Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Inner Peace

Thoughts 2018

Thank you to ShiaChat members who were Popular Contributors last week. We salute you! @Intellectual Resistance @ali_fatheroforphans @IbnSina @shiaman14 @Ali Mahdi @realizm @Hidaren @.InshAllah. @hasanhh @Islandsandmirrors @Sirius_Bright @MourningKarbala

uexj_photo_Û²Û°Û±Û¸-Û°Û³-Û°Û¸_Û±Û¶-Û³Û²-Û´Û·.jpg

The true home for heart is in the presence of Allah, not this inferior soil!

For this, those who are abandoned from the true home are restless and anxious, even if their anxiety and restlessness isn’t visible and apparent, but when they pay attention to the depths of their soul, they would see that they are in anxiety.

Keeping busy with material matters and illusions have kept the human away from heeding God and their truth, so they don’t heed their restlessness and spiritual pains.

The problem of mankind today is that they assume their tranquility and stability would be achieved by satisfying their desires and lusts. So, they try their best to utilize the world more and more, but they will never reach their want. Because the world of nature isn’t the world of tranquility and stability.

The material world means the world of waves! In a world based on restlessness where nothing has stability, how can tranquility be achieved?

Ayatullah Ali Foroughi

https://t.me/forooghetohid/1891

---

Needless to say, this doesn’t mean tranquility in this world can’t be achieved. It won’t be achieved by these material means -- what we are wrongly trying to use for this matter.

29 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

To Mecca, a much needed trip !

One of our friends' is leaving to go tomorrow. As she was visiting us today to say her goodbyes, I had such a strong sense of wanting to go too! 

So, l am sitting here waiting for the news to begin when l see this trashy commercial. Flashing lights, dancing, laughter, rock band, and so on.

lt is a "party for jesus" they are advertising. 

So l look up their website.

ln a banner line it reads:   "A wild celebration of stories, songs and wonders. Because: jesus is alive, and hope is real." 

Bold face by editor. Their reason for this?  Easter.

Opine: To many people, this speaks for itself. Can we imagine a rock-fest inside a mosque for the Prophet-saws or for Ibrahim or Moses in a synagogue (and mosque).

l can't think of anything else socially acceptable to write.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:01 PM, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Why are summers so much better than winters?

I'm gonna guess it's the sunlight.

The sun is inherently uncomfortable and unpleasant. This isn't my personal tastes, this is in Quran. Paradise is described as a place wherein there is no sun.

Sun worship in modern culture, and modern western culture in particular, has gone way out of hand.

PS winter is awesome and snow is beautiful.

1 hour ago, baradar_jackson said:

Unless you have seasonal affective disorder.

And how do get your Vitamin D? Food sources aren’t sufficient. So it’s either sunlight or supplements. Of which source does God intend?

On 3/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Why are summers so much better than winters?

I'm gonna guess it's the sunlight.

Actually, it's the lack of snow.

Sun shines here most every day during winter. It helps you forget it's -30 some days. You lose half your stuff under the snow. Everything except the lawn mower has to be four wheel drive. Fishing means drilling half a meter through ice. No matter how tall your boots, they still get snow in them. Spring has sprung, so only -17 by this weekend. Snowing out right now.

The geese are scouting, but not much open ground yet. Actually saw a goose pushing snow away to make a nest today.

Next the ducks will nest in my pond, all the colourful birds will be back, bats and butterflies. Plush green grass and trees, gardens growing, flowers, the honey bees will come back to life. Save $250 a month in heating bills, live in a T shirt. Yeah, I can't wait.

We've been having spring here since late January, at least it's about the same as was a usual spring where I grew up. (Seventy degrees one day, snow the next, then warm and sunny again the next.)

On 3/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, Chaotic Muslem said:

To Mecca, a much needed trip !

the amount of peace in this place does not belong to this world.

Imam Hussain was forced to leave mecca under a threat to kill him even if he was holding on the clothes of ka,bah , i cannot even imagine that.

This place has a grace that forces even mushriks to take care of it and honor it, those at the time of imam hussain didnt even have that much of fake attitude.

i prayed for you all

1 hour ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

the amount of peace in this place does not belong to this world.

Imam Hussain was forced to leave mecca under a threat to kill him even if he was holding on the clothes of ka,bah , i cannot even imagine that.

