Inner Peace

Thoughts 2018

Rate this topic

It was below -40 Celsius where I live for most of the winter break.

Worst thing about it was that it was too cold to get to the neighborhood outdoor rink.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

A picture of Zeeshan Zaveris library:

Zeshan's Library.JPG

A picture of @Nader Zaveri library [old picture, he owns many more books now]:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-TFIWPFsrHQbnhjMkROTi0tVTA/edit

dCLKAFMbF7UXmYyHyGsubem2MEw9eZ5o10jGwGm5

nkDYIQp5srgeK6ZhM8AhACP4znb1yF_k8Z-hACgPh

BZy1GiI7PDfcGFrD91ZM0C3hWH11anwC7-OTtR-e

May Allah grant us the chance to have personal libraries like these. 

To those who want to impose cleaning on women, are you aware Ali ibn Abi Talib was the one who swept ? He and lady Fatima (as) had a perfect marriage of mutual respect, counsel, and support.

ـ علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن هشام بن سالم ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه‌السلام قال كان أمير المؤمنين صلوات الله عليه يحتطب ويستقي ويكنس وكانت فاطمة سلام الله عليها تطحن وتعجن وتخبز.

Ali Bin Ibrahim, from his father, from Ibn Abu Umeyr, from Hisham Bin Salim, 

(It has been narrated) from Imam Jaffer as Sadiq (as) who said: ‘Amir Al-Momineen used to ignite the fire and draw the water and sweep, and Syeda Fatima (as) used to grind and knead and bake’.

الحديث الأول : حسن.

(Hasan, an authentic tradition, al-Kafi Volume 8)

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

Just to clarify, those pictures (Library) are not my own personal pictures. As much as i revere and respect brother Nader, i can assure you all i have not been invited into his house yet sadly. He posted them in this thread: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235016926-photo-of-your-library/?page=2

I am in no way an insider or can give details about him, and i am (sadly) not related to the great man and his brother. 

I find books pretty, especially Arabic ones, because you have those lovely patterns and the books align together to give you the overall title when the volumes are stacked together. No doubt a layman like me could even hope to understand one of those books, but for sure i can admire them from a distance. 

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

On 01/01/2018 at 5:30 PM, hasanhh said:

Over in the PoorJoke thread, l posted this morning that in readying for wudu, l couldn't tell if my feet or the bare floor were the coldest.

Tomorrow, the local weather hysteric is 'predicting' "record cold".

Where in the heck is the global warming Trump promised US ?

:ranting: "And it is getting cold down here, too."

How are you surviving in the cold? From the pictures i'm seeing, it's like being on the moon of Jupiter. 

3 hours ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

How are you surviving in the cold? 

They're now predicting something they call a "bomb cyclone". Sounds dramatic. Anyone here been hit yet? 

7 hours ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

How are you surviving in the cold? From the pictures i'm seeing, it's like being on the moon of Jupiter. 

l went to Arctic Warfare skool, so l do ok.

l have the thermostat at 61'F. And have a little space heater on low at my feet since l am not moving around.

l had to look this up ~10 days ago. The temperature records that is. ln 1965 we had a warm Xmas Eve and l asked my Dad should we drain the waterlines to/for the cattle. He said a 'no' because he thought it would stay warm. Of course it froze overnight when the local city temperature hit 28'F. So we spent Xmas morning thawing the steel water pipes which ran over the augur feeder to the trough with little bowls of burning kerosene. lt took about 3 hours as the feeder alone was 75 feet (~24m). Finally we got the water flowing to fill the trough. What l found unusual was that the glove l held the kerosene in was stuck-froze to my hand.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:35 AM, notme said:

We are starting the year with temperature too cold for the heat pump to work! My toes froze! (Not really, but it's a bit chilly here.)

New Years Eve, -38C, New years day, a balmy -7. 2018 is already better than 2017. 

6 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

New Years Eve, -38C, New years day, a balmy -7. 2018 is already better than 2017. 

My God.

It was like a freezer or something ? 

And did you hear Trump saying the cold weather is a sign that Global Warming is good.

21 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

New Years Eve, -38C

Pah, that's barely plug-in-the-car weather. :coffee:

I think it might've dropped to a nighttime low of -50 degrees with the windchill here last week.

15 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Don't argue with ignorant people. They'll dumb you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Yes, our holy 1st Imam gave us this advice:

"The moment you start arguing with an ignorant fool, you have already lost" ~ Imam Ali (a.s).

14 hours ago, Hassan- said:

with or without windchill?

That was the thermometer on the wall. Wasn't a lot of wind, so not sure the windchill. 

Warmed up to 0, now the ice quakes on the lakes are pushing on the land and taking out houses.

@yusur317 @notme @Islandsandmirrors @repenter @Hassan- @IbnSina @Sisterfatima1

Don't worry about me, I am safe and sound, alhamdullilah but I'm currently experiencing a blizzard with hurricane force winds. It is a pretty wild experience, it has been happening since 7 a.m. I didn't realize it was that bad until I looked outside of the front door. It's the kind of cold that chills the bones.

Fast winds are slamming

Against the wooden shingles;

White death kissed the ground

On 1/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Intellectual Resistance said:

How are you surviving in the cold?

You have to dress really well and be as resilient as a lion.

16 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

You have to dress really well and be as resilient as a lion.

And stay inside and hope the electricity doesn't go out! 

And if you've got a heat pump, be sure to have a backup heat source. We've got portable electric space heaters, so a power outage would be quite uncomfortable for us. So far the winds here are not terrible.