Inner Peace

Thoughts 2018

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, notme said:

On another matter, opinions please:

My son agreed to mow the lawn for an agreed upon payment. It's been two days of fine lawn mowing weather and he had no homework on at least one of the two days. At what point should I assume he has broken his agreement and mow the lawn myself? 

The grass is nearly knee high in some spots. Nobody else in my family seems bothered it. The neighbors have mowed their lawn twice since the last time ours was done. 

If your neighbor calls the city to report your grass being too high, you will receive a notification that excessive growth promotes the nesting and proliferation of rodents, snakes, mosquitoes and vermin, not to mention it diminishes the property value of said neighbors and the whole city. Mow the lawn yourself and pay yourself twice as much for doing it.

6 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Mow the lawn yourself and pay yourself twice as much for doing it.

Well it kind of went down like that. It's not my money, it's my husband's money, so I told my husband I would like more money than my son had agreed to, and then my husband mowed the lawn himself. 

I would have done it, so it wasn't intentional "womanly manipulation". Our lawn is large, but flat. It takes a while but isn't difficult, I can mow it as well as anyone, if someone else takes care of my usual routine tasks. 

But it's done now, so I'm content. 

Teacher comment to a cohort of girls' parents yesterday evening: "Nothing good ever happened on a smartphone after 10pm". 

Maryam does not have a smartphone. One less thing to worry about.

^ there was also lots of talk about managing the girls' mental health and how the school discourages them from telling each other what grades they got for tests etc.

Lots of emphasis on girls' needing to keep up their social/exra-curricular activities as their GCSE (age 16) exams approach. Seems to be an army of (psycho)therapists, counsellors and study skills advisors on hand to help them.

I did tell Maryam when we were in Mashhad that she needed to have a conversation with 'Reza joon' the way Iranian women do (according to my mum anyway). And she really must be more particular about her prayers - to help manage the mental side of things.

We were also told to hear the girls' stories even if we did not understand the teenage mindset.

Edited by Haji 2003

04Oct18

l am watching the late news show these thousands of bused-in women screaming in the streets over the Kavanaugh nomination.

Reminds me of the "October March". Also known as the "Women's March on Versailles". They haven't ransacked any armories yet.

Later in French Revolution history, the "Paris Mob".

Cured by "the whiff of grape shot". Can you remember who?

2 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

Never heard about grapeshot before. It was special ammunition for a cannon during the time of Napoleon. 

That reaction is NOT a laugh but a "Happy" as you nearly completely correct.

The Paris Mobs were a real threat to the assembly. Nobody did anything about it. Napoleon returned from one of his campaigns and was completely disgusted.

So, the next time the rioters marched on the gov't Napoleon sent messengers to the Mob to stop. They didn't. When they got near the assembly, the cannons opened fire with grapeshot --which was the close range shot.

This is what elevated General Napoleon from a honored citizen to national hero.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:37 AM, Haji 2003 said:

^ there was also lots of talk about managing the girls' mental health and how the school discourages them from telling each other what grades they got for tests etc.

Lots of emphasis on girls' needing to keep up their social/exra-curricular activities as their GCSE (age 16) exams approach. Seems to be an army of (psycho)therapists, counsellors and study skills advisors on hand to help them.

I did tell Maryam when we were in Mashhad that she needed to have a conversation with 'Reza joon' the way Iranian women do (according to my mum anyway). And she really must be more particular about her prayers - to help manage the mental side of things.

We were also told to hear the girls' stories even if we did not understand the teenage mindset.

That’s really interesting, I wish our schools had anything like this. I always wished someone would notice at school that my grades were falling and ask me what was wrong but no one did. Also Idk if this helps but I was brought up in a pretty religious family and practiced well. I never missed prayers until I was an adult and my mental health got really bad. I always had a really personal connection with Imam Hussain (as) as well. Even so I have had a really hard time with my mental health. I was diagnosed with ptsd, bpd, anxiety and depression by my last psych. I guess I’m just trying to say even if the religious(?) things are in order we still can need help in other ways so keep an open mind? 

3 hours ago, eloquence said:

@hasanhh

(Or anyone else) do you know about grounded theory related to qualitative research? I don’t understand how to use it

lt is a form of inductive logic --a relatively small sample used to inference a generalization.

Like style manuals in newsrooms and on campuses these 'methods' change over time as does the words used. So l don't want to write anything that will confuse you. Check your handbooks.

l can give you an example where inductive logic can go wrong. A century ago when studies were beginning on mental illnesses one doctor made a survey of the homes from which his schizophrenic patients came from. Every one of these homes had in common a cat. So he concluded cats cause schizophrenia.

My condolences to the believer and to the Imam of our time(ajf) on the day of martyrdom of our 4th Imam, Imam As-Sajjad(as).

I swear when I saw the condition of the graves of the holy Imams(as) in jannatul Baqi it absolutely broke my heart! 