This place has a grace that forces even mushriks to take care of it and honor it, those at the time of imam hussain didnt even have that much of fake attitude.

i prayed for you all

Thank you, CM! Please pray for ShiaChat guests, too. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, baradar_jackson said:

The sun is inherently uncomfortable and unpleasant. This isn't my personal tastes, this is in Quran. Paradise is described as a place wherein there is no sun.

Sun worship in modern culture, and modern western culture in particular, has gone way out of hand.

Bro, that is not what Ayat 76:13 reveals:  Nor see the Sun --no freezing cold-- from shades ---where in...

ln other words, no weather extremes.

The desert Sun is "a burner".

On 3/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, Reza said:

Unless you have seasonal affective disorder.

And how do get your Vitamin D? Food sources aren’t sufficient. So it’s either sunlight or supplements. Of which source does God intend?

Ahhh yes. Vitamin D.

How could I forget. The dragon, the unicorn, the mythical being that hovers over the sun lover. Beckoning him. Seducing him. Tricking him into having a completely irrational and indefensible preference.

Let's just do a quick comparison, for discussion's sake.

Now, I've lived in cold climates. I've lived in climates where it is more or less winter weather for 9 months out of the year. And very little sunlight for those 9 months. I didn't take any supplements or any of that crap. And what happened? Well I'll tell you what didn't happen: I didn't die. So there's that.

Now let's say I went 9 months without water. OK strike that: let's say I went THREE DAYS without water. What would happen is: I would drop dead. Three days is the magic number, isn't it? I'm no doctor but that's what I've heard them say. Three days without water and, kaput.

Three days without water: You die. Months and months and months without direct sun exposure? You don't die.

So I think it's fair to conclude: water > vitamin D.

All this hype about vitamin D and supplements and blah blah blah... that's all it is: hype. Vitamin D has become more inflated than QB contracts in the NFL. We don't need direct exposure to sunlight any more than we need nutrition bars. It's a fad, not a need.

Funny story: I work outside. In the glorious, life-affirming, paradisical sun-drenched landscape. (ha ha)

And, like all normal people, who have throughout the thousands of years of human civilization, been in the sun, I cover myself from head to toe (with clothing, not with that nonsensical "sun blocker" which they invented for nonsensical reasons). This is how it's supposed to be. People are supposed to shield themselves from the sun, with their clothing. And this is why in desert climates, across the world, throughout history, people have dressed like this: head to toe, breathable fabrics, and so on. So, admittedly, Western clothing is certainly not ideal, but it's what we've got and so that's what I roll with (also, if I wear thin fabrics they will rip to shreds unfortunately). In any case... my sister, upon learning this, asked me: but won't you become deprived of vitamin D?

That's the extent of this delusion. That we are willing to throw out THOUSANDS of years of human experience, for the sake of a mythical being. A superstition. A fad. Instead of viewing the sun as something to protect ourselves from, we view it as a source of comfort and pleasure. It is a cognitive as well as a spiritual distortion and I'll get to that in a minute. Let me first clarify one thing so nobody gets it twisted: my preference for winter is in part due to personal reasons which do not necessarily apply to everyone (for example: I probably "feel" around 10-20 degrees F hotter than the average person at any given moment, and moderate physical activity warms me up very quickly; you could say I'm an AMD processor, not an Intel). However there are other reasons which are firmly rooted in reason and are more universal but I won't mention them in interests of not wasting your time.

So back to the original topic. Sun and that. interestingly enough, where I live, we get sun probably 95 percent of the days of the year, perhaps more. And I'm talking stark blue skies. Not a cloud in sight. Very little precipitation. And yet... people still bemoan the rain, in the rare instance when it does rain!! It's like God is giving them the medicine they need in order to live and they are rejecting it. Kind of like those idiot dogs who reject medicine from a veterinarian. It's beyond pathetic and stupid. Again: this is a cognitive and spiritual distortion. It's not a small issue, it's actually a big issue if you look at the root of it. The root of it is an absolute distortion. They are understanding divine blessings as a curse, and the real curse of their existence (living in a desert hellscape) as a blessing and a virtue!

If not for modern economies of scale and the mass importation of water, we'd all be forced to abandon this place by now. (Unless, of course, all of that vitamin D helps the people survive the lack of food and water, which based on what I've heard, I'm sure it will)

I actually wrote a much longer and better post just a few hours ago but I lost it... because technology likes to spite me. But I wanted to briefly mention the Quran's stance here. And I have engaged in this discussion many times and every time, bringing Quran into the mix ultimately results in the same reaction: silence. It basically triggers the reaction of: "uhhhh, I don't want to let go of my irrational preference but I can't really argue against this, so..."

