Syria and it should return. Iraq is a real strategic  important nation that plays a large part in almost all parts of the world scene. Don't compare Iraq the land of the Imams to that rogue Syrian province. 

how old are you?

• Veteran Member
On February 8, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Forgottenthinker said:

You need to calm down.

And regardless of your colorful opinions about the country, Lebanon does have some of the most complicated and cutthroat internal politics in the world. This is demonstrably true.

• Advanced Member
On 09/02/2018 at 12:10 AM, Forgottenthinker said:

If you are trying to base that Lebanon's politics isn't confusing as it's a small country then that's with all due respect the most ridiculous claim I've heard. Wallah from my heart for your sake I'm saying calm down and when you say who cares about Lebanon, well it is home to the only forces to have ever defeated Israel in its history. Also I love Iraq and I love the shia of Iraq but to try say one country is better than another as it has Imams, than using your logic Saudi (the country the Shia despise) is better than Iraq as it's home to the grave of the Prophet and has the Kaaba and also has Imams so I don't know where you are going with that (ignoring the fact that there are several Prophets buried in Lebanon). Also many in Iraq can consider it a part of Syria but the opinion of people really holds no weight. It's like me saying well there are many Turkish that really believe that Iraq should be back into Lower Mesopotamia but under Turkish rule. Anyways I will leave you to your beliefs, and really if Lebanon was that unimportant then why were you just debating about them. There goes your argument :titanic:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Ali Salhab said:

were you just debating about them. There goes your argument

true, Although  I wasnt even saying lebanon was better than Iraq. I was just saying Lebanese politics is much more complicated.. Shias have 2 parties... sunnis have like 4 or 5, druze have 3, christians have around 4 or 5.. and all these parties have been at war with each other for almost 40 years... they are mostly split between east and west.. and have shifting alliances.. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, kirtc said:

true, Although  I wasnt even saying lebanon was better than Iraq. I was just saying Lebanese politics is much more complicated.. Shias have 2 parties... sunnis have like 4 or 5, druze have 3, christians have around 4 or 5.. and all these parties have been at war with each other for almost 40 years... they are mostly split between east and west.. and have shifting alliances.. 

I was agreeing with you :blush:

• Advanced Member
On 8 February 2018 at 2:23 PM, baradar_jackson said:

And when Saddam invaded Kuwait, he got permission from the US!! US gave him the green light and then they punished him. And only then is where the so-called enmity begin between Saddam and the US. but looking at what happened we know that Saddam was not an enemy of the US. Rather he was more of a lapdog who fell out of favor because he wasn't useful Anymore.

Do you have proof that the US gave permission/green light to Saddam to invade Kuwait? 

• Advanced Member
22 hours ago, YAli said:

Do you have proof that the US gave permission/green light to Saddam to invade Kuwait? 

Read under "meetings with Saddam Hussein";

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Glaspie#Meetings_with_Saddam_Hussein

Basically they said we won't get involved in Arab-Arab conflicts.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Basically they said we won't get involved in Arab-Arab conflicts.

Salam they always say vague statements that in future have  a way out from everything.:grin: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 2/7/2018 at 8:55 PM, Sumerian said:

Hafez Al-Assad's Syria was part of America's alliance against Iraq in order to liberate Kuwait.

Not to mention, Lebanon's current government maintains close ties to the United States and the Lebanese Army conducts a lot of training under American supervision.

There were even reports of US spec ops in Lebanon fighting ISIS alongside the Lebanese Army;

See here for info

How come we don't see people on here criticising Hafez or Aoun in the same way they criticise PM Abadi of allying with the Americans on security and counter-terrorism issues?

Lol, I have even heard that some Shi'a used to praise Erdogan and Qatar [despite being American allies] before the whole Syrian conflict started, which really shows you how easily Shi'a can be misled into falling in love with certain political figures in the Sunni world.

Yet they are quick to shout against Iraq because of their own inferiority complex, they are afraid to anger the other side so they take their annoyance out on their own brethren unless there is a real conflict of interest with the other side.

There is a reason why all this happens, it's because people only like to see and read what they want to see and read.

I can't talk on the stupidity of some Shias. 

But how come liberating Kuwait against Saddam was a bad idea? To your information, Iran and US joined to strike a blow to Taliban in Afghanistan (which went successful). And they did offer US a helping hand in Iraq also. What Iranians meant by this help was that "US wants to remove Saddam and we too but US will kill millions to grab a single person. So, if we provide them intel on Saddam, the results will be quick without any great damage".

This was infact a great idea but US backed-off and called Iran an 'axis of evil' and invaded Iraq and we all know how bad that was. Not because Saddam was gone (he was already too weak to stay) but because millions were killed in Iraq and US threatened Iran also. 

In fact, Saddam asked Iran to cooperate in the invasion of Kuwait which Iran denied (It was said by FM Zarif in an interview at council of Foreign Relations or Asian Society maybe).

So, Hafez al Assad doesn't seem to be a bad guy in the liberation of Kuwait. 

And why he is important? Let me tell you. Syria of Hafez al Assad is one of the most important men because of which Palestinian cause is still a thing. Egypt, Jordan and the entire Arab states normalized and signed pacts with Israel but Syria didn't and infact stood with complete honesty for the palestinian cause. This happened because of Hafez only.

Second, after the invasion of Lebanon, the man who played the most important role in helping the Hezbollah to rise and defeat the zionist occupation. That was a marvelous achievement which boosted the morals of the entire Islamic world against the zionists. 

I agree that Lebanon is apparently an American colony. They celebrate the American Independence day as if they are Americans. 

But now politically, the sphere has shifted a little. A good part of Lebanon is taken away by the resistance which is good. Though Hezbollah can take over the entire Lebanon within a night but they don't aim at doing so because of the Israeli Enemy sitting on the door. 

So, Assads are politically very significant and have been on the right side for a long time. Comparing it with Abadi won't be appropriate though I don't hate Abadi. The Iraqi politics is highly complex. Abadi was a staunch opponent of General Suleimani basically. He went to US when ISIS took over and his attitude was not quite welcoming for the Iranians.