Please remember to recite his ziyara and do the two rakah ziyara prayers:

25muharram.jpg

http://www.duas.org/ziaratimamzainulabideen.htm

shia-muslims-ashura+%252818%2529.jpg

Apologies for quoting myself,

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, hasanhh said:

04Oct18

l am watching the late news show these thousands of bused-in women screaming in the streets over the Kavanaugh nomination.

Reminds me of the "October March". Also known as the "Women's March on Versailles". They haven't ransacked any armories yet.

Later in French Revolution history, the "Paris Mob".

but l wish to add this:

Sen Mitch McConnell interview by Laura lngram not only mention "the Mob" three times (times 2' , 3+' and ~8:45) but that these Mobs were at  Senator's home even at night in a clear effort to intimidate the Senate.

McConnell predicts this will backfire. He also predicts that he and Sen Feinenstein and the other Demoncrats "will get through this"(animosity and disgust) for the Demoncrats promoting this.

OPINE: As l have advocated on two other threads, it is in our interest to vote only for Republicans for the House and Senate.

Even here on SC, another member notified us a couple years back about Feinenstein and her husband making criticizing lsrael a crime in California. You want these people dictating to you on a national level. These self-righteous commissars must be voted against.

Vote !

So I just heard a majlis and speaker was going on and on about wine of love and he said something like 'we drink at least 5 wines and not more than 14'. I am pretty sure that my community believes in re-incarnation stuff, so was this a hint that every shia is allowed to have at least 5 permanent/ temporary marriages/ relationships but they are not allowed to have more than 14? Interesting. 

1 hour ago, rkazmi33 said:

So I just heard a majlis and speaker was going on and on about wine of love and he said something like 'we drink at least 5 wines and not more than 14'. I am pretty sure that my community believes in re-incarnation stuff, so was this a hint that every shia is allowed to have at least 5 permanent/ temporary marriages/ relationships but they are not allowed to have more than 14? Interesting. 

Not at all, Sister. The speaker you heard was talking metaphorically. The 5 are the Panjtan-e Pak (Prophet SA, Imam Ali AS, Fatima Zahra AS, Imam Hassan AS, and Imam Hussein AS) and the 14 are the Masoomeen (Prophet SA, Fatima Zahra AS and the 12 Imams AS). 

On 10/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, hasanhh said:

lt is a form of inductive logic --a relatively small sample used to inference a generalization.

Like style manuals in newsrooms and on campuses these 'methods' change over time as does the words used. So l don't want to write anything that will confuse you. Check your handbooks.

l can give you an example where inductive logic can go wrong. A century ago when studies were beginning on mental illnesses one doctor made a survey of the homes from which his schizophrenic patients came from. Every one of these homes had in common a cat. So he concluded cats cause schizophrenia.

Oh, wow thank you. We’re using it in experimental psychology for a study we’re conducting as a class. We were supposed to draft a methods section (but we haven’t done any research yet so I guess it was like a hypothetical thing)

14 hours ago, eloquence said:

Can we recite ziyarat ashur sitting down? And follow along with a YouTube video? Or is it better to recite yourself 

Salam ,it can be recited in any situation , it's recommend to recite it as much as possible.

Excerpt from a recently banned UK school textbook:

_103765502_passage.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45784222

The debate is not so much whether or not the claim is inaccurate, but rather that there needs to be more historical and social context to explain why the above situation might exist.

Thought 1:

They wear the wedding ring on the right hand in Russia.

Thought 2:

Its really disgusting when people blow their noses right into the ground. I was talking to a Russian colleague this morning and he just take a step back and blew his nose into the ground and then wiped his nose with his hand and then wiped his hand on his shirt. I have seen people do this in other countries as well, its really disgusting.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:42 AM, IbnSina said:

Thought 1:

They wear the wedding ring on the right hand in Russia.

Thought 2:

Its really disgusting when people blow their noses right into the ground. I was talking to a Russian colleague this morning and he just take a step back and blew his nose into the ground and then wiped his nose with his hand and then wiped his hand on his shirt. I have seen people do this in other countries as well, its really disgusting.

@IbnSina

Can't you make posts in the travelling thread and write about your trips there so that we (who love travelling) can find some inspiration from your experiences? If you want to that is. It would be fun to read though :)

15 hours ago, eloquence said:

Is balsamic vinegar halal?

Is there a reason you think it might not be? Is it made from alcohol? 

---------

Thought: watching Tropical Storm Michael. Prayers for those who are affected. 

Which (if either) is more reliable: The Weather Channel online or AccuWeather online? They don't predict the same right now for my area, not even close. 

2 hours ago, notme said:

Which (if either) is more reliable: The Weather Channel online or AccuWeather online? They don't predict the same right now for my area, not even close. 

Other than my local station, l go to National Weather Service, National Hurricane Center, and so forth. l do not rely on those nutworks. They only try to hype and show-off.

Edited by hasanhh