Obviously there are different contexts in which the sun is mentioned. Mostly as a sign ("by the sun and by the moon"). Sometimes as a source of discomfort and pain (like in the ayah mentioned by brother @hasanhh). But I think what is most telling are the verses about paradise. How is paradise described? It's always like this:

to them We shall surely give lofty dwellings in Paradise, underneath which rivers flow, to live therein

Didn't let me copy the arabic for some reason but whatevs.

Anyway: paradise is always described like so. Running water, greenery, and so on. These are universal, embedded in the human psyche and soul. Comfort comes from water, greenery, shade. (Even in English there is the colloquial term: to have it "made in the shade" ... it's not "made in the blistering sun"). Even sun worshippers implicitly understand this, which is why they like to build water fountains and set up irrigation systems in an attempt to sort of imitate forests or gardens which spring up naturally in other more fertile lands. Why? Because these are matters of the soul. There's no running away from them. We naturally seek out these things.

So, you can think I'm crazy. You can think I'm nuts. I don't really mind. But guess what?

I'm on one side. And the people responsible for making PHOENIX one of the largest growing cities in the United States, are on the other side. So, suffice to say, I like being on my side.

In conclusion:

10 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

@ali_fatheroforphans @Hameedeh @Heavenly_Silk

@Islandsandmirrors

What do you do when you get a vague answer from your marja?

Assess the situation, weigh up the pros and cons and do what I feel is best at the time. 

7 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

@Islandsandmirrors

I would think about the situation and how it would benefit me. 

15 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Ahhh yes. Vitamin D.

Probably your longest post in SC history...and it’s about Vitamin “D”enialism and sun shunning?

Life is qualitative, not just a binary “alive” or “dead”. Vitamin D deficiency is well known to be associated with negative mood, immunosuppression, chronic pain, and the like. 

Also, more people live closer to the equator than near the poles. How did that happen?

8 hours ago, notme said:

@baradar_jackson shade doesn't exist in the dark.  

I'm not talking about dark. I'm talking about cloud cover.

And what you're saying is correct: one can say the shade is a relief from the sun, and both are necessary (hardship and the relief of said hardship, as is the case with all facets of life). But that's different from saying  "go be in the sun, it's really nice."

I'm not talking from a spiritual perspective here; from a spiritual perspective it's all good. Every weather is good.

I'm talking from a worldly perspective; from a comfort perspective. The notion that the sun is a source of comfort is totally invented and irrational.

16 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

@Islandsandmirrors

People who have posted at ShiaChat in the past have said that they sent a clarification (as a followup) and waited for the second reply. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Congratulations to all fellow Shias on the birth of Imam Ali (as).

CremonS

In one of my proudest internet moments, Starman called me Macgyver. 

This Starman:

104997473-40110304192_d1bc0db0ce_h.1910x

There's more than one. This guy in the Roadster on a route to the Asteroid Belt called me Macgyver. I am so proud of myself.

_____

Also, wishing a blessed Easter or Passover to all our members and readers who observe it. 

I have noticed that mean people are of two kinds. One kind of people are mean to their family members but they are really nice to other people. They are mostly narcissists. Other kind of people may not care about other people as much but they are not mean to their own family members. 
Countries are the same. US and other western countries are good with their own citizens but they are involved in killing people in other countries. While Russia and China may not cause problems for other countries but they kill their own citizens. I have noticed that among eastern people, 90% of people act like narcissists. They are really nice to other people but they are mean to their own family members. Especially men, whenever I complained about my ex husband, other men started doing nice gestures to make me happy. But I didn't care. It doesn't matter if thousands of men are nice to you, if your own husband is mean, it makes your life difficult. 
I don't really care about strangers but I care deeply about my own family members. People call me selfish but how is this selfishness? When you are caring about your family members, you are still caring about another person. Isn't is better to have 4 or 5 deep relationships rather than having 40-50 superficial relationships? Don't eastern people take their family members for granted because they know their family members can never leave them? And why is being popular among people so important for eastern people? 

In short, the main point of my rant is that this world will become a better place if every single man decides to focus on his own wife instead of worrying about 20-25 women. It is true, every man does CARE about that many women and his wife is usually not among those women. 

33 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

In short, the main point of my rant is that this world will become a better place if every single man decides to focus on his own wife instead of worrying about 20-25 women. It is true, every man does CARE about that many women and his wife is usually not among those women. 

This is because Most of Sins of men are from their Gaze (eye) &women from tongue .